Thread: Legal Laser jammers?

Legal Laser jammers?

A couple weeks ago, Autoweek had a light weight article on radar detectors and mentioned they had laser jammers that worked pretty well.

They mentioned not names or any real facts.

Anyone know more on these Jammers?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I have heard that they are both detectable, and also illegal, so I'm not sure just how clever they are. They can't jam without being detected, and if they are detected you're gonna get pulled anyway. I have used a V1 for many, many years, and haven't had a ticket since. Mind you I never speed in towns, villages or on the freeway, I keep my thrills to the scenic back roads, of which there are plenty here in SoCal.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I have heard that they are both detectable, and also illegal, so I'm not sure just how clever they are. They can't jam without being detected, and if they are detected you're gonna get pulled anyway. I have used a V1 for many, many years, and haven't had a ticket since. Mind you I never speed in towns, villages or on the freeway, I keep my thrills to the scenic back roads, of which there are plenty here in SoCal.
    How many times do you think the V1 has actually prevented you from getting a ticket?

Up here it is about $. They are trying to cash in on you going 65mph on I-5. My V-1 won't even beep once on their newest Lidar but goes crazy on very GM neon taillight I encounter. The article never mentioned legality, that is why I asked here.
    2000 Red over black

How many times do you think the V1 has actually prevented you from getting a ticket?
    The question is a bit of a double edged sword, because I would speed much less and in fewer places without the safety of the V1, but on average I'd say I get 'saved' about 15-20 times a year with it.

As I said I never speed in town, through country villages or around anything that looks like it could present a sudden danger. I keep my speeding to the big open backroads of the south-west. On those roads some of the V1's saves have been spectacular, like doing 140+ across the Nevada desert with nothing in sight. The V1 went beserk as I approach a very slight dip in a long, long, long open straight - I jam on the anchors, and get it down to 55mph - just in time - a local sheriff is lying in wait right out there in the middle of nowhere, totally out of sight! I smile and wave, but he looks furious! He must have heard me racing towards him, and the car braking like mad, but he didn't get a reading!

Happily it seems the CHP & NV/AZ police are all on Ka band, which is what it is best at sniffing out. I'm sure the dread day of some terrible new instant on system will be here before too long!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post

Happily it seems the CHP & NV/AZ police are all on Ka band, which is what it is best at sniffing out. I'm sure the dread day of some terrible new instant on system will be here before too long!
    Just wait until the insurance companies start buying them the instant on LIDAR units like they did up here.
    2000 Red over black

I've found the best way to avoid tickets is to spend ample time at the track...
    thegunguy

I am not racing on the streets. 65 in a 60mph is all it takes to rack up a ticket up here. This is a tax, unfortunately, my insurance uses it to increase profits.
    2000 Red over black

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
    I am not racing on the streets. 65 in a 60mph is all it takes to rack up a ticket up here. This is a tax, unfortunately, my insurance uses it to increase profits.
    I live in Oregon (don't know if they have Lidar here) but have a vacation house in WA, so I am driving up there quite often from portland to olympia and then out 101 to hood canal. Sounds like a V1 is not worth the trouble in the NW?

LIDARs are very profitable. The V1 may give you a false sense of security.
    2000 Red over black

Our only hope is keeping off the revenue roads for brisk progress.
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Radar detectors are legal in all states except Virginia, Washington, DC and on military bases. In Canada, only 3 provinces allow their use: Alberta, BC, and Saskatchewan. In states where their use is illegal, police use a device called a Spectre to detect a radar detector in a vehicle. Passive jammers are illegal in Nebraska, Minnesota, Utah, California, Oklahoma, Virginia, Colorado, Illinois and Washington. My understanding is that passive jammers are a hoax and should not be relied on. Active radar jammers are effective at interfering with an officer's ability to get a reading on your car's speed, but they are illegal in the aforementioned states and it is a federal felony to own one. Active laser jammers are also very effective at interfering with police lidar and while they are illegal in those same states, there are no federal laws prohibiting their use.

If it is a federal felony to own one, how do they manufacture and sell to the public?

Once again today, in my daily driver, I passed a state trooper standing with his LIDAR aimed right at me and not a peep from my V1.
    2000 Red over black

I'd suggest getting in touch with Mike Valentine at V1 and ask him directly, as this is something that I'd like dealt with by someone like him. I don't know if there is a way to avoid or even detect LIDAR if it is instant on, but I'm sure he'd have something interesting to say about it.
    Andrew Macpherson

I doubt he will field a call from me, Do you suggest their website?
    2000 Red over black

I always go for the person in charge, it is only a phone call, and it is his business - worth a shot.
    Andrew Macpherson

Your LIDAR performance issue could be software related, as in older software.

Valentine offers an upgrade service. You can check your current software version via their website using your serial number.

http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/
    thegunguy

Thanks Gun, I will check that today, BTW your avatar pic is great. Are your wheels and suspension stock? I can't remember.
    2000 Red over black

Wheels are stock, but suspension is Dinan S3. Andrew took this shot during MITM, and I'm at the bottom of a hill in a right-hand curve. As such, the suspension should be fairly loaded, which is causing the lowered ride-height look.

You know this Macfly guy can take some good photos. He might have a future in photography....
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Your LIDAR performance issue could be software related, as in older software.

Valentine offers an upgrade service. You can check your current software version via their website using your serial number.

http://www.valentine1.com/upgrades/
    Checked both of my V1s both are lacking the POP mode. I will upgrade my daily driver model while using my Z8 unit daily and then upgrade it afterwards.

What a great service BTW.
    2000 Red over black

We went to check out the laser jammers here in Oregon, as they are legal, and the price was $2,000. We decided on the V1, but are wondering where you all place it in the car. The dash doesn't seem large enogh to put a V1 one on. Edy and Erik

where did you look at the jammers?
    2000 Red over black

The laser jammer and other radar detectors are at Oregonsoundchoice.com, 503-367-4943. The address is 730 SE Powell Blvd. Portland Or 97202. Hope this is helpfull to you. Edy and Erik