Thread: Tranny question

Tranny question

Couldn't resist the title, sorry.

I have had my z8 about 3 months now. Car is a 2000 with 7000 miles on it. Since it is a low miles car, I took it to the dealer a couple of weeks ago to make sure it was up to date on all service issues etc.. Plus i had some minor issues addressed like the softop string replacement etc...

here is what service I had done:

1. four wheel alignment -had it done after reading the tip here.
    2. "low mileage" annual oil service as outlined in SIB 00 04 01 (do not reset normal service indicators)
    3.Perform injector and induction service. remove and reassemble fuel rail etc..
    4.Inquired on the PP, which is still ongoing.

Ok, so now that all of this is done I have noticed a new quirk: the clutch pedal has a slightly irregular movement when I disengage (release pedal) it. I realize they did not (or should not) have touched the transmission, but I can't help but feel the clutch pedal feels different. The travel on the return feels like it has more friction and as the change in denotes, it is not as smooth as before. The issue is not present all the time, but enough that it is annoying. Has anyone experienced this?

The previous owner of the car told me he usually started from a light in 2nd gear. He felt the car had so much torque, first gear was pointless. The gearing in first is so steep, I can see his point but I can't imagine this is good for the transmission.

Also, I noticed many of you have had the clutch valve removed. Can I get my dealer to do this? It was unclear from reading the threads.

Any thoughts on this?

Mahalo!

The car's brake and clutch share hydraulic fluid, so it is possible that they bled the brakes, but didn't bleed the clutch quite right. I'd suggest buying the modified CDV unit from Dave Zeckhausen and while you're on the Z8 part of his site I'd suggest it is worth getting the Posi-Quiet brake pads, (work great but make almost no black dust) and also the stainless steel braided brake lines. All these bits require re-bleeding of the hydraulic system. They're each great upgrades on their own, so it makes sense to do them all in one go.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thank You

Will the BMW dealer do these installs and mods if I provide the parts?

Sport Button On
    Andrew - are you saying that if I want to keep the OME (stock wheels) but want to upgrade the brakes that the Stop Techs are the only upgrages available? Or do you recommend biting the bullet and upgrading to the Brimbros with 19/20? wheels? I noticed that in your link above that they only show front brake upgrades.

The stock brakes are superb, and there is no need to change them at all, unless you want to make a visual change to the look of the car. I would however recommend changing the pads to ones that creates less dust, as the OEM pads are real dust-devils.

If you want to change your brakes and keep the stock wheels the only option is the StopTech kit, but if you want to put 19" or 20" inch rims on then you can also consider the Brembo brakes.

Pauhana, your BMW dealer can certainly do these upgrades, but whether they will or not depends on if they have the time, and inclination to do something "off menu".
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Your dealer may be unwilling to do the CDV replacement since there may be warranty concerns involved.

car is out of warranty...

any reason they wouldn't then? What about brake lines etc... -is everyone having their mods done at dealerships? (eissmann etc...

There are some really wonderful dealerships who have been very helpful to us Z8 owners, Peter Pan in the Bay Area being at the top of the list, and others who have been the model of dis-service, it really seems to depend on the nature of the team and owners at each dealership.
    Andrew Macpherson

There are other brakes available too and your...

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    If you want to change your brakes and keep the stock wheels the only option is the StopTech kit, but if you want to put 19" or 20" inch rims on then you can also consider the Brembo brakes.

Pauhana, your BMW dealer can certainly do these upgrades, but whether they will or not depends on if they have the time, and inclination to do something "off menu".
    local BMW dealer may do them, especially if they are Dinan Certified dealers/installers. Dinan makes a Brake upgrade for the Z8 that fits the Z8 stock wheels (or you can use their lightweight 18" wheels too) that is made by Brembo for Dinan and uses the Brembo GT--6 piston fronts and 4 piston rears with a stock size but performance rotors.

Hope that helps!
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102