Thread: Crash Test Z8; was it ever done ?

Crash Test Z8; was it ever done ?

Reading the crash test reports at euroncap.com (the European Car Safety Institute) I was wondering if the Z8 was ever tested at crash safety, and if so; what were the results ?
    I understand that (in may countries) every car produced (??) should undergo a 'simple' crash test before it is allowed to be sold ?
    After reading about the E60 series (...) and the knowledge that our car is made out of aluminum I am starting to wonder .....

Does anyone know something about this issue ?

Good question, for sure the car was crash tested here in the USA by the DOT, so the results will be in the public domain, but I am not sure how to access those records.

Prehaps J?rgen would know how to access the info on the TUV tests that would have been done in the EU, I would think that they too are in the public domain.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I just searched IIHS.org and nhtsa.gov and neither show test results. Not sure how far their online records go though.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Good question, for sure the car was crash tested here in the USA by the DOT, so the results will be in the public domain, but I am not sure how to access those records.

Prehaps J?rgen would know how to access the info on the TUV tests that would have been done in the EU, I would think that they too are in the public domain.

I checked with J?rgen last week; he has no information regarding crash tests........ An intensive scan on the Internet also showed up with no results...... It must have been done, but where are the data ?

There were crash-tests made, of course. I have detailed material incl. pictures, the development of the Z8 as "der sicherste Sportwagen weltweit" at that time was state of the art, regardless that the BMW-internal regulations were developing further.

I regret the material (pdf) is in German language only. I will mail it to Andrew for upload.

The full PDF is here, and below is a screen grab of the part that shows how the crash-crush/crumple was designed. It is amazing how big solid bits of aluminum crumple just like kitchen foil!

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Novice
    From what little I know, (My company provides most of the crash test sensors for the automotive industry). I do know BMW did testing as the article indicates and they do it on every car no matter the regulations but neither the US Insurance Instistute for safety or NHTSA did any tests on the Z8. The DOT does not do crash testing. Several models of cars never get government crash tested based on several factors such as type, class and volume sales. That does not mean that they do not have the required safety features. Rob

The DOT does not do crash testing.
    That's my British side coming out - in the UK there was only one Government body responsible for every aspect of motoring, from driving licenses to crash testing and safety - the DOT.

I keep forgetting the fragmentation and complications built into the US systems of checks and balances, the depth of which I'm sure would entertain Franz Kafka! I was conveniently forgetting how it took four different agencies almost two full years to get my first EU Z8 finally registered in CA - I had to live on AZ plates for those first years!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by bummsbass View Post
    There were crash-tests made, of course. I have detailed material incl. pictures, the development of the Z8 as "der sicherste Sportwagen weltweit" at that time was state of the art, regardless that the BMW-internal regulations were developing further.

I regret the material (pdf) is in German language only. I will mail it to Andrew for upload.

Great ! Thank you Bummsbass !

Z8Mania
    Any general translation?

Very interesting article !

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Any general translation?
    ... should be available:

ATZ Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift 102 (2000) 6

You can read the English version
    of this article in ATZ worldwide.

Subscription Hotline:++49 / 6 11 / 78 78 151
    May be, one of our friends in Germany goes for that.

I tried to find it the other day when I saw that quote at the end of the article but was unsuccessful in locating anything at all in English on sites related to ATZ Worldwide.

Google is saying:

ATZ Automobiltechnische Zeitschrift Mediainformation 2007 (pdf)

Publisher:

Vieweg Verlag | GWV Fachverlage GmbH,
    Abraham-Lincoln-Str. 46, D-65189 Wiesbaden
    phone: +49(0)611.7878?386
    P. O. Box 1546, D-65173 Wiesbaden
    Internet: www.gwv-fachverlage.de
    www.gwv-media.de

Link: www.all4engineers.de