Thread: Z8 Day @ Nowack

Z8 Day @ Nowack

Yesterday, a group of Club members met at the tuning company Nowack to gather detailed information regarding the Z8 engine and related questions, including modifications.

To make a long story short, I think that this was an extremely successful day. All participants - including myself - were absolutely excited. Everybody was able to grasp a wealth of technical information.

We had 7 Z8 plus one Alpina there. All cars went through a Dyno run during the day. Almost all Z8s showed a performance between 394 and 407 hp as the sum of wheel power and losses. Looks like a good result to me.
    Also, the Alpina showed good performance.

Of course, we started off chatting.

First we received an introduction into the topic of Dyno runs. This included a test run of my modified Z8. Oliver Nowack explained the various types of dynos and talked about the comparability of dyno results as well as about using the dyno for fine tuning purposes.

After this, we got together right next to the work benches, and we received an unbelievable amount of information regarding the S62. A couple of topics we discussed: design principles, special details, differences between the M5E39 and the Z8 regarding engine and motor management, design and principle of VANOS including related problems, questions around motor oil and much much more.

Oliver Nowack illustrated his points using all major parts of the S62 right there. He had prepared those parts in stock condition as well as in modified condition.

Starting with a new engine block over cylinder heads, intakes with flaps, camshafts etc etc etc, continuing with motor management components, air mass meters, cam sensors, everything could be examined and explained in detail.

A firework of technical details and facts underlined the fact that Nowack without any doubt knows the engine inside out.

An important topic was the discussion around the reserves of the engine regarding modifications, and of course all modifications in detail. He demonstrated how a valve seat is cut using the appropriate work bench, of course on an S62 cylinder head...

For the techies the next hot topic was camshafts. It was more then impressive to see on a computer screen the profiles of all major Z8 cams as overlays, starting with the stock cam, then 2 Schrick cams, cams of other tuners, and finally the Nowack cams. Here again he demonstrated massive knowledge.

A flowmeter was used to demonstrate measuring methods to finetune flow amounts, for example after intake mods.

Several modification options were presented for the following areas:
    - engine mods in 6 levels
    - differential
    - reinforced clutch
    - brakes
    - speedometer, rev counter
    - short shifter
    - exhaust systems

The final highlight was the fact that everybody had a chance to drive in one of the modified Z8s, which made the differences to the stock engine very clear.

Summary:
    Everybody needs to decide for himself if and what he wants to modify on his Z8. However, this day demonstrated that there is a company that has collected a very impressive knowledge regarding the Z8, and that is not a "plastics" tuner.
    Not really surprising with Nowack being a Z8 fanatic himself.
    Best regards, Dieter

Z8 Novice
    Looks like you had a great day in gray Germany. Thanks for sharing. I just can't forget Apples experience several years ago with his Nowaked M5, but things might have progressed since then.

What were the differences between stock and nowacked Z8s?

CW

I don't know all details, but to me it looks like there were one or two strange cases in all those years, and they get quoted over and over again.

Anyway, in my case Nowack modified the engine in a lot of ways. The performance has been measured in several dyno runs between 525 and 540 hp at crank.
    I have driven with modifications from Nowack for over 20,000 miles now.
    Best regards, Dieter

Have any of your engines in the EU had any of the carbon build up problems that our motors have been having in M5's over here, and if so how have the tuning houses like Nowack been able to solve them?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Have any of your engines in the EU had any of the carbon build up problems that our motors have been having in M5's over here, and if so how have the tuning houses like Nowack been able to solve them?
    Andrew,
    you may know that this was a "US-only" issue, apparently non-US S62s did not have that problem.
    Best regards, Dieter

Yes indeed, I do remember that now you mention it - I will check with BMW NA once more and see how they are doing with solving the problem on the M5's, as many of those are now in the 100,000 mile range.

Thanks for sharing you pics from the weekend.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by dwz8 View Post
    I don't know all details, but to me it looks like there were one or two strange cases in all those years, and they get quoted over and over again.

Anyway, in my case Nowack modified the engine in a lot of ways. The performance has been measured in several dyno runs between 525 and 540 hp at crank.
    I have driven with modifications from Nowack for over 20,000 miles now.
    Excellent, I am happy for you. And you are absolutely right...the bad stories keep circulating.

Enjoy
    CW

Dieter, thanks for sharing. After sampling the power and refinement of your engine, I am total believer in the capabilities of Nowack.

On carbon, the shop I use for maintenance has recently started using a system that is designed to monitor and minimize build-up. I don't know much about the system or the procedure, but it involves running the engine some concetrated solvents under controled conditions for about thirty minutes. When done every 12k to 15k milse, it is supposed to keep carbon in check, but it is purely a preventative messure, not a cure.

According to the shop owner, they have had good results on several customers' S62s in M5s.
    thegunguy

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    Dieter,

understand from another participant that the dyno even showed big differences in HP output between the OEM Z8's. what would have been the cause of such?

regards
    Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by Z8-NL View Post
    Dieter,

understand from another participant that the dyno even showed big differences in HP output between the OEM Z8's. what would have been the cause of such?

regards
    Klaus
    Hi Klaus,
    only one Z8 was measured with low performance, around 364 hp if I remember correctly. That was a car with well over 100.000 kms on it. Typically, I would start looking for the mass air flow meters (MAF), air filters, lambda values.
    The MAFs go bad over time, and they need to be checked and replaced every now and then. I would probably replace them each 50.000 km. They have a big influence on engine performance.

Did Thierry recover from the day?
    He was very excited...
    Best regards, Dieter

Quote Originally Posted by dwz8 View Post
    Hi Klaus,
    only one Z8 was measured with low performance, around 364 hp if I remember correctly. That was a car with well over 100.000 kms on it. Typically, I would start looking for the mass air flow meters (MAF), air filters, lambda values.
    The MAFs go bad over time, and they need to be checked and replaced every now and then. I would probably replace them each 50.000 km. They have a big influence on engine performance.

Did Thierry recover from the day?
    He was very excited...

Dieter, I think Klaus is referring to my Dyno test; 412 HP OEM

Thierry (and I...) were indeed very excited, we had a wonderful day with all you guys. As said before, will not forget the ride in your Z8 ( ) And Oliver has been a great host ! He will just keep on talking about technical stuff ! We could stay up all night and he would still be giving us lectures about 'nockenwellen (?) /drosselklappen (?) tuning ports and valves etc.