Thread: OT: M5 Crash That Killed 5

Z8 Madness

OT: M5 Crash That Killed 5

Details: http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/f...storyid=100977.

I just wanted to ask you all to be careful handing the key of your high performance cars to someone else. The above story is very tragic. I also feel bad for the M5 Forum -- I think they'll be in the spotlight for a while and possibly change a few posting rules.

Be safe!
    62050 - Z8

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I read the full story of this accident in several different on line articles. Here is an 18 year old kid, son of very wealthy parents, asking how to get a 500 horse power car to accelerate quicker! The warning signs were there. He stated that the car shifted funny at 140 miles per hour. Where were his parents? Talk about giving a kid a loaded gun with a hair trigger. What a tragedy that five young men had to die when this was so easily preventable. Maybe I am being judgemental, but I doubt there are many eighteeen year olds responsible enough or experienced enough to be given the keyes to a new M5. Parents need to be more involved in their children's lives and know where they are at three in the morning. Certainly not out doing speed runs on a runway at 180 miles per hour.

I agree with you completely, an 18 year old on a private 'fly in estate' is tearing up and down the runway like it's his own private drag strip, and no one notices? He'd obviously been doing this for weeks if he'd had time to go asking questions about it online. Witch-hunting Gustav's website is simply ridiculous, but I guess everyone wants to shift responsibility, most of all the parents, who IMHO are 100% responsible for allowing this to happen! It is certainly a tragic event, but it is disgraceful that this was allowed to happen.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

i agree with the parenting issue.

not only did the 18-year old have the keys of a 500hp car, but this happened after a party around 4 a.m.

the eerie part is how the M5 forum member prophetically warned him of possible consequences when he admitted he was a novice stick shift driver & having shifting problems around 140mph(!) and talking about disabling stability control, etc.

they also urged him to stay safe & be responsible - and he agreed to not endanger anyone - but killed himself & his friends hours later

Z8 Madness
    I agree with everything mentioned above. The specifics of this accident are indeed very eerie/extreme. Another issue is the total lack of Driver's Education in US. I am amazed that so many don't know how to drive a car with manual transmission or understand the dynamics of driving in bad weather. Europe does a much better job in this regard, as a result, I think they are far more sophisticated drivers. There is also the proliferation of big-heavy-SUVs or super-high-performance cars (z06, M5s, M6s, ...), all of which, in my opinion, require one to get additional safety/driving training.

I guess if you take irresponsible parents and add some wealth in the mix, you'll end up with M5s taking off at airports all over the nation.
    62050 - Z8

It is a good thing that the average age here at this forum is not 19 (......) I have not (yet...) met an irresponsible Z8 driver.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    As a Z8 owner, as well as a 2005 Mercedes E55 and a Roush supercharged F150 truck, I like fast cars. Speed is definately intoxicating. However, there is a time and a place to SAFELY put a fast car through its paces. I also am very aware of my limits and never go beyond them. That said, anything can still happen no matter how safe you try and be. Point is, my father gave me a very long speech about driving the day I received my license. He drove home the point that driving is a priviledge, not a right, and driving safely was absolutely expected of me. Had I received many moving violations, as had the driver of this M5 had, he would have taken away my car immediately. As a teenager, I refused to even get in a car with anyone I considered a reckless driver. Sad as it is to say, the other four passengers in this car are at least partially responsible for what happened. If I had been a passenger in that car, I would have insisted on being let out of the car before the driver started his speed runs. Unfortunately, most teenagers consider themselves immortal and this clearly shows quite the opposite is true. By the way, 150 plus miles per hour is never safe, in my opinion, unless you are a driver with professional skills on a closed course.

Z8Mania
    another factor to list is this occurred at night. You lose a lot of straight ahead vision at night. this whole thing is a tragedy. I think we naturally want to find someone to blame but the fact of the matter is the kid did something very stupid and while I do agree there is blame on the parents shoulders- shouldn't there be blame to the airfield for being so open - and finally how about the driver of the car.