Thread: Los Angeles dealer recommendation for PP install

Los Angeles dealer recommendation for PP install

I'm am buying a Z8 without the performance package. I would like to have the performance package installed. I was hoping some of you guys in the LA area could share your experiences with me. I think I read a thread about problems at Crevier.

New Century BMW is close to me. I have taken my daily driver there for service and I was very pleased with the service. Before I ask them to do my PP install, I'd like to know if anyone had theirs done at New Century. I'm sure if I call the service manager at New Century, I'll get the standard "Of course we can do that, we've done a few of those" response.

I'm not picking up the car for a few weeks, but I'm trying to plan ahead in case it takes a while to get the parts in. I don't think I want to drive the car much until I have the pp installed. I hit a monster pothole last night on the 110 going about 70 mph in my daily driver. It was dark and I couldn't see it. This would have been very worrysome to me had I been in the Z8 w/o the pp.

TIA for all responses,

Tim

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Hey Tim,
    I can highly reccommend Century West BMW in Universal City. They did my car and a friend of mines car. The mechanic, Clement, has done around one dozen so far. The service advisor is Jose Virgen. His number is 818 432 5825. Mention my name and he will be very accomadating. They can do the job in one day. One suggestion. If your headlights have any of the fogging problems in the inside, try and get BMW to goodwill them while they are out for the PP install. That way you will save the labor rate to have them removed again. Good luck with the new car. Marty

Hey Marty, I did notice some slight fogging of the headlights. Not too bad though. I'm not sure if it is nitpicking on my part, as I am very particular about these things. How exactly would I go about this. Do I do it through the dealer, or do I need to call BMW NA?

I think your best bet is to contact Bill Stuart at BMW NA at 201 263 8210. He is a good friend to us as Z8 owners. Tell him you just bought a car and that the headlights are foggy. Also, I think your car may still be under warranty? If so, it is a no brainer to have them replaced. If not, it must be O.K.'ed by BMW. In my case, I called Bill. He got BMW to pay for the parts and I had to pay $330 labor to have them installed after I had already had the PP installed. I wish I would have done it earlier to save the labor. Also, check the fit of the headlight units and bring it to the attention of whatever dealer you have do the PP. In both cases, with my car, they did not fit like when they came out of the car originally. This is a difficult thing to get just right, but when they are wrong, it sticks out like a sore thumb. There is a plate under the mounting bracket for the units that lets them be adjusted in any way necessary. Most mechanics don't know this. They will tell you one way out, same way back in. Not true! Also, check the top of your dash for any leather delamination. I also got this goodwilled and just paid the labor. Remember to replace the run flats, if that is what is on your car, with Michelin Pilot Sport 2's BEFORE you do the PP since they will perform a four wheel alignment after the PP is installed and you want the right tires on the car beforehand. Then go buy yourself the Contisport tire repair kit in case you get a flat in the middle of nowhere.
    P.S. Headlights fit perfectly now after many hours of fiddling to get them just right.

Yes, the car will come with a transferable warranty. I didn't see any delamination on the dash when I inspected the car, but I'll look again once I get it. The car no longer has the runflats. It has RE 050's that are like new. I have a Contisport repair kit already when I swapped out my runflats on my 330. I may buy another one, or maybe I'll just buy some of the tire goo since I have 3 other air compressors and there is a shelf life to the goo that comes in the Contisport.

I shot Bill an e-mail a few days ago asking if my car has been inspected by a FSE. I have not heard back form him yet. Is he still the correct contact at BMW NA? I don't think I'll call him until I have possesion of the car, just in case the deal goes bad for some reason, I don't want to cry wolf.

He is absolutely the one to contact at BMW NA. He gets things done!

However he is on an extended holiday till mid April, (lucky chap!) and our temporary contact is Jason Eidleman 201 263 8229.

BTW, Marty, I need to get some of the TWS 10-60 put into my motor, do they stock it at Century West?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    Also- welcome to the club!!! What colors are you getting?

Thanks for the info Andrew. That's some vacation.

Jerry, getting silver on black. Pics on the for sale forum.

I just called Century West BMW. They quoted me $2326 for the labor, and $599 for the parts. The parts price seems resonable, but the labor seems high by a factor of 2-3x, based on the FAQ thread in the frame forum.

Is this reasonable?

That cost seems a little high...

Have a look at this post for the clearest answer on what it should cost.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wow. It might be worth it to drive to the bay area for a weekend.

Century West said they could do it in one day. I can drop off in the morning, and pick up in the afternoon. One guy will work on it all day. So if he works 8 hours on it, why do they charge me 16.5 hours for it??? When I asked this question, Jose went into his sales pitch that they are very capable, and have done many of these installs, and that it is a one time shot to get it right, but for some reason, he could not answer my simple math question. If two guys worked on it all day, I guess that would be the answer, but this looks like a one man job.

Clement is the guy who does the installs. Your point is very correct. Clement does an amazing job, but eight hours of work should not be charged for sixteen and a half hours. When they did my car, the complete price was around $1,750, parts included. Jose told me they didn't charge me enough and they did charge more for my buddy's car, but tell Jose I said he needs to lighten up on the price. Peter Pan does do amazing work, but I just wouldn't want to put close to 1,000 miles on my car to get it done. It could be shipped both ways, but that adds another $1,000 to the cost. So, in my opinion, I would go back to Jose and I bet they will give you a better deal on the labor. Also, they will discount the parts 10%.

Depending on the weather, it could be 1,000 mi well spent up & down rt 1.

I love SF. I don't get up there enough. Could be a nice weekend away, if I could find a free one.

Let me know if you are coming up.

Will do. Do you work in SF? A friend of mine says she drools over a black Z8 that parks in her garage at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Let me know if you are coming up.

Not me. I've never had my car in SF, that I can recall.