Thread: Bumper Damage

Z8 Novice

Bumper Damage

I've followed this website faithfully, posted rarely, and I've appreciated the lucid comments of other owners. Now I have a problem. I hit a raccoon, of all things, at about 100mph the other night. No chance to avoid it. The damage was about as I expected. I have about a three inch crack in the lower front bumper as well as a broken lower grill. The raccoon, I'm sure, faired much worse. To paraphrase Ferris Buehler, I love this car more than life itself. I'll never sell it, my boys will inherit it, but my philosophy has been to keep it original for its inaugural day at Pebble Beach in 2048. So do I hurt the value or authenticity by replacing the entire front bumper, since I've discovered it is one piece molded construction, or do I attempt to have the crack repaired and repainted? I guess one final choice would be, do I replace the bumper and keep the original in the attic? Is it acceptable to replace parts that don't have a VIN number stamped on them? What's considered automotively correct? Thanks in advance.

-Dan
    2002 Red Red/Black

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I am in the car business and I know exactly what you are talking about. If it were my car, I would definately get it fixed, but the first course of action I would take is to see if the original bumper could be repaired PERFECTLY. If the answer is no, I would replace it. It is not a numbered piece so no one is going to go look for the VIN on the part, as one would do if it were the rear bumper. Since you plan to never sell the car, I don't think you can make a wrong decision any way you look at it.

I'd fully agree, but as someone with an attic full of odd bits I'd suggest getting a new one to put on the car, and have the old one repaired and pop it in the attic as a spare. I'd also ue this as a golden opportunity to get the radiators cleaned, as they have been noted by the Z8 Club to get very badly clogged.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    I can't go against someone who is in the business, but every bit of advice I've ever been given on this topic is as follows: bumpers, rocker panels, get them repainted, or replaced, its fine and won't really affect the long term value of the car. People expect these items to get damaged. The hood, doors or trunk are the opposite. Do not repaint or replace unless absolutely necessary. I had someone with a pick up back into my original front bumper and replaced it btw.

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar

Bumper Replacement

Just a heads up, I hit a piece of retread from a truck shortly after I got my Z8. Also had a crack on the side near the bottom of the front "bumper" and the lower black grill was cracked. These are not the only items that probably need repair. On my 2002 I also had to have a shield that runs under the front end replaced as when the bumper got pushed back, this item, which is attached to the back of it, was severly cracked and needed replacement. Luckly for me my insurance covered the entire repair.

Another note, when replacing the front bumper make sure the repair shop nows to put the proper mixture in the paint so that it will flex when items strike it. The first few times I drove the car after the repair any time a stone, even a small one, hit the new front bumper, it would cause small chuncks of paint to come off. I had to have the body shop, from BMW, repaint the bumper a second time to correct the mixture so it would flex when stricken. I still occaisionaly have a piece flake off if a large stone strikes the front. Eventually I will need to repaint the front bumper again.
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

Z8Mania
    or get the front bumper covered with 3M clear protectant. I used to be against this but I am now a convert- for the bumper and the rocker panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I've followed this website faithfully, posted rarely, and I've appreciated the lucid comments of other owners. Now I have a problem. I hit a raccoon, of all things, at about 100mph the other night. No chance to avoid it. The damage was about as I expected. I have about a three inch crack in the lower front bumper as well as a broken lower grill. The raccoon, I'm sure, faired much worse. To paraphrase Ferris Buehler, I love this car more than life itself. I'll never sell it, my boys will inherit it, but my philosophy has been to keep it original for its inaugural day at Pebble Beach in 2048. So do I hurt the value or authenticity by replacing the entire front bumper, since I've discovered it is one piece molded construction, or do I attempt to have the crack repaired and repainted? I guess one final choice would be, do I replace the bumper and keep the original in the attic? Is it acceptable to replace parts that don't have a VIN number stamped on them? What's considered automotively correct? Thanks in advance.

-Dan
    2002 Red Red/Black

Dan, I guess the problem is not if you have to replace or repair the part, but the paintjob afterwards..... ?