Thread: Z8 Watch proposal from BMW...

Talking Z8 Watch proposal from BMW...

Here is the proposal that BMW has given me regarding doing a watch for interested Z8 owners. As you can see, it is just not a "re-badged" regular watch with a Z8 logo stuck on it. They want to create something special to go along with the special car, that is great looking, high quality, not too pricey, and easily serviceable for it's US customer base, which I think overall, sounds like a pretty good product. Below is the email response and the proposal. Let me know what you think:

Jeff

The following proposal is for your review and comment. Upon approval that we are on the right track, the designers will provide an image.

Tourneau has done similar watch programs in the past. They are confident that they can manufacturer a watch that will exceed your expectations. I am confident in their ability and would rather go with a reputable US based company whereby I can offer you aftersales service which is in line with the BMW premium brand experience.

This proposal is only for the men's style. At this time, Tourneau is unsure if a ladies version can be done.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BMW Z8 Proposal

Watch will be developed especially for the Z8 club, not just standard watch with attached logo!

Stainless Steel case, screw bezel, screw case back (8 visible screws), swiss made, 5 ATM, double antireflex sapphire crystal on top, sapphire on case-back

Alligator strap with depl. Buckle (steel),

Hand skelettonized rotor showing an Z8 silhouette (appears dimensional, original design was only common laser engraving on standard rotor)

Special dial design, special Rehaut ?double design? (features tachymeter and second indication)

Valjoux 7753 Bicompax movement with date at 6

Min Quantity: 50 pcs

Price watch : approx. $4,000 - $4,500

Prototype est. Feb. 2008

Delivery time about 4 months after prototype acceptance

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let me know your thoughts

Caryn

PS: Note the time frame fits with having it by summer and the Monterrey event.
    Last edited by Z8doc; November 29th 2007 at 04:28.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

It sounds interesting, based on the description, but I'd only confirm my purchase on seeing the final designs.

Here is a useful link about the Valjoux movement.

Most of the watches I've found online using the Valjoux 5573 Bicompax movement are in the EU1,200-2,400 range. Here are a couple to give you an idea of the mechanical 'footprint' of this movement. It is great plus that this would be a unique and fully authorized BMW limited edition piece with a hand skeletonized weight, and it would be great to get them at Monterey too.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Thanks Jeff.

I am with Andrew. Sounds OK but want to see a model before committing.

So if they can produce either by computer or for real a show case so I can see how it will look I can make decision.

regards
    Klaus
    Z8-NL

Sport Button On
    Thanks Jeff

Would the watch be available to UK members if so am very interested subject to viewing a model first

Regards

Guy

Team Z8
    This all sounds quite ideal. Count me in based on approval of final design.
    Chris

If everyone is in agreement,

the email from Caryn stated that if the proposal is "on track" with what we have in mind, then she will begin a design for us and once we agree on that, hopefully begin production by Feb. 2008.

And yes, this would be available to any Z8 owner, despite where you are in the world, but for service issues that might come up, it will be serviced through the US based Tourneau brand via the BMW NA Lifestyles Division.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Honestly if I had to choose I'd take a Valjoux Tricompax without date. Since this would be a 'special occasion' only watch I'd prefer not to mess with adjusting the date on the odd occasions I wanted to wear it (at Z8 meets). I'd really prefer a classic three dial chrono, kind of like the Sinn, a classic Breitling or Rolex Daytona. This shouldn't be too hard to do.

There are a lot of chronos with the Tricompax 7750 family of movements, like this one, this one and this one. All of these ones have the date feature, but the Tricompax is also available without the date feature.
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    would the z8 watch have our serial number?, or just numbered 1 to ........

I think due to size constraints and the sapphire crystal on the back, just numbered 1 thru ....

But, I have sent BMW an email already to address this as I had the same question. I will post when I get a response.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sport Button On - DSC Off Robert Linton's Avatar
    Could we raise the bar a bit?

Not sure what part of the bar you want to raise but in my discussions with the BMW rep., they want to be sure to sell all of what they make but also provide a good to excellent quality watch with our design input that we would be reasonably satisfied with and hence,.... the price range of $4,000 to $4,500 USD. They also insist on the Tourneau label to do it through, as that is who BMW is currently contracted with for all of their Lifestyles watches. Tourneau, has several manufactureres at their disposal, so maybe there is a particular company we would like. BMW is calling the shots here, but rest assured they ARE trying to appeal to what we want. Compromise on both parts is necessary to make this happen as I am sure their will be no "universal watch" that will satisfy everyone 100%.

Just like the Z8, if we each were to build one, we each would have chosen to do lots of things different about the car if we were in charge but all in all, BMW produced a pretty good product I think and I am sure this watch, when completed, should appeal to most of us in one way or another and be a special addition to enhance the ownership experience.

For me, this sounds like it is on the right track and maybe still needs some tweeking. If everyone likes the idea, the next phase is the design phase and get a rendering for us to see.
    Last edited by Z8doc; December 1st 2007 at 01:28.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

DSC Off

Z8 watch

I think that that we have to look for a real swiss made watch.
    A real swiss made watch keeps its value. I like to have a famous mark. I think that is not much more expensive, and the quarentee is worldwide.
    Z8Ros
    Europe

Wow, that is some serious snow - looks like it'll be good skiing over there this year!
    Andrew Macpherson

I agree but...

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Ros View Post
    I think that that we have to look for a real swiss made watch.
    A real swiss made watch keeps its value. I like to have a famous mark. I think that is not much more expensive, and the quarentee is worldwide.
    Z8Ros
    Europe
    the problem is getting BMW to sign off on it and we already tried contacting the watch maker first, then approaching BMW and where shot dead in the water.

Getting BMW to do the "whole project" through their Lifestyles section appears to me to be the only way to get the project done, that is, if we want it to be a Z8 Watch. Obviously, there has to be more compromises on our part if we want the watch to be built in the first place, hence, BMW gets the main vote in who builds the watch and to what standard. Obviously, we have pull in that we are the consumer and do not have to buy it. It is my hope that we can get a good to high quality watch that is swiss made, which the proposal is by the way, and be reasonably happy with it being limited edition. It should maintain it's value and certainly be "collectable, just like the car is becoming.
    Last edited by Z8doc; December 1st 2007 at 16:16.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

I'm sure you already forwarded this....

but just incase here are some of the things that everyone really liked at different times in the previous Z8 watch suggestions. If BMW Lifestyle's designers have this as a starting place I think it might be helpful to make sure they understand where we want to go, and why.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On
    Jeff
    Would just like to thank you for your efforts so far, if it wasn't for your determination we wouldn't be discussing a watch of any sorts!! As long as it is exsclusive to Z8 owners and of quality, thats the right direction.

I am fortunate enough to own some "Aston Martins". They are linked to Jaeger LeCoultre, but the mistake they make is they can be bought in department stores, hence no exculsivity. Mind you if as an extra to the new DBS they are producing a limited production of 200 rose gold watches that as you approach the car, press the face and hey presto the car opens! Only a $36000 cost !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Team Z8
    Any word on the watch design?