Thread: UUC clutch sale

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

UUC clutch sale

UUC has a sale until Feb 16. 50% off the z8 clutch and other products.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/V8/index.htm

That is a great deal for a great product.

Dave P

I am afraid that I have to disagree. I bought the light flywheel and clutch some time ago, and I had to remove it again. The problem is the starter ring.

As you can see here, first the starter ring started moving in direction of the crankshaft, because the screws didn't hold it tight enough. We then produced precise washers to keep it in place. Thereafter, the starter ring began to work on these screws and washers in radial direction, until the starter ring could be rotated quite a bit without the flywheel turning.

This led to ongoing faulty rev signals to the engine control unit, which in turn led to the famous yellow light and numerous emergency runs. We replaced almost everything on the engine because we expected VANOS problems, before finally we found out that this flywheel was the source of all evil.

The other thing that we found out is that they recommend the slave cylinder of the 850 csi to help you with the stiffer clutch pedal. Unfortunately, we had to find out, that the distance that the rod of this cylinder can physically travel is by far not enough to disengage the clutch completely. That explained the frequent noises and problems when shifting into third gear. I was about to have the gearbox overhauled, but after going back to stock flywheel and clutch cylinder all problems disappeared completely.

Unfortunately, UUC refuses to take emails these days, and phone calls are not easy with them from Germany. This reminds me that I always wanted to take more pictures of the now fully broken flywheel and ask them how they think about an investment of several thousands of Dollars plus customs and taxes for a very short joy. I know that one other Z8 driver, who is now active on this board as well, had similar problems with that flywheel.
    Best regards, Dieter

This also echoes the problems of another owner I know over here who tried one of these units on his modified car. I think that if you really want to upgrade your clutch & fly wheel I'd look to this Dinan unit first.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks both !!! - I will go with the Dinan unit

Dave P

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    This also echoes the problems of another owner I know over here who tried one of these units on his modified car. I think that if you really want to upgrade your clutch & fly wheel I'd look to this Dinan unit first.
    Looks great, and to be complete, Nowack has a similar flywheel derived from the dual-mass oem flywheel.
    That also avoids the rattling noises of a one-mass flywheel like the UUC one.
    Best regards, Dieter

Well, my order had already shipped before I could cancel it. I did talk to Rob, who designed this clutch. He conceded that there had been problems with earlier design but that they are now using an entirely different method of manufacture and will stand behind the product.

Since the labour is free for me I will proceed and post with follow up results.

Dave P

DSC Off

Follow up

So,
    How has the UCC flywheel worked?
    Craig

Its been flawless. Dave

DSC Off

Ucc

Dave,
    That is great. Did you also change the clutch at the same time? and did you use their clutch? Did you buy the flywheel/clutch package?
    And, I am not sure what the CDV is but I read that you should remove this if you upgrade the flywheel. Did you do this also?
    Craig.

Hey Craig. I bought the package. I have had no problems at all. You will need a special tool to remove the clutch if you are doing the job yourself.

The clutch delay valve makes shift changes slow It is easy to remove. I got a revised valve from Dave Zeckhausen. He is a great guy and highly knowledgable His company also makes dustless brake pads and I use those on all the BMW's I have owned

I also changed out the differential for a limited slip with higher gearing. The car performs and handles so much better. I'd be happy to provide any information you need.

Did you just buy your car? This car is a real delight. It will treat you well

Dave P
    Las Vegas

Is anyone else excited that Dogsbreath has come up for air?

Loved the photo of you in Roundel a while back with your finance and the Z8.
    thegunguy

Yes, nice to see you back Doc!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thanks guys)). I have enough work for two, I have a great lady in my life and I am building my second classic mini and a TR2. Oh yeah, and another car for Targa Newfoundland. If only we didn't need to sleep....

We did get the z8 down to Palos Verdes for a work trip. Lovely. Remember to call if you are in Vegas

DaveP

Awesome update! PLEASE stop by more often! It's not just a car, it's a community.
    thegunguy

DSC Off

clutch/flywheel/cdv update

Thanks. see my more detailed response that I just posted in the upgrade section on the same topic and let me know your thoughts.
    much appreciated.
    Craig.

Z8Mania
    Great to see you posting