Thread: Techy web stuff

Techy web stuff

We have thrice changed the way we track traffic, which means at this point I have no longer have any idea if we have more or less traffic than a year ago, but the good news is we have just started using Google Analytics, which has an amazing way of tracking everything - very cool from a tech point of view!

For those who are interested in these things here are our first few day's results from the all seeing Google! (Jan 21-25)

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    go Macintosh!!!

Sadly, I think the Mac ratio is only slightly above average. 13% vs about 10% average. No?
    Last edited by Norcal; January 29th 2008 at 03:50.

We're almost at 15% now - I'm really impressed with all the info this system gives, it is almost a little too much, but I guess it is the industry standard.

Andrew Macpherson

The more I look at this the more Orwellian it becomes.....

There are so many layers of information on every single visit that I'm actually finding it rather spooky. I'm not entirely comfortable with this level of 'seeing'.

This is one of over fifty pages accessible on Google Analytics - a free service, telling me who you are, where you are, and what your viewing habits are. I'm sharing this because it gives you an idea of just how much is known about everything we do online. I don't mean to freak anyone out here, but I think its good for everyone to realize that everything you do online is known, so be careful out there!

Andrew Macpherson

It is spooky, but I need to get this for my site!

This almost CIA level of snoopability is yours for free!

Just create a Google account, go here to get the appropraite code blocks, and have your tech team weave it into your sites code.
    Andrew Macpherson

you have a blank continent. that won't do.

i should visit your site next time i'm in Cape Town

can't help you with Greenland though ;-)

Andrew,

do you also capture screen resolution? if so, do you mind posting it?

i'm thinking of creating a little website (not BMW related) & would like to get some idea how large a display window i should plan for and how large a percentage audience i can ignore at the lower resolutions.

hopefully a sufficently large browsing population are already on 1600x1200 or larger? or maybe not, seeing how many site's images look like postage stamps on my 1920x1200 monitor (even smaller on your 31" system?).

i realize you probably attract an non-representative/ upscale audience, but would still be interesting statistics.

Here you go.....

FWIW our site is a mite too big for my iPhone, a bit small for my 17" MacBook Pro, and tiny on my big screen, but as you can see it should be about perfect for the majority of users.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    crazy stuff Andrew!

I especially like the graph showing what kind of pretzels viewers like to munch while sitting by their 1024x768 screens. I didn't think that "they" were watching that closely

Z8Mania
    hehehe- they havent figured out Im enjoying my Starbucks...

btw- as a side note to the whole cupholder thing- the Europeans dont understand our desire for cupholders- maybe we are not drinking while driving but rather transporting the drink.... never the less they put in ash trays- is smoking while driving any safer or more desirable?

Does it tell you if they mouse with their left hand? Or surf in the nude? (I hope not)

Or surf in the nude? (I hope not)
    You know that little iSight camera you think is turned off - well think again!
    Andrew Macpherson

One last one!

It seems that our traffic is holding pretty steady, so I'll guess this is our ongoing weekly average, but here is another analytic that is fun to see from the state with the most visits, California!

BTW, who is in West Hollywood? The system has been set so it doesn't count the hits from my machines here, so is there another owner in West Hollywood?

Andrew Macpherson

Wow you have some fans in Calgary!

Those are some impressive #s and the reach across the globe is phenomenal!

I for one would not be offended if you had some sponsors on the site to help defray the years of expenditures and all the time you have devoted to benefit the rest of us. Those demographics should impress many. IMHO the factory would be smart to make your site the "official" Z8 site.

Every other enthusiast site I visit (boat/car/whatever) has sponsorship
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I know this sounds oddly old fashioned, but I really like keeping the site uncommercial. It takes very little time and money to run it, and what it does cost is rolled into my business's web expenses as a tax deduction.

I started it as a place to put all the info my atrocious memory couldn't hold, and also somewhere to share the pictures I love taking of our beautiful car, but it has given back in ways I never imagined when I started it - infact it has been the best 'return on investment' I've ever got from anything! I've traveled far and wide meeting many wonderful like minded enthusiasts who've become good friends, and shared extraordinary adventures and drives with them because of it.

Also I think the only reason that BMW have discretely allowed our site to remain up and running using both their name and logo is because we are totally non-commercial. They've closed down, or forced name changes on several other sites and clubs along the way, and the only thing that separates us from all of them (apart from our cars!) is that I've kept this site purely as a free resource for all our owners.

What you don't see is how many folks I don't let onto the site - I get a dozen or more request log-ins from folks without proper VIN's, and when I send them my standard 'why do you want to join, we don't stand for trolls' response they just melt away. All those who take the time to write back have ended up buying cars, and being a great part of the community.
    Andrew Macpherson

Well, just wanted to say thanks. Obviously I had not thought of all that. We are lucky to have this resource!
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Z8Mania
    Andrew- thank you. I agree with you on commercial thing.

Sport Button On
    Yes Andrew, your efforts are always appreciated and few of us really know what a labor of love it has been for you. Thanks!

Thanks guys!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson