Thread: Performance Package

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Performance Package

I just bought Zed0037 and thanks to the great discussion threads on the car, I was able to prevent a problem. I took her in to have new Michelin PS2 put on and to fix the center console.fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    While I was there I gave them the service manual on the PP kit and the BMW of Towson MD is going to install the kit (including an alignment) for $1900. I think that is a great price to what I have learned. But thanks mostly to the club for posting the necessary information to show that the labor involved was only 8.5 hours.>>
    > >
    Now this should make this car fun, and worry free driving. To date the car has 5600 miles. So I should have avoided any damage, as the panels are perfect gapped.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red
    Built 01/2000 (Former Owner)

Daily Driver
    2014 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
    All blacked out, 21" wheels, chipped to 560hp

Hobby car 2009 Z4, dual exhaust, 19" M3 wheels

Great news - welcome and congratulations!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks Andrew,fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    I appears to me that you may be running this forum, or at least a very enthusiastic participant. One question you can help me with, as I think you have a depth of knowledge on this topic - the Z8 -- Is the 3M clear bra a good idea? I mean does it add value, not harm the paint, and for a long-term application is it a pain to take off.>>
    >>
    I am looking to have the car detailed inside/outside, wheel wells, motor and underneath carriage. I would like to add the 3M after the detail, but I have concerns about the long-term issues with the 3M product, as I just had to take of the ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Californialace> window tint to pass my MD State Inspection.>>
    >>
    Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.>>
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

I have a clear bra on my car, but to be honest I don't know which brand it is, Peter Pan BMW put it on for me after I had the nose resprayed - the result of a very dusty and gritty 150 mile stretch of the I-15 on the way back from our Meet in the Middle drive. Ove the long term the plastic is sure to discolor, but then again so is the paint, so by the time you'll want to do a respray/restore it'll all be the same, with or without, but for the first 8-15 years the 3M stuff will keep the rock chips out of the paint.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

An alternative to the 3M product

Andrew and I had the same application of the 3M clear bra at Peter Pan. I had to pull mine later and when the time came to reapply a clear bra, I went with the Venture Tape product. I find that it is still superior in appearance (though subtle) after many months. Here is some more information - http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=864.
    Just be sure not to wipe wax against it at a right angle, but rather go parallel to any edge of the clear bra. As obvious as this may seem, I recently had an experienced detailer bury wax under a lifted edge of the hood section of the bra.

Cool PP Kit Installed

Just finished up my PP Kit install and ran into the same problem with the hood closing. Fortunately, the Chief Mechanic saw a great solution to the foam issue. He carved out the insulation from the back side, therfore saving the integrity of the outer seal look and feel.

That is good, because, 0037 has the 'Z8' impressed into the hood liner.

Total cost of install 2039.00 US.

Sad note, just to fix the inside console button for the phone tray was $1300. BMW says BMW NA doesn't provide any shop hour estimates for a Z8 and therefore we are at the mercy of them learning how to repair a factory car with our dollars. Paying for training should not be a business model for BMW. What does this group think?

I think BMW should honor their training requirements, and establish a baseline for repairs for what is going to be there claim to fame in 2025.
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by briandilley View Post
    ... Fortunately, the Chief Mechanic saw a great solution to the foam issue. He carved out the insulation from the back side, therfore saving the integrity of the outer seal look and feel.
    I think the better solution would have been to readjust the bar lower by making modifications to the mounting holes of the bar. Making alterations to the car, even if hidden from sight, is not a good idea, IMHO.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    IMHO, any competent mechanic with experience intalling PP's should NEVER have to make ANY modifications. This is the second Z8 I have had the PP installed in and the hood shuts with no effort. I would be VERY unhappy if it was not installed in exactly the correct position.

Z8 Madness
    In theory you are absolutely right. However, given the build variations both in the cars and the bar (otherwise, BMW would simply providing a drilling template), the hood closing problem is actually a common one. The "smart" mechanic is simply aware of this issue and will address it in a manner totally oblivious to the customer and without making alterations to the car.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Cool Too Late

Well, do we carve out foam that is hidden, or elongate holes that are structural. I think BMW doesn't educate their mechanics on this particular car and therefore if installed as defined will create what we see as a common issue. I preferred any holes drilled into a frame to be tight and held in place by friction nuts and a properly sized hole. I think elongating the holes is another type of 'hidden modification' and is potentially more harmful to the car. IMHO a benign hood liner issue is better than a hole modification. Thanks for the feedback, but the root of the problem is BMW lack of training, awareness, and motivation to train their mechanics on this car. Buyer beware,
    Zed0037

#60217 Silver/Crema
    Built 07/2000

#60037 Silver / Red

Daily Driver

Again, I have to go back to my first Z8 that I had the PP installed in last summer. I did my research ahead of time and also, thanks to this forum, I knew there was no margain for error in installing the brace in the correct position. I saw a car that the mechanic whom eventually worked on my car did the install in before letting him touch my car. Also, I asked the mechanic directly how many Z8 PP's he had done. I think at the time it was eight. Only then was I comfortable enough to let him do my car. Several other dealers had no idea what I was talking about or had mechanics who said they had never installed one but were willing to give it a try. That is where the problem comes in. I don't care how good a mechanic is, he needs to have several of the installs already to his credit. I paid about $400 more that several other dealers were quoting me on my latest Z8, but it was worth it to me knowing he had done my previous car with no issues and this was to be his 15th install. On a car of this caliber, I would be fuming if it did not go in perfectly. And no, you definately do not want to have them enlarge the holes where it is attached to the frame. Fortunately, at least they did not make the cuts in the pad visible.

Z8 Madness
    Agree with you.

However, unless you are allowed to watch them perform the install, you can't say for certain what was done to make everything fit. An experienced mechanic has very good odds of getting it right the first time. If not, something has to be adjusted by either (1) modifying the car, (2) modifying the bar, (3) getting a new bar in hopes that it "might" be slightly different enough to fit.

The same goes for headlights. Many Z8s with PP installed end up with headlights that are less-than-perfectly re-installed.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redz8 View Post
    The same goes for headlights. Many Z8s with PP installed end up with headlights that are less-than-perfectly re-installed.
    "Less than pertect" ? You're too kind RedZ8. These idiots re-attach sensors upside down ! I get nervous when I see someone with a tool in their hands get closer than 10 ft to any of my cars.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8 Madness
    Quote Originally Posted by DirkZ8 View Post
    I get nervous when I see someone with a tool in their hands get closer than 10 ft to any of my cars.
    The reality of it is, once the car goes into a dealership for service, anything can happen. There is little incentive for them to take care of someone else's car. Sure, the service manager will talk smooth, give you plenty of free starbucks coffee, and even hand you the keys to a nice loaner, but try asking to go back and watch them work on your car. The answer, conveniently, is NO for our safety reasons

Now that my car is out of warranty, I'm done with the dealer. For big ticket items, I'll try to arrange service with Dinan. For small maintenance stuff, I'll try to find a local shop willing to do the job with my involvement.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

The headlights in my 01 came back from when the PP was installed out of alignment with the hood and fender. After two more visits to the dealer, they fit like they did when the car first went in. On my 02, which was done last week, I specifically made the mechanic come out and look at the alignment of my lights before the work was done. When I picked the car up last Wednesday, they were perfect. Amazing what can happen when you stay on their behinds.

PP kit installation

If the performance kit is properly installed, there is never a reason to cut or trim the hood insulation. We have done approx 15 of the kits and although it is common for some slight contact of the brace and the hood insulation, if installed correctly there is never interference with the hood closing.

As these are hand built cars and some slight differences are possible, we measure and then test fit the brace by clamping it into place BEFORE drilling holes for mounting it. I would not do any modifications to the installation as this may cause significant problems with the nutserts that secure the brace.

Dana Caldwell
    Service & Parts Director
    Peter Pan BMW

Z8 Madness
    PPBMW, and in particular Dana are exception to the rule and have taken a proactive role in learning about the Z8 and providing exceptional service to this small community
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT