Thread: Shark Injector

Shark Injector

The December Roundel has an advertisement for the TurnerMotorsports "Shark Injector" which is cliamed to increase HP by 23 and Torque by 18lb/ft. The price on the web site is $369 and the installation seems fairly straight forward even if ladden with serious warnings.

One of the "bonus features" is "Sport Mode" memory, which will leave the sports mode on when turning off the engine, something that many have discussed before as a desirable feature.

Here is the link to their website and the information.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...8&subcat_id=73

What are your thoughts and experiences if any?
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Octane 91 en 93 ? What is the best fuel you can get over there Skip ? A 23 hp increase sounds a little too good to be true (?) The Vmax limiter remover sounds nice ! I don't understand the DSC button-control ?

Sounds like snake oil.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by RRZ8 View Post
    Octane 91 en 93 ? What is the best fuel you can get over there Skip ? A 23 hp increase sounds a little too good to be true (?) The Vmax limiter remover sounds nice ! I don't understand the DSC button-control ?
    93 Octane fuel is available at most gas stations in the area. Price around $3.00 per US Gallon which feels high here now, but a lot less than there in Europe as a gallon is 3.75liters.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Over here (Neherlands) the BMW dealer advises 98 octane (available for about 1.50 euro per liter) in stead of K&N filters or light-tuning packages. In Germany one can get 100 octane (don't know if this really makes a difference?)

There are a couple of differences on the way gas is graded between the EU & US - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

most European pumps deliver 95 (RON) as "regular", equivalent to 90-91 US (R+M)/2, and even deliver 98 (RON) or 100 (RON).
    Sadly here in California the highest grade gas you can buy is our 91, your 95, all US spec German cars are tuned to run on this.

On the Snake Oil kit - you will never notice a difference of only 4% in power, you can gain or loose that by going up a few hundred feet above sea level, then coming back down again.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Musta10000 View Post
    The December Roundel has an advertisement for the TurnerMotorsports "Shark Injector" which is cliamed to increase HP by 23 and Torque by 18lb/ft. The price on the web site is $369 and the installation seems fairly straight forward even if ladden with serious warnings.

One of the "bonus features" is "Sport Mode" memory, which will leave the sports mode on when turning off the engine, something that many have discussed before as a desirable feature.

Here is the link to their website and the information.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...8&subcat_id=73

What are your thoughts and experiences if any?
    I don't see a claim of any horsepower increase on the Z8 page. Most tuners, Dinan included, have stated that there is not way to get more power out of the S62 motor with just software.

That said, the Shark injector has an excellent reputation in BMW circles. I've installed it in my e36 M3 and did "before and after" comparisons on the dyno and got about a 25hp and 20ft/lb torque boost.

Quote Originally Posted by ///M Blitz View Post
    I don't see a claim of any horsepower increase on the Z8 page. Most tuners, Dinan included, have stated that there is not way to get more power out of the S62 motor with just software.

That said, the Shark injector has an excellent reputation in BMW circles. I've installed it in my e36 M3 and did "before and after" comparisons on the dyno and got about a 25hp and 20ft/lb torque boost.

M Blitz, yes there is very little room for a bit more HP by just adjusting the software. Nowack Tuning (a BMW Z8 expert tuner in Germany) claims an increase of 25 hp in his 'stage 1' package. He also says that this difference is not noted when driving.....