Thread: Carbon-ceramic rotors for Z8?

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Carbon-ceramic rotors for Z8?

Stop Tech is developing carbon-ceramic rotors for their big brake kits and they will be available in sizes to fit the Z8. I am working with Dave Zeckhausen to put together a complete package for my car which will include an upgrade to Stop Tech's latest 6-piston calipers up front and carbon-ceramic rotors all around. The weight savings will be substantial: 332mm stock rotors weigh 19 lbs., 355mm Stop Tech iron rotors weigh 17 lbs., and 355mm Stop Tech carbon-ceramic rotors weigh 9.5 lbs.! Not only will this provide a substantial reduction in unsprung weight but also a significant reduction in rotating mass. Stop Tech's carbon-ceramic rotors are supposed to be stronger than the ones supplied by Porsche because they are made from a single filament of carbon fiber instead of chopped carbon fibers as used in the Porsche rotors. For street use, they expect 150,000 miles of useful life from them! These rotors first appeared on the 700 HP Callaway C16 Speedster and Dave Zeckhausen has been testing an M3 equipped with them for some time now. He reports that once they are properly bedded in, brake bite is immediate and consistent, even when cold. They also provide a higher coefficient of friction which means they will stop a car faster than iron rotors and they shed heat so fast that build-up is no longer an issue. He also reports that there is virtually no brake dust when using them.

Now for the bad news: You must use carbon-ceramic rotors at all four corners of the car because that enhanced coefficient of friction makes them incompatible with iron rotors. So, since Stop Tech will currently only supply its Z8 big brake kit for the front end (due to bearing issues in the rear), that makes these new rotors impossible to install on a Z8. The reason I will be able to use them is because I have one of the only four corner Stop Tech brake kits ever made for the Z8 and no issues with my rear bearings. However, instead of just gloating about my good fortune, I am working with Dave to try to convince Stop Tech to release the full kit once again for the Z8. The one drawback will be the price: $10k for the 4 rotors and hats and another $5k for the calipers! This is in line with what Porsche charges for their carbon-ceramic upgrade so I guess it's just the price we have to pay for this amazing technology. I will keep everyone up to date on our progress.

Z8Mania
    Please keep us updated- you never know- there could be a maniac or two out here who might consider such an upgrade. The reduction in unsprung mass is- well- massive. This plus the much less brake dust are winning propositions.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Would be interesting to know of also Brembo would manifacture ceramic rotors that would fit their "big GT brake set". The weight saving would be incredible there as well.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Actually, the pricing on the Stop Tech carbon-ceramic kit is a relative bargain compared with what Porsche charges. Stop Tech's $15k kit includes rotors, hats, mounting brackets, calipers, pads, and steel brake lines while the Porsche price is just for the rotors and pads.