Thread: info on combo

info on combo

Can anyone tell me the suspension, wheel and tire sizes on this car?
    http://www.bmwz8.us/htmlL/test1.php?...174&ImgID=1042

It appears to have different diameter wheels front to back (in some pics) or is that just an illusion?

I am trying to paste this pic from the Gallery, I believe it said it was Dave's car in Utah. Silver with a decal on the door.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I don't see what you've linked to, just code. Dave's car has the Racing Dynamic's RDll 19" wheels and the Brembo big brake kit.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Hey 2112 - hope you are well

Those are RD2's as Andrew says.

I have Dinan S3 suspension and Bridgestone tires. The wheels are the same size (19 inches)

Here is the link to Racing Dynamics - there is a bogus website out there. http://www.racdyn-usa.com/index.shtml. The guy you want to deal with is Federico Pavoncelli.

I can send you a higher resolution image. I imagine you were referring to the car under the tree - just send me a private message via the website with your email if you would like one

Cheers

Dave P

Fixed the link rather than paste a pic.

Are the wheels different diameter? What size tires are they?

You have my pumpkin in there correct?
    2000 Red over black

Hey 2112

Yes, that is your pumpkin in there. I hope you like your upgraded diff as much as I do. Good talking to you around that time.

The wheels are the same diameter - though I agree, they do not always look the same size.

I am running Bridgestone RE050A tires : 245/40-19 in front and 285/35 - 19 in the rear.

If you upgrade your tires I would recommend the Michelin PS2's though. I think the Bridgestones are a little too stiff for this car. This tire size also necessitated filing down a flange and squaring off a bolt on the inside of the rear wheel wells. You cannot tell from the outside of the car, and it is hard to tell even when looking into the well. Dieter had similar issues but also had to do the modifications in the front wells. I think this is because he is running ACS suspension which might lower the car slightly more.

Cheers

Dave P

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsbreath View Post
    I think the Bridgestones are a little too stiff for this car.
    Dave,

I've forgotten, are you running the RE050A PP or just the standard (non-RFT) RE050A?
    thegunguy

Hey Rifle

I am running non run flats. By PP do you mean the higher performance tire - or is that the run flat designation ?. These are the high performance non run-flats.

Cheers

Dave

So, they're not the Pole Positions? There are actually four RE050 models.

RE050 Standard
    RE050A Standard
    RE050A Run-Flat
    RE050A Pole Position

The Pole Position is the replacement for the S03 PP. Just curious which you have, and how you are liking them.
    thegunguy

You answered my question before I even posted it.

They are pole positions (RE050A Pole Position)
    - non run-flat type.

These are fantastic track tires. Grip is great. I do a mixture of driving though and I find these tires a little stiff for the road.

I actually liked my Dunlop Sport Maxx tires better for all around driving. Those were 18 inch tires so I cannot do a direct comparison but they handled extremely well and provided a more pleasant drive on regular roads

Dave

Dave, Thanks for the response. Back in 2001 I put 19x9 and 19x10 HREs on with Yokohamas P255 in front and P295 in back. They have a great ride and track well but have been discontinued so I am always checking other's combos. The offset on the HREs prevented any rubbing with the body work but I also don't have the full fender look you have. I also lowered my car with H&R springs. I am not in love with these, they have stock (soft) spring rates and they lowered the car too much in the rear. Again your look seems very proportionate in the ride height and I like it. BTW The Brembo importers in LA developed a modified 550 Maranello kit into the Z8 set up for my car through a local custom shop (Feb, 02') so I have those too

I have all the S2 mods except the springs. What is the difference between S2 and S3 susupensions?
    2000 Red over black

Hey 2112

The s3 just adds adjustable camber plates to the front.

Cheers

dave p

Actually, they're fixed caster plates, even though the Dinan site lists them as camber/caster - web error.

The full Dinan S3 includes springs, front/rear sways, and caster plates.
    thegunguy

How is the ride height affected? Dave's car looks to be just a tiny bit higher in the rear, like a stock set up but lower. That is what I want....and a bit firmer resistance.
    2000 Red over black

At installation, the S3 lowered my car by 1/4" on all four corners. Without measuring, I'm guessing it's settled to about 1/2" after ~7,000 miles (including 5/6 track days).

See full review by Z8Doc and myself http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=323
    thegunguy

Mine claimed 2" up front and 1" in the rear. I am guessing 2.5" in the rear and it drives me nuts. Guess I need to do some styudying. Thanks for the link
    2000 Red over black

The caster plates add back 1/4". So, without the plates, Dinan expects 1/2". You numbers sound more like the ACS ride height.
    thegunguy

25 years ago, when I was modifying my 66 convertible mustang (still have it BTW) we would cut the coil springs to get the ride height and spring rate we wanted. As you cut the spring it would increase the rate of resistance (increased rate). It was not rocket science but it seemed to work very well, but then again, a 66 mustang suspension geometry is pretty simple in it's design.

I wonder if there is any knowledgeable shop out there that could take say a Dinan spring and cut a tiny bit off to increase the rate or change the ride height?
    2000 Red over black