Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Guess what? Z8's are getting really expensive to buy!

  1. #1
    Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,113

    Guess what? Z8's are getting really expensive to buy!

    In my search for a car for a friend of mine, every good, low mileage car I have found on either eBay or other sources are all sold by the time I call. I have been asking what they have been selling for. The lowest price was a 7,000 mile car that was in Phoenix which sold quickly for $110,000. It was a 2001 model. Another low mileage 01 sold quickly for $115,000. I think that as these cars continue to leave the U.S. for Europe and other final destinations, the cars here are going to continue to go up in value. I did not buy my car with resale value in mind because I love the car, but I must say that it is nice to know that these cars are starting to really be appreciated for the fine pieces of machinery and rolling sculpture that they are. All this after being out of production for only five years. Not bad!

  2. #2
    I'm really amazed too, I rather wish I'd bough another one now!
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    In my search for a car for a friend of mine, every good, low mileage car I have found on either eBay or other sources are all sold by the time I call. I have been asking what they have been selling for. The lowest price was a 7,000 mile car that was in Phoenix which sold quickly for $110,000. It was a 2001 model. Another low mileage 01 sold quickly for $115,000. I think that as these cars continue to leave the U.S. for Europe and other final destinations, the cars here are going to continue to go up in value. I did not buy my car with resale value in mind because I love the car, but I must say that it is nice to know that these cars are starting to really be appreciated for the fine pieces of machinery and rolling sculpture that they are. All this after being out of production for only five years. Not bad!
    hi, Here in Switzerland the prices are also rising a bit . If you have a look at www.autoscout.ch you,ll see the prices which are higher as in the states....okay us-dollar loosing ground against swiss franc..its almost 1:1 now ... T.G.I.F. roland

  4. #4
    Team Z8 KenZ8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    459
    Make sure that your declared value insurance policy is keeping pace with these increases in value! What may have been a fair market price for the vehicle last year may be short next year.

  5. #5
    Z8 Madness
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    892
    Sadly, the price gap between cars with less than 10K miles and those above is widening. As a result, we'll see less and less of these beauties driven.
    62050 - Z8

  6. #6
    Team Z8 KenZ8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    459
    Even more sadly, those who will be paying more and not driving these cars will miss out on the real fun of ownership. I'm all for investing and having possessions that increase in value, but in my mind, cars are meant to be driven and enjoyed. You can enjoy a painting or other collectable art without touching, but a Z8, Ferrari, and the like must be driven to appreciate the depth of its artistic form.
    Which way does the odometer go if we drive backwards??

  7. #7
    Z8Mania
    Guest
    Ask Ferris Bueller!

  8. #8
    Z8 Madness
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    Even more sadly, those who will be paying more and not driving these cars will miss out on the real fun of ownership.
    Very true!
    62050 - Z8

  9. #9
    Z8Mania
    Guest
    Cars are of course meant to be admired but they are also meant to be driven! I will stand by this statement or my name is not Abe Froman!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by KenZ8 View Post
    Make sure that your declared value insurance policy is keeping pace with these increases in value! What may have been a fair market price for the vehicle last year may be short next year.
    it doesn't matter to me because i like this beauty, as you said drive the car and enjoy intstead to letting the car sit in the garage without driving it....

  11. #11
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    7
    I have a perfect 2002, silver/black with 10,100 miles. The dilemna as to whether to drive it or look at it is always there....it is such a pity not to enjoy it. If I can't decide to enjoy it....summer is coming, then I am going to sell. I have about a month before good weather is here to decide.

  12. #12
    Z8 Madness
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    892
    Interesting dilemma. With the current economic uncertainties, I would say that now might be a good time to sell rather than waiting. Things can get very ugly by this summer

    But, long term, I think these cars will hold their values, even the ones with 2-3K/year milage.
    62050 - Z8

  13. #13
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5
    Life is short...Drive it like you stole it!

  14. #14
    DSC Off Gammaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    85
    Hey redz8,

    Be sure not to leave your wind blocker on for extended periods of time: after I had done so there was some superficial corrosion underneath on the chromed roll hoops. I was able to get it off with a metal polish, but now I don't use it unless really needed.

  15. #15
    Z8 Madness
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    892
    Gammaman, thanks for the tip. I just removed it. Luckily there's no damage. Cheers!
    62050 - Z8

  16. #16
    Back to the original title of the thread, and yes, I'd say Z8's are getting really expensive to buy - anyone recognize this 01 car at $125,000k?
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  17. #17
    Z8 Ate My Homework! Norcal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    2,471
    *** 99% of our listings SELL to parties over the phone prior to the end of each SALE *** Huh??

  18. #18
    DSC Off Gammaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    85
    anyone recognize this 01 car at $125,000k?
    Looks like a garage queen, but I give up macfly. Will be interesting to see what the '03 Alpina presently on ebay for no reserve ends up going for.

  19. #19
    but I give up macfly
    A clue - look at the avatar of the first post in this thread!
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  20. #20
    Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    Hey, that's my old car. Good on him if he can make that kind of profit. I let it go a bit cheap but I hate selling used cars to the public and I am in the business! When I bought my Stratus/Red 02 last week, it was worth it to me to leave some money on the table and "broom it" out of the garage.

  21. #21
    Sport Button On - DSC Off gutMD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    175
    '03 Black Alpina on eBay is already gone. Probably sold after a few short days. Love to know what it went for.
    Hayvenhurstkid, you are still way ahead of the game with that rare beauty in your garage. I for one would love to see more pics. ENJOY !!!
    ---------------------------------
    Regards,
    Gary
    2002 Topaz // Crema

  22. #22
    Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,113
    More pics to follow next week now that everything is dialed in on my Stratus car. I just got a new digital camera that I am going to use Saturday and get some hopefully great shots of the car, which I will post and also change my avatar.