Thread: Beyern 19" Chrome Mesh Wheels

Z8 Novice

Beyern 19" Chrome Mesh Wheels

Gentlemen (and ladies) - I just bought a 2001 Black/Crema and I am waiting on delivery from NY. I spent the last two days searching wheels and tires and I have settled on the Beyern Mesh 19" in chrome finish. I need help with the tires. The dealer is recommending Cooper's 235/35 and 265/30 or T1R/s - help! What do you recommend?

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    If I were you I'd find a different dealer! Get Michelin PS2s in 245/40-19 and 275/35-19 and live happily ever after.

Ditto that!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice

Roger Dodger!

Gentlemen - thanks so much! I really appreciate it. that is why I posted before I bought. I will have them mount the Michelin PS2s as denoted! Again - thanks!!!

Z8 Novice
    Help - my tire dealer does not have a CLUE! Where casn I find the Michelin PS2's in 245/40-19 and 275/35-19. My guy here in S. Florida is totally confused.

Costco or Tirerack would both be good places to start, but any good tire shop should have them.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice

I have the 20" beyern mesh on my z8

I have the same wheels in 20" on my Z8, just beware, they are alot heavier than other wheels out there. When I switched from the stock 18" to the new 20" the ride did not suffer at all that I could tell, and I believe the Alpina came with 20"s, so you might want to go that way, it looks better to my eye anyway. Below is a pic of my car.
    Thanks, G

P.S, I think it does handle a bit better, I added the Dinan suspension and the PP and some new struts and shocks after the wheels/tires, which improved things more. By the way I have Michelin Pilot Sport Tires, they are the only tires I use on any of my performance cars anymore

Can your friend make us 19" special order wheels? For years I've been trying to find someone to make 19x9 & 19x10 versions of our OEM style wheels, do you think he could do it?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Yes, I will check with him tommorrow and see how much it would cost, he will also make the wheel so the stock center caps fit.
    Thanks, G

Z8 Novice
    I just talked to my friend and he said that doing them in a cast version is too expensive, it costs around $50k for the molds! But there is a better way, he can have them forged instead, they would be lighter that way as well. The only hitch is that it would have to be 25+ sets (100 wheels or more) in order to do it. Its easy at that point, he said the pricing would be roughly $800-$1000 for each wheel. And of course the factory center caps would be used also, he estimated the weight at around 15 to 18 lbs.
    Thanks, G

Could you show your friend this.....

and see if it makes sense to him as a practical solution to making the wheels. If we can find a way of doing it that will clear the Brembo big brakes that look so good on our car I think that we could posibly get enough folks interested in an OEM replica wheel that is lightweight, and takes the bigger range of 19" rubber that is available.

Andrew Macpherson

I'm so in if this one happens. I think BMW really nailed it with the OE wheel design. I'm a big believer that wheels should contribute to the design of the vehicle, rather than stand out separately, the OE wheel does this well. However, the only failing of the design is the size. To me 19" fills the wheel arches more appropriately.

As noted by Andrew, a 19" wheel opens up some rubber options and clears room for big brake kits.

Lighter wheels - pfhhhhh - who would want that?
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice

19" factory wheels

I will send a link to my friend regarding this and see what he comes up with, I think the wheel will have to be a one piece forged but I might be wrong. I'll let you know
    G

Z8Mania
    Put me down also- I think the OEM style in 19" would look great. Id like to see lightweight and strength as a priority.