Thread: Telephone Upgrade

Sport Button On

Telephone Upgrade

AT&T notified me that they will no longer support service for my analog car phone. BMW has an upgrade kit for their 745 Series; but has none for the Z-8.

Have any of you encountered this issue? Are there any solutions out there?

I Squared

Sport Button On

Telephone Upgrade

AT&T notified me that they will no longer support analog cell phone service. I have a 2002 Z8 with an anolog phone.

My daeler has conversion kits for their 7Series cars; but none for the Z8.

Is anyone facing this problem? Do you know of alternatives?

I Squared

Sport Button On - DSC Off FWK-Z8's Avatar
    There are two phone systems available for the Z8 - TDMA and CDMA. TDMA is being discontinued. You probably have a TDMA phone (look in the bettery well of the phone). See if your deler will trade you for a CDMA

Sport Button On - DSC Off mollyshark's Avatar
    Sure. Take it out, install a nice MP3 hookup there instead, and get a regular cell phone! Is this helpful?

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Strange that you got an analog phone with a 2002 Z8. I received a Motorola StarTac CDMA (digital) phone with my 2001 Z8 in early 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by I Squared View Post
    AT&T notified me that they will no longer support analog cell phone service. I have a 2002 Z8 with an anolog phone.

My daeler has conversion kits for their 7Series cars; but none for the Z8.

Is anyone facing this problem? Do you know of alternatives?

I Squared

What is the make and model of your phone Ivan ?

Can the existing plug be used with other phones? I have a Palm Treo 700 and would like to use it in the car (hands free is law in California). Or, can the existing plug be used for an iPod?

Scott

Sorry - no on both counts.

Unfortunately, the cradle will only work with the original Motorola phone (potentially other Motorola models), but they are pretty much banned from the current US cell network. Same with the iPod - the plug is specific to the phone.

For handsfree phone usage you can follow the Bluetooth retrofit outlined here in the forums.
    http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?t=592
    You may also want to PM Z8Doc on this. He's pretty pleased with his. You can also go with numerous aftermarket headunits that support Bluetooth.

For the iPod, most of us have used the various Dension products with equally varied levels of success (several posts in the Stereo forums). I used the iceLink for a few years, but its functionality is a bit basic. Plus, it ended up killing my iPod. Like bluetooth, there are many options that support direct iPod control. Once I get settled a bit more, I'll finally (no comments from Andrew!) post my review on the Alpine I installed prior to Monterey. It's a champ at working with the iPod.
    thegunguy

Thanks for the reply.

The BT headphones.... well, no comment. In my Z3 I had an Alpine HU installed with the BT adaptor and a USB hard wire for the iPod. I love both features as the iPod is displayed in the HU display and the BT makes my phone handsfree.

For the Z8, I'd prefer to keep things stock so I may just rely on the radio for my tunes and have a Parrott hands free kit installed. I have one in my Escalade and a VW Beetle Convertible and they work great.

Here is a link:

http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/h...s/3200ls-color