Thread: car advice II

car advice II

My previous question about trading the Z8 for the SL65 black series was met with unanimous "nays" by not only the board but my entire family!!

I got it and honestly don't know whether I would have been able to go through with it in the end anyway. However, I did appreciate the advice and reasoning of many who posted and so wanted to ask the part B to the question. (Andrew, if I am straying too far from intended Z8 content, feel free to delete!)

The Z8 remains safe and happily removed from the equation. The SL55 which I pictured and described, has become such a pleasure that it has quickly risen up the list of perfect all around cars.
    I do still love the Black series body mods. To some a bit boy racer I am sure but I still love the wild over the top nature of the design. So after settling into the decision to stand pat, this car pictured came up for sale. I am not normally drawn to kits but this owner has been so thorough and attended to all the details so well I am very interested. It allows the top down aspect and still offers the looks of the black series.
    All the SL65 mechanicals are present along with Renntech tune, lowering module (fully adjustable from the cockpit) but no internal engine work.
    Having the BS look with top down function and still have the super smooth tt 12cyl seems the best of both worlds.
    My wife says its a fake car but its not really, its still a $195k super car just wearing different clothes.

Thanks for any opinions. John

Sport Button On
    Gorgeous car that will likely not have the long-term collector value of a true Black Series. The concern voiced on the last post was a sharply falling price and I would think that would be the case on this as well. Historically the SL65 has not held its value very well.
    Very nice car but I would go full bore Black Series if I were you - or stick with the great SL you have already purchased.

I should have explained a bit more, this car will have only its unique nature as a selling point, no collector value at all BUT priced accordingly. To trade from my current 55 to this 65 will likely only cost me
    $10-12k only.

For many years prior to buying my Z8, I lusted after the 427 Cobra. Unfortunately, the pricing of a real one always ran a bit ahead of my budget. I seriously considered purchasing an aluminum-bodied replica, either the Autokraft AC MK IV (made using the original AC body bucks) or the Kirkham cobra (generally considered to be as close to the original as possible, Kirkham became the supplier of aluminum-bodied rollers to Shelby for his continuation cars). Ultimately, I couldn't get past the fact that the cars weren't "real", and I knew I wouldn't enjoy explaining to strangers what the car in fact was, no matter how accurate a reproduction. I enjoy the fact that there are no excuses needed with the Z8.

I'd say take it for a drive if you can, and see which you prefer behind the wheel. I'm expecting a massive market correction this year, it's just a hunch, but if I'm correct it'll wallop property and cars, along with most every other asset class, so when it comes to cars I'd suggest not to focus on the investment/return, but the pleasure it gives you as a driver, because if I'm right about the market, the one you really love to drive is the one you'll want to hold on to.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'm expecting a massive market correction this year, it's just a hunch, but if I'm correct it'll wallop property and cars, along with most every other asset class, so when it comes to cars I'd suggest not to focus on the investment/return...
    What are you seeing in your financial crystal ball for 2015 Andrew? A return of higher interest rates changing behaviors? A strong dollar reversing foreign investments in the US?

On the BS-look SL, I test drove a SL65 AMG years ago and was blown away (literally) by the torque off the line. A V12 car is on my bucket list, and with that said if everything else checks out, why not.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Honestly it's not that I, or anyone else, has a real crystal ball, it's just the more I look and learn about the interwoven central bank controlled fiat currency systems around the world the more I realize it's all an illusion. Money created out of thin air, ostensibly as debt at a time when we as a global economy are drowning in a sea of debt. I really don't see how can interest rates rise when the US is at 100% debt-GDP ratio, and Japan at an unprecedented 200% debt-GDP ratio, and much of Europe is in as bad a shape.

It really feels like all this financial engineering has gone mad, everything everywhere is on an exponential growth cycle, except real employment, and real wages for real people. Here in the US we're at a true 25% unemployment, hidden behind walls of ridiculous statistics, propaganda and lies.

How long can this madness continue? I can't say, but I can say it's truly an impossibility for it to keep on keeping on.

These sites make good reading -

http://www.peakprosperity.com

http://shadowstats.com

and as a daily read, I like this very alternative take on the economy....

http://www.zerohedge.com
    Andrew Macpherson

This article from Fortune magazine sums it up very nicely:
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecol...bubble-bursts/

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'd say take it for a drive if you can, and see which you prefer behind the wheel. I'm expecting a massive market correction this year, it's just a hunch, but if I'm correct it'll wallop property and cars, along with most every other asset class, so when it comes to cars I'd suggest not to focus on the investment/return, but the pleasure it gives you as a driver, because if I'm right about the market, the one you really love to drive is the one you'll want to hold on to.
    Sound advice. I am planning on having a ppi on it and also flying down to drive it. I do love 12cyl cars so looking forward to testing it out. I have heard a few people predict this correction and the idea that it may be long lasting. What do you think is a safe hedge if you are correct??

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    What are you seeing in your financial crystal ball for 2015 Andrew? A return of higher interest rates changing behaviors? A strong dollar reversing foreign investments in the US?

On the BS-look SL, I test drove a SL65 AMG years ago and was blown away (literally) by the torque off the line. A V12 car is on my bucket list, and with that said if everything else checks out, why not.
    Thats where I have come to in my thinking, why not!

thanks Andrew et al, for helping me think through this and for the advice. Very helpful, John

DSC Off
    Andrew, maybe your predictions explains all the Z8s popping up for sale ? Get it while you can? Or is it spring sales?

It's convertible season for sure, after taxes and before summer!
    Andrew Macpherson