Thread: Fisker design taken to the MAX!

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Fisker design taken to the MAX!

Henrik Fisker designed the Aston Martin V8 Vantage while he worked for the company and it is expected to be the best selling AM in history. A new concept version has just been shown which retains the Fisker coachwork but employs a 600-hp V12 borrowed from the DBRS9 race car. Dubbed the V12 Vantage RS, it is likely to find its way into production next year as a limited edition model priced above the current flagship DBS. This should be one very hot mama!

Splendid!!

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

PP

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Splendid!!
    Fantastic
    I can see in the engine picture something similar to our PP (performance Package)
    Not a bad idea to make that "standard"
    Luigi

Not only is that strut brace beautifully designed and crafted, notice that AM went one step farther and triangulated the bracing. A bar which spans the 2 strut towers only resists deformation in one plane whereas the addition of bars triangulated to the cowl forms an extremely rigid brace which will add real stiffness to the chassis as well as resisting deformation in multiple planes. Well done Aston Martin! This is the approach I am encouraging Dinan to take when they look into an alternative brace for the Z8. Also, notice the extensive use of carbon fiber throughout the new car, the retractable rear wing which preserves the car's beautiful lines, and the addition of carbon ceramic brake discs. Assuming the bigger lump doesn't upset the car's handling balance, this V12 Vantage RS is going to be a real competitor to anything Ferrari has to offer. Very impressive indeed!

The one area that Ferrari are moving that really has my attention is the new lightweight car they are working on, codenamed Millechilli or something like that. The reason for the bad pop band from 90's moniker is they're trying to keep the weight down to a thousand kilos, or 2,200lbs. That will put the 600hp twin turbo V8 in a performance category all of it's own, matching the Lotus Exige S that I take to the track for weight, but with three times the power!

The bid for all this power does leave me scratching my head a bit, because while my 220hp Lotus is sooo much fun at the track, it has the power to break loose it's wheels already, so 600hp will just require a huge amount of electronics to keep all that power in check. I'd also venture that there are very few drivers in the world who can really use such a beast, but that never stopped them before!
    Andrew Macpherson

I've actually been on the track with a V8 Vantage, and I must say that I am pleased to hear of future V12 coming. To me, the exhaust note on the Vantage is dreadful, especially in comparison to AM V12, which has one of the best timbres on the street. The current note had me wondering "does it have a HEMI?"

A roughly 50% increase in power will certainly help too!

On the subject of the DBS, it's pretty amazing the transformation that the platform has undergone form the DB9. Certainly the engine upgrade is welcome, but the reduced weight and improved suspension and brakes should greatly improve one of the most gorgeous GT cars on the road.

GM - thanks for the correction. I thought Fisker did the DB9 and McCallum did the Vantage.
    Last edited by thegunguy; December 19th 2007 at 20:07.
    thegunguy

Mac, I too am looking forward to Ferrari's new direction in performance through efficiency. The Mille-Chili you referred to is described as a short-wheelbase Enzo called the FXX Mille-Chili. It reportedly does weigh 1000 kilograms or 2200 lbs. and has a 660-bhp motor giving it a power to weight ratio far better than a stock Enzo, or just about anything else I am aware of that can be driven on the street. Interestingly enough, Ferrari has already started down this path with the new 430 Scuderia which weighs just 2976 lbs. and produces 510 bhp. And if they debut the rumored "Dino" at the Detroit Auto Show, I expect to see the next step in this direction. You're absolutely right about electronics being needed to control all that power in a lightweight vehicle and Ferrari has no doubt learned a great deal from the traction control systems used in their F1 cars. I think the reason for wanting/needing more power than can possibly be applied while cornering is for those straight sections of track/road where there never seems to be enough power. I agree that mere mortals cannot possibly utilize all the power available in such cars but most owners will never take their cars to the track so it's really a moot point. On the other hand, given a straight stretch of road and no other traffic, who wouldn't want to put their foot to the floor and feel that warp speed sensation, even if for just a few moments. The good news is, with a lighter weight car contributing to the higher power to weight ratio, rather than just a more powerful engine in a heavier car, the driver's ability to utilize all that power increases significantly due to the increase in tire traction resulting from the decrease in overall weight. I think this is the future of high-performance automobiles, especially given the increasing awareness/sensitivity to energy consumption on the part of the manufacturers. I only hope BMW sees the light sooner rather than later.

I can't believe they stole the RS logo from Porsche, even for a concept!

I can't believe they stole the RS logo from Porsche, even for a concept!
    I was rather surprised by that too, I'm sure that will open up the car to comparative tests against the king of 911's in all the mags, Evo is the one I'll be looking out for. I guess if it can trounce an RS then it can wear the badge, but if it doesn't get round the 'Ring in less than 7:43 (Porsche 996 GT3 RS with factory test driver Walter Roehrl) they should consider changing it's name.
    CCS might do it, Country Club Sport!
    Andrew Macpherson

Using the name RS is bad enough, but they are opening themselves up to more than comparisons....that's trademark infringement!

But, looks like a really nice/hot car

Very, very close - close enough to be taken as throwing down the gauntlet on track and the courtroom. Take your seats, and pass the popcorn!

Andrew Macpherson

Really very close but not the same, but legally too close I'm sure. I was thinking, how "protectable" are the car logos? you never see a ? or ? on them.

RS as in rallye sport? Public domain, I am sure.

The name, yes. But, not the logo/design.

Z8Mania
    This is what the AMV8 needed to be from day one- the bulky shifter is also probably better suited for shows than real driving. But if it works- then great. I am less than sold on the DBS- they took a very elegant and feminine vehicle and tried to make it look tough. The result is a little too "butch" for my tastes. The interior is gorgeous and I think the performance is what the AMV8 should have had from the beginning. Overall, AM lost me when they gave the press cars with different suspension setups for their first drives of the DB9. Evo had a big cover story on this a few years ago and slammed them on it.

The next Ferrari supercar will be a twin turbo V8 featuring around 800bhp and lighter weight and smaller than the Enzo. Word is it will feature very steeply raked windshield with fixed seat and the pedals and instruments and steering wheel will move to meet you.

Jerry is dat you?
    Small world, eh?

Agree with you guys about lightweight being the path.
    Modern cars that move me will be lighter, better susp. set up and chasis dynamics.

As far as hp needs, I will better answer that question when the TT 512 emerges next month with over 900 ponies. Just couldn't help myself....

Z8Mania
    Hey there River- it is me and it is a small world!!! How do you like that.. Its an Extraordinarily Cool coincidence!!!

I have been lurking on here for years and sporadically turn up the heat for a stratus z8.

Z8Mania
    I love the stratus too. Love your AMV8 too... great car. A real good looker.