Thread: ppi question

ppi question

Hi all, it looks like I may soon become an owner after years of waiting and occassional searching.
    Very exciting. I am having the car inspected next week, is there anything I should ask specifically to have looked at??

The performance package has been installed already.
    thanks kindly, John

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Dealers are not supposed to install a PP without having first done a four wheel alignment check and the car must fall within certain specifications or they will not install the kit. After the install, the are supposed to perform the four wheel alignment and everything should be set to factory specs. I would ask to see the report on the alignment by the dealer who installed the PP. Any car with "The Damage" will be outside of the pre alignment check specs and they are not supposed to install the PP. Also, they should have closely inspected the shock towers for even slight doming. If you can speak with the mechanic who did the install, so much the better. Make sure the run flats are gone and if not, replace them with Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires. Cosmetically, make sure you do your due diligence meaning check to see if the car has had any prior paint or body work and, most importantly, that all of the panels are the original ones. The front fenders, the engine hood, the doors, the trunk lid, and the rear bumper behind the license plate should all have tags on them with the VIN of the car. On the doors, they are on the underneath side. If you do not know how to tell original paint, find someone who does. Finally, check the engine hood alignment against both front fenders. While the gaps may not be perfectly uniform from the windshield to the headlights, if the gaps narrow to a point where the panels are almost touching or touching by the headlights, I would be very careful.

Excellent response. Thanks.
    Hood shut lines are very consistent for the whole length of the hood and the front line is also very consistent. I did not know that the performance pack was only for cars that had damage and thought it available by request to prevent damage.

I will certainly check body panel numbers, thats a good one.

No, the PP is ONLY for undamaged cars. BMW dealers pre inspect the cars and are not supposed to install the PP in damaged cars. If the car has the damage, that horse has already left the stable.

Ok, thanks for the clarification. Makes me feel much better!!

Wow, 101 people looked at this and only Hayvenhurstkid was able to offer any suggestions. I am active on a lot of car boards and must say, have normally found when you ask for help, it flows much more freely than 1 out of 100.

Maybe I should not say anything, being new to this group, but I thought (hoped) that the post would get some response or at least encouraging words for a new owner. Am I missing something.......?

I think that we all saw that HHK had given you a very complete answer to your question within 30 minutes of you asking it, so there wasn't much to add! As you'll see by long term ownership this is a very supportive and helpful group, but it does bear saying that everything you need to know about the cars is already written on here, so by doing a little research and reading you'd already have all the info you needed. If you want us to be more specific about the car you are buying then you'd need to give us the last 5 of the VIN.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

thanks Andrew, appreciate the input. I know from owning different cars that each presents its own set of ownership issues so thought there might be other specifics offered from owners with different viewpoints.
    I did read a lot of searchs and have followed many issues with these cars over the years. Another reason for asking in a fresh post is to pick up any new info that might be out there.
    I do know that the newbie asking about the cars is an often repeated question!
    Last five-61987.

With such a late VIN you are skipping most of the early car's issues, so only the usual things like soft-top strings and canvas, shock tower domes, and quality of interior (ie: scratches on the plastic) etc. The later cars are very trouble free, and I'm myself looking to buy an '03 for my long term collection.
    Andrew Macpherson

thanks, when you say long term collection, do you mean to save or just the newest car you can find to drive? One of the things that excites me about the z8 is the vintage quality and rareness but new running gear and chasis dynamics. I have owned some wonderful vintage cars but often required a lot of time to get ready to drive and were certainly much more unpredictable. I have several years of experience with the Z8 motor and find it to be a gem.

I'm looking for a long term keeper, my own car is so well set up to drive that I will be doing tours, rallies etc with it every year. I want another one to put less than 200 miles a year on, but also in a different color combo, so I can take different kinds of pictures with it. I'm really after stratus/black but may take a topaz/crema if one comes along with under 2,000 miles on it.
    Andrew Macpherson

What happened to the stratus bl you told me about at Cardiff Classics? Gorgous car. I can see why you would want a different color. Too bad that 200 mile car listed recently was not stratus, that would have been perfect for your needs.
    What is the mileage target you are looking for, I will keep my eyes open for you.

When did the first performace packs get installed?

I'm looking for an under 2,000 miles, mint museum piece, VIN 62000 or higher.

There is a full thread on the PP in the Frame Forum, can't remember the exact date off hand, and running to the airport.
    Andrew Macpherson

The Stratus/Black car sold to a buyer in Belgium for $125,000. I bought the Stratus/Red 02 that I luckily found at the same place by calling on the black interior car and finding out they had the only red interior with a Stratus exterior ever brought to the U.S. Only 12 were ever built in this color combo.

I saw that Stratus/black, milage was too high, and it was too frayed at the edges for what I'm after. I want a super mint garage queen, so anyone out there see or know of one that fits that description call me!
    Andrew Macpherson

Andrew, vin numbers were transposed, correct last five are 61897. Please let me know any info you have about this car.

Nothing specific, but it is in the Mk lll 'sweet spot' if you will.
    Andrew Macpherson