Thread: Pics from Angeles Crest Highway this morning

Pics from Angeles Crest Highway this morning

Here's a few pics from my drive on Angeles Crest Highway this morning. Driving conditions were less than ideal. It was very very windy. I think the gusts were 50+ mph. There were lots of rocks on the road, and I got blasted by dirt a couple times. I eventually had to put the top up. Normally I would choose not to drive in these conditions, but I just wanted to get some seat time in the twisties with my 'new' car.

2002 Silver/Black

Very nice! I used to go up there for breakfast almost every Sunday in my two wheeling days, but the only time I seem to get up there any more is if I'm taking that route to Willow Springs in the Lotus. It seems we do far more drives in the Santa Monica range these days, but it is much slower and more heavily policed, so you got to be doing legal speeds.

Maybe we should do a run up there during the June Glooms, it is always so nice to escape the early summer marine layer and see some blue sky!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Very nice pictures. If I may offer some critique- though Andrew is the expert here-

Picture 1- put the car to the left side of the frame- it looks like its going to pounce into the space left on the right side. Also, you cut off the shadow which would be rectified by locating the car towards the left. Suggest you break the image into 1/3s and use the first 1/3 for where to center the car.

Picture 2- great picture- but the shadow is again slightly clipped. Also the camera metered for the bright sky. You can probably increase the brightness of the car in photoshop, but a nice cheat Ive found is if you have a good camera with a flash that you can diffuse a little bit is use the flash- the camera will meter for the sky, and the object gets a little washed out, which is then resolved by the flash- the result is pretty cool looking/ pro looking.

Picture 3- I like this one too, but I suggest getting down lower to take the picture.

Just some thoughts from this amateur- I like to do car pics when I can- the kids run around too quickly to get too artistic with them!

Wow, you guys are really pros. Thanks for the tips. I thought I was doing a good job by not using my iPhone I am far from a photographer. I just wanted to share a couple snap shots from my first drive. I took photo #2 first. I wanted to take a shot of the car with a view of the mountains in the background. When I took it, a realized it was in it's own shadow and probably wouldn't show up very well, so I took a couple more shots. You can't tell from the photos, but the wind was howling and the temperature was in the 30s. I was in shorts and took these photos in about 60 seconds, so there wasn't much art direction.

Thanks for the tips. I've done the flash tip when taking pictures of people, but I hesitate using the trick on cars because of the relectors. Good tip on the shadows as well, I'll pay more attention to that in the future.
    2002 Silver/Black

Z8Mania
    Those photos are not from your iphone?! If they are I will have to send mine back as I am satisfied with its tiny camera quality but its really nothing even remotely close to what you have there!

I am merely a hack, Andrew is the real photographer. Youre right about the reflectors with a fill flash, so the angle you set it to is critical. What I do is take pictures both ways and then I keep the results I like best. Its not like youre wasting film, its just digital storage capacity, which you probably have a ton.