Thread: 9 Z8's at Supercar Sunday, Oct 2007

Thumbs up 9 Z8's at Supercar Sunday, Oct 2007

What a great day out, new friends and old, great weather, great roads, great company and great cars - can't get better than that! Here are four sets of pix to share a sense of the day out.

Woke up at 5.15am. Fred came down from SF and stayed over, it was nice to have 2 Z8's in the garage once again! We took Mulholland from Laurel Canyon all the way to Havenhurst, then dropped down onto the Ventura Freeway and onto the VCR. As we pull into dark car park there is Havenhurst Kid, with yummy donuts. We get our coffee from Dusty's place and watch both the dawn and the many beautiful cars arrive.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Nine Z8's is a new record for a California gathering, beating the old Crystal Cove and Napa records of seven cars.

Some of the other attendees were fascinating, the blue Cobra is one of only 18 or so real racing Cobra's from the time they were world beating cars, the owner says it is worth a couple of million. Then there was an odd road going formula style car, a stunning Packard that dwarfed the little Lotus beside it. A wedding car from England, and an muscle car with a story, framed no less!

Andrew Macpherson

Yep, nine!

The orange car was entirely built from the ground up by an engineer in the LA area. It is a valiant attempt at a home grown supercar, but I have no idea how good it could be? The blue 8 series is based on the unreleased M8, with all the body panels and parts made especially. The Gullwing speaks for itself, as do the Cobra's. A pair of fancy Fisker's looking very sweet together, and a real McLaren CanAm car put on the road!

I thought that these chrome Alpina wheels really suited the Stratus car well. Those of you who have been around a bit will remember this car from it's days with Francois, it is now in new hands, and being greatly enjoyed!

Andrew Macpherson

Postcards from the road...

The weather was perfect, the first clear day after a week of sooty smoke. We went up to 'Top of the World' for a photo stop, then cruised along the Santa Monica Mountains, over to World Class Motoring, a great new mecca for enthusiasts in the making. After coffee and cake we headed back into the hills for a lovely spin along Mulholland to the coast, and lunch.

(nb: there are more pix of the event over in the Gallery.

Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar

Intereesting history of the Batmobile

This is a car I never expected to see. The Batmobile in Andrew's pictures started out in 1955 as a $250,000 concept Lincoln called the Futura (a name owned by Ford and later relagated to a Falcon with extra chrome). The Futura was built by Ghia for Ford and featured double clean canopies.

The history is given at this website

http://www.1966batmobile.com/background.htm

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    This had to be the most fun I ever had with any car I have ever owned. From our start at the VCR to the amazing mountain roads we got to drive through the beautiful Santa Monica Mountains and finishing with an amazing lunch at the beach, this was truly a great day. Thanks again Andrew for planning such a great route for us to really get to enjoy driving our Z8s!

Z8 Madness
    The entire event was fantastic. Thanks Andrew for organizing.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    The 9 Z8s represented 0.36% of the total number of Z8s existing in North America. If we could get 25 for the Toys for Tots, it would be 1% of the total number

Z8 Novice
    Have to say thanks again Andrew for all your efforts, both yesterday and on this board, totally fun, friendly, informative......... from a newbie Z8 owner. And right down to the spare hat for sun protection! And also for all you others guys that I pestered for info on this, that and the other about the Z8, so that I now know where, when and how to continue to spend my money! Or whats left of it. Hope to see you all soon again.

Sounds like a great time for sure! And 3 red Z8s in one place.... I've never seen that one!

Wow - love the red trio!
    thegunguy

Z8 Novice
    Andrew, thanks for brining the crew in...sorry i could not make it by....had to tend to VCR. 25 Z8s at Motor4toys would be unreal!
    as is, we have 200+ Ferraris so far, the Lambo guys are saying 100+, 400 Vettes, 50 Shebly Cobras....etc. I expect 2500 cars......

Thanks for coming by guys.

D

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Lookit all the reds! And one with the crema interior. There's supposed to be another one in the states somewhere, but so far haven't found him/her/it. Wonder who this one belonged to? Now I feel obliged to get out the leather cleaner!

mShark

Z8 Novice
    Molly

The red/creamy combination has always delighted. Well before the Z8.

Fred
    red/crema

Looks like a great trip, glad the fires are under control!

By the way, if anyone knows of one of those Red w/ crema interiors that wants to sell it, I know of a buyer who wants a Z8, but only in that color combo (yes, Mollyshark, he does have good taste!) -- Just let me know.
    Last edited by Z8doc; November 3rd 2007 at 22:12.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Z8doc, my son would KILL me if I ever mentioned selling. The other day he said "mom...when do you think you'll be too old to drive the Z?"

I mean sheesh! Get me my cane!

Quote Originally Posted by mollyshark View Post
    Lookit all the reds! And one with the crema interior. There's supposed to be another one in the states somewhere, but so far haven't found him/her/it. Wonder who this one belonged to? Now I feel obliged to get out the leather cleaner!

mShark
    We came upon by pure chance, on the way back from Monterey last weekend, a red with crema/black interior. Nice guy, told us where to find the back road we were searching for. If he gets online (as per my recco) we may see him next year at Monterey.