Thread: A look at "The Book"

Thumbs up A look at "The Book"

This exquisitely designed, printed, boxed and bound book was never for sale, it came as a gift from BMW AG to the original purchaser of each Z8.

If you bought your car second hand and it didn't come with the book it may well be because the original owner never got it, as surprisingly few people within BMW and their sales team are even aware of it, or that he chose to keep it, so sadly there isn't much you can do about it. I know many have tried, and none have succeeded. I tried to match my old Euro Z8 with it's book, but despite two years of trying was never able to.

In the end I bought this one below from EBay. The seller wouldn't let it go for less than $750, it never reached it's reserve in that sale, he emailed me as highest bidder, and named his price! So if you want one, keep an eye on EBay and be prepared to pay for it. This book was for a European spec Stratus car made in final year of production.

As a collector of rare photographic books I think it is actually a reasonable price for this unique piece. It is one of the very most beautifully made books in my very considerable book collection. Every part of it is sensational, and I expect it to become as collectable as the car itself. I'm confident if you have to buy yours it will a great investment, just like the car itself.

As of August 2016 the entire stock of books that BMW NA had have now been allocated, so pretty much the only way to now find a book is on eBay.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Wow!

What a truely amazing book! Just like the Z8 itself.

At least BMW didn't do what Mclaren did with the 'Driving Ambition' book and that was to sell it openly to the public but missing the luxury touches that came with the owner's editions. I'm glad I got the chance to purchase one though.

I like the cut out drawing that's in the Z8 book. (3rd picture down)

Season's greetings.
    Clint

I have made up my own collection of these books simply because I enjoy collecting things. The reason I post this here is that should you become the owner of one of these cars, and have the pink slip to show you are the owner, I will make the book for your car available to you for what I paid for it on EBay. (My EBay average cost for these books is US$800.00 each.)

These are the serial numbers I have in my collection:

Please note that this is not a "for sale" post - these books are not for sale - they are part of my private collection, so unless you become the owner of one of these cars, please don't ask about the books.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I bought my 2002 from the original owner through his agent and never got the book. Anyone have any information on car # 61357 book?? Let me know [email protected]

Sport Button On

Smile Would like book for 61897 too

Original owner of my car had the book, but when traded the car in (for a Gallardo) to Fox Valley Motorsports, he gave it to them. they sold the car to a local BMW dealer in Indy, who didn't have the book (or much else - got most of the stuff from Fox Valley later). Assume the book was sold. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Also looking for "the book" to our car

We bought our Z8 from a dealer in CA (we are now second owner), minus "the book". Our number is 61906. If anyone comes across info/book for this number, please let me know.

DSC Off

Hey Andrew.....this is a long shot...

......I have 61221. Any chance you transposed a 1 and 2 in 62121 in your earlier post. Thanks regardless!

No, I checked, I had it right the first time, but keep an eye on EBay, they do come up every now and then.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off

A look at "The Book"

eBay item #120200951903. Red leather cover.

Additional info about the book

This is the response when I asked for the Vin:
    "the car in the photo is black with a red interior (obviously the same as my car was)
    vin is AH61375
    If you know who owns the car now, I'd love to know as this book should go to them.
    Cheers,
    Paul"

I checked the admin database, and that isn't a VIN that has passed thru here.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I bought "The Book." I spoke with the owner. He bought his car new but had problems with it and ended up having BMW buy the car back. He has had the book for years but he recently moved and found it while unpacking at his new place. It wasn't cheap and I know the VIN doesn't match my car, but it was the only item my car was missing and my previous Z8 had it, so I was on a quest to get another one.

Congratulations, they are really wonderful books, and every owner should have one, even if it means going to EBay.
    Andrew Macpherson

I received "The Book" on Monday. It was exactly as represented and in perfect condition. It is for car number 61375, which is a black car with a red interior. Hopefully, BMW NA will eventually come up with a book for my car number 60496, but I figured a bird in the hand was worth buying this book. If the owner of this car wants to buy this book if and when I receive my book from BMW NA, I would be happy to do so. Otherwise, if I do get my book, I will first post this book on the forum for sale and then, if it does not sell, put it back on eBay.

Ken, four years later, and that car AH61375 has just arrived on the site, looking for its book! Do you happen to know what happened to it?
    Andrew Macpherson

It looks like Marty purchased it...

So it did, opps, I just did a search, and found your post! I expect that the cars new owner, who is hear in LA, can contact Marty via the board.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    Hello Z8 owners,

I just bought an '02 Z8 silver and I would love to get the book to it.
    My VIN number is H61357.
    Any support is very much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steadyfredy
    310 666-0989

Oppps, my dyslexia strikes again, I mixed up the 57 and the 75!

In April Bill Stuart will be back from his yearly sabbatical, and he has been incredibly helpful at getting owners books, though you will have to order a VIN plate for it separately, that is an easy part to get from your dealer. Here is Bill's email - [email protected]
    Andrew Macpherson

Bill got me a book last October so as of then they were still available. How do I go about ordering the plate for the cover?

It is the exact same plate that is in your car, thus it is also a spare part you can order it from your BMW dealer. It takes a little while for it to come, and when it does it is a metal peel-off sticker. You just take off the backing, and stick it onto your book.
    Andrew Macpherson

Does anyone know the part number for the VIN plate. I cant find it on the realoem.com website. I would like to make sure the dealer orders the correct part.

The term "plate" is a bit ambitious. It's just the standard VIN sticker, but it has thickness to it.

Any BMW dealer should have the form to order a new VIN sticker. The form is to prove you own the car, etc. It's a little more than ordering a standard part, but it's pretty simple from what I've seen.
    thegunguy

Someone told me that the "Individual" Z8 (Shamu) have a different book: no leather cover but a kind of leather case. Anyone ever seen one?
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I've not seen an Individual book, and only once seen one of those cars in the flesh.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew,

Maybe someone else can shed his light over this "story"
    Ton

If anyone has success ordering the vin sticker, let me know. I tried ordering one, but was told BMWNA no longer give these out.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Just replaced the sticker on the drivers door jamb

I think you can get them from the dealer. I had to replace one that had been damaged by the seat belt. After two tries they were able to replace it.

I'm pretty sure this is the same one in the "Book"

Andy
    _________
    Andy Lytle
    2002 Z8 Silver/Black 23k
    Performance Package
    CDV Removed
    www.golytle.com

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    If anyone has success ordering the vin sticker, let me know. I tried ordering one, but was told BMWNA no longer give these out.
    My experience is that the dealer, after having gotten approval from the BMWNA rep, will replace a damaged one on the car but won't "hand them out"
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I got mine today from my dealer without any problems. The sticker came from Munich.
    Ton

I guess I'll try my dealer here. Unfortunately, the US stickers are different from the European ones.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Did anyone find the part number?
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

I think it is 71212122606 but you can find the number right under on the car sticker
    Ton

Rare Z8 Find

On my "quest" for Z8 automobilia I did a rare find: "The book" for the Z8 Indivual.

The book I found is for one of the eleven made Stratus // Crema cars. It is full leather case (black//crema) with a silver "Z8" logo on the front. The leather case is opened like a book

The contents of the book is the same but the glued in polaroid is one of wrapped in car which is definitely not a "Shamu" car. It makes it clear that they were not very specific with pictures in the book.

When I inspected the book I was convinced of the authenticity: no one could remove the drawing on the inner side of the book cover and put it so nicely over the leather cover and stitch it so nicely

And were do you get a VIN with "Sonderlackierung" (special paint)

It is a top quality book which I like very much
    Ton

Great find!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Wonderful find!!
    Andrew Macpherson

This is the page of the publisher/printer

http://www.hoffmann-und-campe-corporate-publishing.de

Ton

Great find, thanks so much!
    Andrew Macpherson

I finally e-mail Bill Stuart about a week ago (after having the Z8 since 2005) and received the book today. WOW - it is incredible. My color does match the car so I am all set. The Vin obviously is off, but that's ok as I would not want to alter the book. What a piece of art!

Bill truly is the Guardian Angel of the Z8.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Sport Button On
    Having bought our second Z8 Black over Red do you think Bill would be able to get us a copy of the book and send to the UK, please could you let me have the email address. Many thanks

Congratulations!
    Ton

He needs to car to have a registered owner here in the USA to release a book, they are just for BMW NA customers, so I know he is unable to send them overseas - I've already asked him several times :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Please note that as of August 2016 the entire stock of books from BMW NA has now been allocated, so pretty much the only way to now find a book is on ebay.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    He needs to car to have a registered owner here in the USA to release a book, they are just for BMW NA customers, so I know he is unable to send them overseas - I've already asked him several times :-)
    New to this thread.

Not sure how I lucked out. I have a Euro. It was purchased from a German dealer and imported to me thru a Broker/importer. I got it in 2001. I received "the" book from the factory, I think about 2003 or 2004, I did not record the date.

I thought maybe the factory tracked me down thru service records. IDK.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    Anyone know of a "Book" related to #60477?

Just buy a book on Ebay and order the VIN plate to put on the book!
    Ton

I'm not sure anyone here in the U.S. has had success in obtaining an accurate replica of the VIN sticker. Not to mention, the cheapest "Book" on EBAY is offered at about $2,000.00.

Bill

The Ebay prices are ridiculous again. And there are not much on offering the last couple of months

Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    I'm not sure anyone here in the U.S. has had success in obtaining an accurate replica of the VIN sticker. Not to mention, the cheapest "Book" on EBAY is offered at about $2,000.00.

Bill
    Ton

Bill
    With access to an original VIN sticker, you could probably make a reasonable reproduction using Photoshop to edit. My recollection is the VIN sticker is printed on a special type of material that would make an exact replica impossible.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

We have a book with black leather that we would happily trade for créma... just sayin'!

Z8 Novice
    Anyone here has or knows where I can find book 61376?

Yesterday I got a message via Facebook from the owner of the Book of my Z8. He got the book years back from the first owner and kept it all these years. Because he had pictures of the car parked outside his parents home, he knew the license plate and via Google he found out that I was the owner now. We came to an agreement and soon are car and book united! Sometimes miracles happen!
    Ton

Wow! Congratulations Ton, that is so cool. Since we now know miracles can happen, anybody happen to have the book for 60536?

Wow! Congratulations Ton, that is so cool. Since we now know miracles can happen, anybody happen to have the book for 60536?
    Ton

What a great story, love it when wonderful things really do happen!
    Andrew Macpherson

just sent him the link of this thread....maybe he believes in miracles too
    Ton