Thread: Crystal Cove memories, June 2003

Crystal Cove memories, June 2003

Every Saturday between 6.30 and 8.30am you could catch an extraodrinary mix of cars of all ages and vintages in the sprawling carpark of the Crystal Cove shopping center. There was a Starbuck's at the heart of the action, word is they had a hard time making $300 on a Saturday morning, but these days they are doing over $4000 before 10am. You know they're smiling!

The 'Cove' is on the PCH, just south of the junction of Newport Beach Drive about 4 miles south of Newport Beach.

In these shots by Z8Bob Francois gets his car signed by it's creator, Henrik Fisker.
    Henrik talks to the owner of an AM DB7, sadly for the owner it isn't one of Henrik's new Vanquish or V8 designs.
    Finally Z8 owner Greg Johnson's stunning C type Jag, a car with an incredible history. It was signed by Sterling Moss and Norman Jewison, who both raced it in the 1950's. Greg raced it regularly in the Historic Races over his 15 years of ownership, until he was made an offer he coundn't refuse for the car in the autumn of '04.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

A victim of it's own success....

Crystal Cove is now getting into trouble with the loacls, this was sent to me today...

From Feb 1st 2006, there will be NO LINEUP in the morning. Owners that want to display their cars in the main lot can drive right in when they arrive in the morning. To discourage people from showing up at 5, Starbuck's and Pacific Whey will push back their opening time to 7.

It's important to know that the local residents have been complaining a lot about the noise and this is considered a final attempt to keep things quiet. Drive in quietly. Shut off your engine and stereo. And keep your voices down until 7.

The lots will still be coned off to discourage "non-show" cars from entering the show area, and will be closed off when the lot is full, when pedestrian traffic makes it unsafe to enter the lot, or at 7:15, whichever comes first.

The laws against displaying "for sale" signs and brochures will be even more strictly enforced as will parking by "show cars" in that first row by Starbuck's. If your car will draw a crowd, don't park there. At least not for more than 30 minutes.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly
    Crystal Cove is now getting into trouble with the locals, this was sent to me today...
    It'd be too bad if they shut it down, but if they do I'm sure it will just be moved elsewhere. I'm still hoping that Henrik will sign my car.

Crystal Cove is being shut down!

This bulletin has just been circulated around the web, and now we have it here too. The Irvine Company who operate the shopping center at Crystal Cove no longer feel they can deal with the early morning event that has become something of an institution.

The last one will be held on Oct 14th, anyone interested in doing a farewell run, as I'm sure the last one will see some incredible machines turn out - it is sure to go out with a bang!

Andrew Macpherson

Team Z8

If it doesn't rain I'll go one last time.

Too bad, but not unexpected considering how it's grown. I'll continue to check the web for it's new home.

Z8 Novice

I will also go, unless of course it is raining.

I have been there around 8 times with either my Z8 or my Ferrari, and I will go unless its raining. I would recommend anyone going to get there early, the last time I got there at 6:30 and there was just a few parking spots left. Geoff

Good point....

I think that maybe we should be there at 6.00 or earlier. Since I'm over an hour to the north I wonder if there are any nice hotels to do a local overnighter in?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

Hotel near crystal cove

There is a hilton or marriot right by crystal cove , it is on Newport Coast drive near the golf course. Its a nice place with a view of the ocean. Geoff

Z8 Novice

Crystal Cove is no more

The Irvine Company has shut down the Saturday get-together of exotics and classics at Crystal Cove in Newport Beach. The Ford Motor Company has graciously offered up their Premier Automotive Group HQ parking lot in Irvine near the Spectrum. It is hard to beat the view of the Newport Coast and hopefully the event can maintain some of its character. Thats the news from the OC..silver/black '00..

Anyone have pix of the final day there?

Or directions to and pix of the event at the new place?
    Andrew Macpherson

Rain stopped play...

I bailed as I didn't want to get my car wet. I guess that it ended on a sad note since it was such a grim and drizzely morn last weekend. Did anyone get any shots of the final day out?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

A little more info, sorry no pictures

Premier Automotive Group, #1 Premier, Irvine, CA 92618, Alton exit off Interstate 5.

This Saturday will be the first at the new site

Newspaper Article..

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...le_1314435.php

Z8 Novice

crystal cove weather

It actually drizzled on my way to Crystal Cove, but when I got there it was sunny the whole time. I almost did not go, I live about 5 minutes away and contemplated not going since my car has never seen rain, but I am glad since it was nice. Bender was there with his silver / black. I forgot my camera as usual, and there was alot of cars there. The police would not let anyone in till 7, so everyone waited on PCH till then. My friend Mark Greeley who started the show told me the show will continue at the Ford design center in the Irvine spectrum next Saturday. Geoff