Thread: Engine Check Light and Clutch Slip Problem

Sport Button On

Engine Check Light and Clutch Slip Problem

I am new here, but perhaps someone can help me resolve an engine or engine control problem that has baffled my dealer service department. In fact, I have had a few outstanding problems with the car that I will list here:

a. The car has an intermittent "check engine light" problem that usually comes on when I accelerate on the highway. Sometimes the car runs rough for about 15 minutes, then clears up. The dealer says they can pick up a "cylinder misfire 1, 3, 5" code (I think these are right) but cannot seem to get to the bottom of it since it only occurs once in a few days. They first told me to make sure my gas cap was tight, then replaced the O2 sensor but this problem still occurs. Sounds like a engine management computer or sensor failure but then again, they can't find it....it's been in the shop 4 X now for this problem and this time for a week....

b. My clutch started slipping and they replaced it last week. The car only has 19K miles, but there it is. I know how to drive a clutch car without issue (I used to race SCCA and had my Ferrari on many a open-track weekend), so is this clutch misadjusted or ?? Has anybody heard about anyhing similar?

Hopefully one or more of you can help me understand this. I still love my Z8, but maybe I have the only lemon Z8 on the planet.

Sport Button On

Post Dinan input on my engine light/clutch slip issues

FYI, I talked to a key technical person at Dinan this AM and got a few good tips that may be interesting about this engine light/clutch issue. It seems that for M5s, this is not unheard of....

The first is that cylinder misfire codes has been seen on M5s and because of the identical engine, on Z8s he thinks. It may be a coil problem but in any event, the code usually clears when the car ignition is turned off unless it is a "hard code". This is exactly what I saw: the car engine light comes on, the car runs rough, but after I turn the ignition off, the car seem to reset and then operate normally. Specifically, it is important to know if the problem stored on the engine computer is a "softcode" or a more persistent and troubling "hardcode". Any further explanation on the difference would be welcome.

He has also seen early clutch failures on M5s as well. Here, the adjustment may be the culprit, but he knows of cases where the rear main engine oil seal leaked and wet the clutch, causing this failure. I will know what the problem was in my car and report it but in any event, thought that I would pass this info along.

Arrow S62 motor problems

Indeed I have read much on www.bmwm5.com about the clutch failures, and check engine light problems, so I am familiar with them, but as yet I haven't had either.

I would suggest having a look around over there, and see if you can do a search on both of them.

I am sorry that you've had such bad luck with your car, I know it can spoil the ownership experience, and sadly BMW aren't as on the ball, or open about these issues as they should be.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On

Lightbulb Used the BMWM5 site and got good guidance

Thanks for the info and you are right: the www.bmwm5.com site is really chock full of useful M5 engine and transmission data. I got my SES light and clutch problem now framed correctly compared to other users.

FYI on this problem, here is what I posted:

====================================
    I have a '02 Z8 with 19K miles, and it seems I am proof that Beasts do not have the SES/misfire market completely cornered....

My story seems repeated a few times with M5 engine operators, but here goes:

A few months ago, the much dreaded SES light comes on without a further loss of power , so I call the Stevens Creek BMW dealer and get the car in for a look-see. I get the "gas cap" routine and get sent on my way. Guess what? the SES light comes back on a few days later....so.....the car goes back and now they scan the OBD-II and find an O2 sensor problem, something about the voltages being out of range. They order me another sensor and over Xmas, replace it. Now the car has more power MEANING I WAS DRIVING FOR 15K MILES ON MAYBE 70% POWER. What a rip! I am ambivalent about this: of course I am happy that the car performs better, but it also means I had never had a properly functioning Z8....BTW, how can one tell that they have a 100% functioning engine? Not trivial since the car has so much power.

Recently, the SES light came on on two separate occasions and AGAIN I take it in. This time, the SES event was followed by a severe loss of power, engine running rough which cleared when I turned it off for a few minutes. I also mention to the dealer that the clutch seems to slip a bit, get a 525 loaner and for the last 2 weeks, they replaced the clutch (free-of-charge with no hassles, bless their souls) and tell me that the SES light was caused by these codes:

a. P1341: Multiple cylinder misfire with engine cutoff
    b. P1355: Misfire cylinder 7 with fuel cutoff
    b. P1353: Misfire cylinder 6 with fuel cutoff
    b. P1343: Misfire cylinder 1 with fuel cutoff

These codes are "softcodes" and seem rather harmless?

The solution here? They decided to switch coils 7<=>8, 5 <=> 6, and 1<=> 2 and I will pick it up tomorrow and I guess "if it happens again, we can see if the problem follows the coil switch". My belief is this is a goose chase since it seems highly improbable that I would experience three coil failures instead of having a common cause such as bad gas, etc.

After reading a lot of similar postings on this site, I decided to (i) buy an Autoxray EZ-link OBD-II scanner so I can get the codes myself, (ii) be much more careful about where I get my gas, and (iii) bleed a chicken around my Z8 at least once a week to keep the SES gremlins out of there...

One conclusion I have come to is that it seems I had multiple SES failure mechanisms. The first was an O2 sensor (loss of power and SES light, but no rough engine period) while the more recent failures seem related to gas? I also heard that a DME computer software upgrade can resolve some SES issues. Would it/could it resolve SES failures of the "Misfire cylinder X with fuel cutoff" type?

Thumbs up Great news, happy you found everything....

and thanks so much for posting your research here, it's what will make this board a useful resource for us all!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.