Thread: Headlight Adjustment

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar

Headlight Adjustment

Can the height of Xenon headlights be adjusted?

I drove last week at night and during heavy rain on I-95 and it was absolutely SCARY how not-far the low beam would reach (less than 50 yards), and I had to drive with the high beams on, to the absolute annoyance of other drivers of course. Did some reading on various US and German (non Z-8) forums regarding the manual adjustments that can be made to Xenon lights, and the only reference I found was to a little reel, but that white reel on the Z-8 appears to be for lateral adjustments.

Been there...

I've had this problem many times, usually after servicing. There is a calibration bracket which attaches to the passenger side control arm that regulates the height of the headlight beam. This snaps on/off, and can keep the beams from aiming properly if it has loosened. Its hard to find, but easy to check once you know where it is.
    I was stopped by the Highway Patrol the last time that it happened, as it was the officer who was blinded by my high beams coming against me in traffic. Fortunately, a tour of the car and a seat behind the wheel made him (and me) happy.

Same here Dirk, my right headlight keeps giving the same problem, fortunately easy to adjust (...)

Sport Button On - DSC Off Juergen Wunderlich's Avatar

Here is a picture...

Sometimes the sensor for the automatic headlight levelling (located on a strut on the right front wheel) was incorrectly installed (at a 180? twist) after servicing the Z8 or after the PP installation.

Best Regards,

Jürgen

Thanks J?rgen! - Looks like this is exactly what happened when PP was installed recently. Not sure though why this part had to be removed when installing PP.... At any rate, I will correct the installation, take the car for a spin at dark, and report back to the forum.

It worked! Amazing the amount of light I get now at night, and even more amazing that a technician can make such a blunder. $135 an hour! The way it was installed, the lever was even lower than the skid plate. He (the technician) should have realized that this could not have been the factory's intent.

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    Does anyone know how to adjust the high beam headlights? After some front end repainting, due to stone chips, the high beams on my car were set so they meet on the highway approximately 30 feet in front of the car. The dealer did readjust them but they still don't seem quite right.

John, did you check J?rgen's reply #4 above? It did the trick for me. A 10 minutes fix.

DirkZ8
    I did check J?rgen's reply, but I understand this is for the low-beam self leveling lights, not the high-beams.

You're absolutely right.
    Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by jpklecker View Post
    DirkZ8
    I did check J?rgen's reply, but I understand this is for the low-beam self leveling lights, not the high-beams.

JP I have the same problem (high-lighting) but only 1 headlight (right one); you too ?

RRZ8;

My problem is only with the high-beam headlights--they don't hit the road at the proper distance from the car. My low-beam lights (self-leveling) are set fine and adjust properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jpklecker View Post
    RRZ8;

My problem is only with the high-beam headlights--they don't hit the road at the proper distance from the car. My low-beam lights (self-leveling) are set fine and adjust properly.

OK, misunderstood that....

the right headlight will always cast a ...

Quote Originally Posted by RRZ8 View Post
    JP I have the same problem (high-lighting) but only 1 headlight (right one); you too ?
    higher shadow out from, high or low beam. BMW and other manufacturers purposely offset the left lower / right (passenger) higher so as to minimize the "blinding effect" of the Xenon or Halogen lights to oncoming traffic. Is this what you are referring too?
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Z8 Novice

Headlight adjustment

Having just bought a 2002 Z8 in the States and will be shipping it to the U.K., does anyone know if there's a simple solution to changing the headlight direction for driving on the left? I've seen a few Z8s in the UK so it must be possible! Maybe BMW built in a direction altering switch? Thanks, Ken G.

I honestly don't know the answer, but I'd guess there must have been something like that to sell the car in the UK, but it may be as simple as a bit of triangular black tape on the lights!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Your service advisor should be able to adjust them rather easily for US Spec, and I would imagine would be part of any US "federalization" of any car that originally was originally sold in the UK.

If you can not get an answer, contact Bill Stuart at BMW NA.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    This is most likely done by a mask inside of the headlight unit - you'll probably have to change them. US cars have a pattern more amenable to reversing the side of the road you dirve on, as the rise to the right is truncated.

This is most likely done by a mask inside of the headlight unit
    I would doubt that because of the sealed beam nature of the lights, there is no way in to apply a mask.

Alos Jeff, he is taking the car to the UK, he bought it here, not the other way round.
    Andrew Macpherson

Compared to moving your steering wheel and pedals to the wrong side of the car, adjusting the headlights might prove to be a minor issue.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Ah yes, but the Z8 was never made in a Right drive configuration, which is one reason the Z8 never enjoyed much favorable press in the UK. The headlights I guess still had to be configured to be able to drive the left hand drive car on the right side of the road so I really think the adjustment should be pretty feasible by a qualified Z8 mechanic.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Just what you are looking for, a UK set of headlamps on EBay
    Andrew Macpherson

Sport Button On

Headlight Washer Askew After PP Installation

I just had the PP done and I originally thought that the low beams were too low and it was explained by Dana at Peter Plan that they are low so as not to blind oncoming traffic. However, now I notice that the left front light washer is not seating flush to the front left light as it used to. It actually sticks out 1/4 of an inch higher and is crooked. Does anyone know if the automatic level sensor also affects the seating position of the front light washer after it is turned on and off?

The washer shouldn't be affected by the leveler, it sounds like the headlamp unit might not be aligned in it's seat properly. I'd suggest show George this PDF, and ask him if he can check the way the lamp unit is sitting in it's plastic cradle.
    Andrew Macpherson

Had PP installed awhile back and seldom drive at night. I just recognized that headlight angle is too low (pp install) resulting in 50 ft low beam range. Reviewed this thread and need instruct on adjustment of pass side headlight linkage please?
    Thnx

Should be just flip the clip over.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    As an additional bit of info- what some people around here are doing is adding LED projectors in the grills of their cars- only to be used when necessary without others around- these can be real bright- the point being that the headlights in our cars are now a bit out of date in terms of how much they light up. Its not worth it for me on the Z8 but just something to consider. Heres a link to what it would look like:

http://www.aidesign.com/our-work/rec...ton-martin-dbs