Thread: Paint damage help...

Paint damage help...

I just had some workmen in to fix my garage door, and despite moving my car out of harms way one of them went and lent against it, and badly scuffed up the paint infront of the rear view driver's door mirror.

It is pretty bad, he wore through the clear coat, and there are a couple of hair line scrathes showing the primer below. Is there a really safe way/ great product I can try to 'heal' this because it is not quite bad enough to risk messing with a body shop.

Failing that anyone got a really amazing detail guy in the LA area?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sounds like a quick fix will not be in your future...
    thegunguy

Z8 Madness
    Sorry to hear about this. In my experience, just as windshield repair, the non-traditional repair jobs never return the condition to 100% original look.

I would strongly suggest you get the opinion of a top body shop before letting someone attempt a touch-and-go repair.

Before the job is started, the little guys always promise a perfect outcome. After the job is done, they come up with excuses. At least, this was my experience with a place that came highly recommended when I had my M3 fixed up a few years back. That job was good enough for end of lease return, but I would notice the work every time I looked at the car.

Best of luck.
    62050 - Z8

Team Z8
    I am really sorry to hear about this event Andrew. I cannot begin to say how that would set me off. In any event, I really don't think there is a way around some paintwork. I agree that a consult with a first rate shop is the place to start.
    Try to keep in mind that in the big picture this is just a little bump. My dad has always said that anything short of death is just an inconvienience.
    Be Well, Chris

hey Andrew,

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I just had some workmen in to fix my garage door, and despite moving my car out of harms way one of them went and lent against it, and badly scuffed up the paint infront of the rear view driver's door mirror.

It is pretty bad, he wore through the clear coat, and there are a couple of hair line scrathes showing the primer below. Is there a really safe way/ great product I can try to 'heal' this because it is not quite bad enough to risk messing with a body shop.

Failing that anyone got a really amazing detail guy in the LA area?
    Can you post some high resolution photos of the damage -- I may have some suggestions for you compliments of a detailers handbook that I bought. If you recall, I have some similar issues on the passenger's side hood near the windshield that I inadvertently caused when I was hand waxing my car and did not realize the pad picked up a small rock when the wind blew it off the hood between coats!! I got mine to buff out fairly well. Depending on the depth of the scratch / scratches
    the book has some suggestions.
    Best Regards,

Jeff
    61995 Silver /// Rot - Original Owner
    Z8 Club of Germany e.V. #102

Easy to see with the eye, but quite hard to photograph!

The top pic is the worst area, the central block in the lower pic, the other two areas have similar marks, but they aren't as bad or deep.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    The pictures don't look bad. I think you may be able to avoid the body shop. I find this http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-p...sh-clinic.html a good read with a few pictures to help along.
    62050 - Z8

Ouch!

sorry to hear about that.

As for a recommendation in LA then Avio Coach works (Sepulveda and the 405) 310-841-6503. They do a ton of high end stuff. RR,Bentley,Ferrari,Lambo...

They repaired my z8 when I hooked an exposed stud on a parking kerb with the front spoiler. This involved having to repaint the entire front bumper. I can still remember the sound that it made as i reversed out

Andrew,

I have had good success with the products from Griot's Garage. Link: here

I got a huge clear coat scratch in my hood when waxing by hand (the sponge blew off the car and got a small rock that I did not see!!). I tried lots of different products from Meguires Scratch-X to other on-line purchases and nothing worked. I bought the Machine Polisher from Griot's with the 4 stage Machine polishes and it made a huge difference. I can still notice it, but it is SIGNIFICANTLY less. The clear coat scratch was not to the primer like yours but I could feel it with my finger nail. I worked well enough for me that I decided to not respray my hood.

The Machine Polisher from Griot's is a random orbital and works great. DO NOT simply attach a polishing bonnet to your drill and attempt the same thing as the direct drive devices are more likely to make bigger swirl marks and make things worse.
    Mine worked well enough that I did try the same on some deeper nicks that I first filled with touch up paint then polished as above and it worked great too. The key here is to apply the paint with an ultra-fine paint brush to avoid over application and then the 4 step polishing (Machine polish 1 - coarse, thru Machine 4 - ultra fine) followed by a good waxing.

Sounds like a commercial I know but it really is good stuff but does take time and effort to do it right. When you purchase the polisher and machine polisher, a Detailers book and DVD frequently is thrown in but if not, worth the few bucks extra to see and learn the technique. If you do not have the time, then taking it to where Biffom recommended is your best bet.

Also, were these garage door repairmen bonded? They should be and if so, should be responsible for the damage and the cost to repair it.

Good luck -- let me know if there is anything I can do to help.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Oh yeah, if you do try to apply the touch up paint, use a magnifying lens or magnifying glasses with the ultra fine brush as that is the best way to fill but not over fill the scratch.
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

workmen

Very sorry to hear about this,
    I just had a big dent in mine that some idiot did on purpose ,
    I hope you have buried the workmen in a safe place
    all the best
    Luigi

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Hi Andrew,
    If anyone can get this out by detailing, it would be my guy in Reseda. He has amazed me with what he has been able to do. His name is Randy and he can be reached at 818 881 8410.

Thanks so much, I'll call him in the am.
    Andrew Macpherson

Thumbs up All I can say is WOW!!!

The scratches are all but melted away, even with my picky eye they have been polished almost completely away, certainly enough for me to be able to live with them, but that is only half the story!

Randy takes car preparation and presentation to another level. I never thought I'd pay $500 to detail a car, but I also never realized how insane the finish you get from such a passionate perfectionist is. He also opened my eyes to a world of car preparation I didn't realize existed. Guys who get flown around the country to prepare cars for shows like Pebble Beach and other great shows. The product he uses is also a brand new, rather hush-hush, epoxy base super finish that has a stated 5 year finish! Even if it is only a year I'm good with it, I've never seen my reflection in my silver hood look like I'm looking in a mirror before, and I've used all the best stuff you can buy myself.

If you are as much of a clean car nut as I am this really is $500 well spent - and if you have a black Z8 this will blow your mind - the way his product looks on black paint is simply liquid - I've never seen anything that looks this good ever!

If you are interested I suggest you call Randy too, you won't be disappointed! 818 881 8410.
    Andrew Macpherson

Pictures please!!! some of the damaged area from the same angle and light would really show us the difference!

GREAT - Glad it worked out for you!!
    Best Regards,

Jeff

Glad you are pleased Andrew. Randy has been my detail guy for 24 years and like wine, he also gets better with time. My silver Z8, when he first put the new stuff on three weeks ago, shined better than I ever though a silver car could. My black Ford F150 looks like a black pond of water that you could dive into. People come up to me all the time and ask how I get a finish like that on a black vehicle. It isn't cheap, but I know for a fact that his materials cost, not counting labor, is over $100 a car. Enjoy and I am glad the scratches came out.

Wow, I bet he's booked, but I wonder if we could get him to freshen the cars before Pebble next year?
    thegunguy

If you want to get your car done, you can usually get in with one weeks notice. I spoke with Randy about going to Monterey next year and doing some cars. He normally does not travel and said to even consider it, he would have to have his travel expenses covered as well as charging more per car. I urge any Z8 owners in the Los Angeles area to check out this product, especially if your car is black. The results are nothing short of mind boggling. When you wash your car after this product has been applied, bugs, dirt, and brake dust literally fall off of the car, no scrubbing necessary. Truly remarkable.

I have a Silver Alpina and a Black A8L. My original plan was to get a Black Alpina but I know from previous experience how hard it is to keep black looking good over the years and my young kids plan on having the Alpina when they get older! Since I live on the east coast and cannot use Randy to detail my cars do you know the name of the product that he uses? My Alpina looks good but I am always open to having it look better. The Audi however after only 18 months could use a little help. I knew better then to get a black car, but there is still nothing like a freshly detailed black car! At least for a couple of hours after you pick it up.

I am not sure Randy will sell the product on its own, but if he does, also get the proper instructions on how to have it applied. Mention you saw this on the Z8 forum and that Marty said to call. It's worth a try. If done properly, your Z8 will amaze you and the Audi will flat out blow you away. His number again is 818 881 8410.

P.S. This product is not nor ever will be available on the open market. He has an exclusive distribution agreement with the guy who manufactures it, and has no intention of bringing it to a mass market. I have seen the jar it comes in. There is no name on it on purpose and is about the size of a can of regular wax. It is a cream colored liquid and I know Randy pays over $400 for each unit and can maybe get four cars out of it.

Thanks, I will give him a call. I purchased both cars on the same day in March of 06, and I hand wash and polish them. I cannot begin to tell you how much better the Silver paint holds up compared to the Black. I love black cars, but they are very difficult to keep over any period of time.

Before my first Z8 I had a black on black MB560SL - it was sooo pretty when it was clean, which was all of about ten minutes after I finished a day cleaning it! It looked filthy after just a couple of scenic country road drives on sunny days - madness!! I swore I'd never buy another black car after that!
    Andrew Macpherson

I swore off of black after my first black car. Unfortunately driving on the highway the Sunday before I was picking up my Audi I saw a brand new sparkling clean A8L on the road and was tempted into changing my mind. After waiting 8 weeks for the car to get delivered I figured there was no way that there would be an available Black/Beige car on the ship that came in that weekend. I asked the dealer and he said they had the exact same car on the ship in Black/Beige and that I could have it. Mistake completed. Be careful what you ask for, you may get it!

Sport Button On - DSC Off Lupin's Avatar

detail

Does anybody knows someone that good in the Miami area???
    thamks
    Luigi
    Black and red