Thread: No longer thinking of selling my Alpina!

No longer thinking of selling my Alpina!

I am contemplating trading in my Alpina (silver w/ black interior) and purchasing an DB9. The Alpina has only 8,500 miles on it and is in perfect condition. There has been very little that I can find on where these have been trading other then the post in November that had one trade on ebay for $111,000 and it had 36,000 miles. Does anyone have any color on more recent trades? I realize that the DB9 in all likelihood will not hold its value like the Z8 has and at the end of the day I may just keep the Alpina and I really like the car.

Once you leave the safe haven of the Z8/Alpina you'll be back in the Kelly Blue Book world of cars that follow the 50% in four years rule. However, you only live once, and you can't take it with you, so you gotta do what makes your smile the broadest.

For a mint Alpina with such low miles, if it has all its bits and books, should be good for around $130K, and I wouldn't accept a cent under $120.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

You are right about the safe haven. Not only has the car held its value better then just about every other car out there, but the fact that it is a BMW and can be serviced locally with parts available for a very very long time is comforting. I purchased the car based upon the above and cannot say exactly why I am thinking about the trade other then the DB9 Coupe has caught my eye the way the Alpina did a few years ago. If it offered the same BMW parts/service features I would be definitely pulling the trigger, right now I am just conisdering it. If I do go for the swap it would probably be for a low milage 2 year old car since the depreciation during that time period is extremely large. I do have all of the original equipment and have had the PP installed by BMW

Andrew,

I almost left out one of the most important reasons I purchased the Alpina. This fantastic web site! I believe that besides the car being such a pleasure to drive and look at, a driving force in maintaining the value has been the interest that this site generates among existing owners and potential buyers. Thank you for you all the time and effort you continue to dedicate to maintaining this site.

Thanks so much!! The Z8 Club in Europe has also done a huge amount to underwrite the cars value and integrity too. The car is so popular in Europe that folks there are paying huge money for high mileage cars, and the events and the back up offered by the Club will insure that the Z8 remians the most beloved BMW in it's home land, which is a very important part of making sure BMW keep us supplied with the bits we need going forward.

On the thorny subject of depreciation, I bought my daily driver SL500 when it was three years old and it had just 23,000 miles on the clock. I paid exactly 50% of the original sticker, but in the last two years it has dropped another 50%, in five years it has lost 75% of it's 'value'!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I would also chime in here- out of the major auto makers- no one will do a car like the Z8 for a long time and maybe ever. Its a very special car that is in some ways so good it becomes easy to take a little bit for granted. I would think long and hard before selling the Z8.

Did you decide to keep it, or buy the AM?

Keep us posted......thanks.
    Andrew Macpherson

Found a DB9 in the correct color with very low miles not too far from my house. Waiting to see if we can work out a swap. Probably would not be a cash seller as I really do like the Alpina, just cannot rationalize having two toys in our garage. My car has 8.483 miles, is in perfect condition, has been garage kept and has never been in the rain, so while I live in the NE it has never been exposed to the elements. I have all of the original equipment that came with the car, including the "book" (thanks to Bill Stewart!) and had the PP installed this past summer. To get me to part with the car the dealer really is going to have to get to $130k for the Alpina. Time will tell. The longer it takes the less inclined I am to part with the car. I took some pictures of it for the first time this past week and really found a renewed appreciation of the car as a result. (Tried to post them, but for some reason I am not having luck. I took them with a Nikon D200 and think the resolution is too high.)

If ever you (or anyone else) has problems posting pix just email them to me and I'll pop 'em up for you. I usually re-format and enhance most pix anyway because I'm a photoshop addict, but if you feel the urge to do it right the site's default size is 800 pixels wide by 72 dpi. You can stack up as many pix as you like on a single canvas if you know how to do that in Photoshop, an image 800 pixels wide by 50 inches is what I usually do when I posting a series of shots in the forum. If you cat do that then just size them and the Manage Image dialog box will let you upload ten images.

Hit 'Go Advanced' below, then 'Manage Attachments' then upload using this box shown below.

Andrew Macpherson

NB: Pictures added to lead post.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks. I have decided to keep the Alpina! What was I thinking????

Z8Mania
    Hey, everyone gets tempted. You made the right move. The pics are wonderful. Its taken me time but I really like those wheels.

You made the right move.
    I think so too, not that I don't like AM's, I think they are gorgeous cars, but there's another one just like it, only better, coming next year, and the year after that, and the model after that too, but the Z8 will never be repeated.
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Good decision. Wise words.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar

Very good decision !!!

By taking a look at the offers in Germany, the asking prices for an ALPINA in almost new condition are rising like mad. I also would keep the car for sure! Not only is it a lot of fun, it is also a good investment.

The asking price for the ALPINA showed below is EURO 185.000 (US $ 277.000) !!!

What can I say ....

Best Regards,

Jürgen

I have to be honest, if a sale occurs at that level I might have to change my mind! WOW!

If I understand the story correctly the Alpina's here in the USA are sold as BMW's, so their paperwork, and VIN's record them as BMW's, which means that even though the cars are the same the 105 EU cars are the only true Alpinas, as they are registered as Alpinas, not BMW's, and that rarity is what is diving their prices so much higher that the more common US cars.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Is this true for the other Alpina model sold here- the B7?

I checked out the web site and was struck by both the number of Z8's/Alpina's for sale, 69, and the prices, especially once you convert them back into US$! I also came across this picture which goes to show how important the color combination on a car is to curb side appeal. What were they thinking when they changed the Alpina wheels to Black???? This car looks far less appealing then the only other White one that I saw in the Gallery of the heavily modified one in Japan.

Picture of modified White one from the gallery