Thread: $40k Z8 on Ebay!

Z8 Novice

$40k Z8 on Ebay!

Here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...212650431&rd=1

I'm not sure if its a scam or not, but he does say in the ad that he wants $40,000 for it minimum. It is an odd color combo, but if it is for real I would buy it just to have another one! Occasionally on Ebay there are too good to be true ads, they generally end up being some kind of scam. But I am going to check into it.
    GGG

Z8 Novice
    I just checked out the vehicle history report on the car and it did not seem to have too many issues.
    1. May have been used as a rental/lease ( That's what it says! )
    2. Possible odometer rollback ( a 80 mi. discrepancy)
    3. Needs smog cert
    4. And there is a lien/loan on it
    GGG

Z8 Novice

Vehicle report for $40k Z8

I saved it as a pdf file:

It is a very early car, so since it has had five owners already, and been a fleet car, it is quite likely to have been treated pretty harshly. As a very early car it could have the dreaded VANOS issue as well as many of the other associated problems of being used, abused and unloved. Though it could look tempting a car with the VANOS problem will be give you about a $20K repair bill right off the bat, I bet the soft-top will be thrashed, another $5-6K, and if the shock towers are domed that is a $55K repair bill, so be aware of the possible hidden costs of what looks like a bargain car.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I would be very careful. With zero feedback it sounds like a scam to me

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggg1 View Post
    I just checked out the vehicle history report on the car and it did not seem to have too many issues.
    1. May have been used as a rental/lease ( That's what it says! )
    2. Possible odometer rollback ( a 80 mi. discrepancy)
    3. Needs smog cert
    4. And there is a lien/loan on it
    GGG
    Be careful not to rely on CARFAX etc. too much. Once I purchased a 911 with a clean "accident free" history. When selling the car a few years later, I pulled the CARFAX again for potential buyers and an accident dated 2 years before I bought the car showed on the report.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ggg1 View Post
    I'm not sure if its a scam or not, but he does say in the ad that he wants $40,000 for it minimum. It is an odd color combo, but if it is for real I would buy it just to have another one! Occasionally on Ebay there are too good to be true ads, they generally end up being some kind of scam. But I am going to check into it.
    GGG
    As they say: "buy the best you can afford"
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8 Novice

40k Z8 on ebay

The guy never would email me back, and he lived (supposedly) nearby, so it was obviously a scam, I already have a 2001 Silver/Red Z8 but for $40k I would have bought a spare. I am including some recent pictures of my car, I don't think I posted any before, check out the brakes, I added the Z8 logo ( Z8 in the same font as used in between the seats) I've done just about everything to the car except for the Dinan engine stuff, I will never sell it ever, maybe I will be buried it in it! No that's a waste, anyway here they are.

EBay removed that listing, so I guess it was a scam! Your car looks awesome, 20" rims really do suit the look of it IMHO.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks Macfly! I have a friend who makes carbon fiber parts for BMW and Porsche, and he has his own wheels made as well, he is almost finished making new wheels for my Ferrari 575M, and I am going to have him make some one offs for my Z8 as well. As nice as these look they are actually not a really good wheel, they are those Beyern mesh series, and they are a one piece cast, but I like the style. My new ones will look about the same, but will be a 3 piece with hidden hardware and a chrome lip, plus they will have a new ceramic clearcoat on them which will make them hard to scratch, and will be lighter than these.
    Thanks, G