View Poll Results: What is your preference regarding the NEW proposal?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it, but want to see the new design before committing.

23 71.88%
  • I like it, and will by it regardless of design.

1 3.13%
  • I am not interested in this limited edition watch.

6 18.75%
  • It should be available to only registered Z8 owners.

10 31.25%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: New Poll regarding BMW Z8 Watch Proposal

New Poll regarding BMW Z8 Watch Proposal

Please vote your preference on the NEW BMW Z8 Watch proposal, please vote also on the last question too.

The proposal is [here].
    Last edited by Z8doc; November 30th 2007 at 03:28.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

I doubt that anyone but us crazy Z8 owners would want a $4,500 watch based around this movement, so I say let anyone buy it so we have the most chance to reach the 50 mark! As you can see Valjoux is part of ETA, who are part of Swatch.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    Andrew,
    Before casting too many aspersions at Swatch, you ought to see who else is part of Swatch - among the brands owned by Swatch are Omega and Glashuette Original

This is a better explanation and pictures....

of the Valjoux 7750 Chronograph, which is the same movement as the 7753 Bicompax with date, which is what BMW has proposed.

The Valjoux 7750 movement can be found in many high quality watches and can be viewed here
    Best Regards,

Jeff

This sums up the Valjoux 7750 and why it was chosen...

The Valjoux 7750 expresses an aspect of Swiss engineering skill that we do not normally associate with the Swiss watch industry: economy of manufacture. The 7750 is a good representation of the new, simplified chronographs that began to appear from Ebauches S.A. (now ETA) at the beginning of the 1940s and that provided serious, usually fatal, competition to smaller manufacturers of high-grade chronographs.

The Valjoux 7750 is now used in the vast majority of mechanical chronographs produced in Switzerland, and has allowed the mechanical chronograph function in watches of modest cost. For a caliber obviously engineered from the ground up for economy of manufacture, the 7750 has proved itself a reliable and durable workhorse. Without the 7750, mechanical chronographs might be known only to the buyers of luxury watches.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Before casting too many aspersions at Swatch
    AM and Rover were owned by Ford too, Ferrari and Alfa by Fiat etc, simply mentioning the parent corporations isn't casting an aspiration, merely noting that it is what it is. My Breitling uses an ETA (Swatch) movement and I have a Smart car on order, which is also a Swatch!
    Andrew Macpherson

Yeah, I agree. But movement is a great, reliable movement and as you have mentioned when we talked the other day, alot of the watches with this movement vary in cost from $400 or so to $1500 or so. I think this movement works for us (although, like you, I prefer the TriCompax design without the Date option) and the cost for us to get to the price of $4,000 to $4,500 / watch is from the very limited production (50) and the Z8 / BMW specific labeling and the hand skeletonized Rotor showing the Z8, kind of a tedious piece for the back of the watch.

I have written to BMW about our overall design requests, wants and desires from what I saw here on our site including some of our previous renderings and told them to come up with some pictures as at this point, I think everyone would like to see what they have in mind.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Team Z8
    Jeff,
    I have been an ardent supporter of this idea from the beginning and feel strongly that the value of such a piece lies in its personalization. It's my opinion that our serial numbers (last 4 digits) need to be on our watches, otherwise, they will seem generic.
    Thanks, Chris

Maybe.........

Maybe it will be a good idea to put the serial # of each car so it will be more personal.
    Also I want to let you know by accident I can't open my Yahoo mail and have a new one.

Have a ncie hollidays and God bless you all.

PP. my Beauty is getting more and more awesome!

Happy holidays to you too - I updated your email in your profile too.
    Andrew Macpherson

Opps, it didn't copy over, please pm me your email - that way it won't be visible to the web-spiders that crawl around looking for emails to spam too.
    Andrew Macpherson

I see action on the poll here, but we have no new news on the watch itself?

I ended up getting the Glash?tte Sport Evolution for Christmas. It is such a fine piece that I really wish we were getting that watch for our Z8 watch. Hand built in Germany, it is one of the only watch makers in the world that makes every single piece of the watch in house. (and I love my other half for getting me what I really wanted!!)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    I'm still very interested in a Z8 watch pending the details.

Andrew, congratulations on the Glashutte Sport Evolution. I've been looking at several models (Senator PanoramaDate Moon and PanoMatic Lunar) along with the Sport Evolution. Which model did you get. I'm debating between the Chronograph and the Panorama Date. I'm curious to hear how you like your watch. Best to you!

I got the Chrono, I don't have a watch winding cabinet so I find watches with a date rather annoying if you don't wear them everyday, you're always messing about trying to get the date right, and the number of long distance flights I do in a year adds to that annoyance, so I'm really a fan of simple chronos without day/date functions - it is one of the things I have always appreciated about the Daytona. Speaking of the Daytona, a little bird whispered to me that next year we will see their new chip and scratch proof ceramic black bezel (like the one the Submariner) on a Daytona, now that I'm excited to see - and Christmas is every year!
    Andrew Macpherson

i got an email from BMW NA lifestyles this week and she is expecting to hear from their watch maker in the next 2 weeks about a prototype we can look at. I will post again when I hear from her.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Any news on this front? Or is it DOA?
    Frank Falbey
    62069 - Red // Crema

Just waiting word from the Torneau, the designer and maker of all BMW watches. The contact at BMW Lifestyles sent a preliminary version / design which really was not what most of us would want (read not unique enough) and hence, I informed them of that. She said she would get back to me and that was about a month ago. I think this is a low priority for them but they also said that there was a shortage of movements at present and that would potentially lead to a significant delay.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!
    Frank Falbey
    62069 - Red // Crema

Is the BMW Z8 Watch dead?
    Frank Falbey
    62069 - Red // Crema

I sent the contact at BMW a consensus of opinion as to what we wanted, which was a bit different than what the Torneau designer had come up with, and have not heard anything since... seems the designer (read: artist) may have gotten offended by us rejecting the design they came up with, which is the only thing I can surmise as there has been no response to several emails at the time. So, is it dead? I will send another email, nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I've really moved on from this, and honestly I doubt I'd buy any Z8 watch now, unless it was a watch I actually wanted like maybe a Rolex Daytona.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks again, Jeff.
    Frank Falbey
    62069 - Red // Crema