Thread: Car advice

Car advice

Hi all, I am having some thoughts about cars and could use some advice from Z8 owners.
    I have a sub 19k mile, late 02 model with all the handling and performance add ons to help enhance the "drivers" set up for the car w/ Dinan, Quaife, Eisenmann, Brembo and HRE. I have documents from new and service has always been consistent and complete as well as all the oem goodies, book, hardtop w/stand, covers etc. No accidents or paint, early application of the performance strut package.

I have always lusted after the very limited edition 09 SL65 MB. My question is, would you trade my Z8 for a low miles, no stories SL65, straight up?

I know maintenance costs are higher for the 12cyl twin turbo car, and I would be trading the open road feel(I do have another convertible in the garage) for the thrill of a boosted 12cyl. I love the looks and feel of both cars, just looking for some friendly advice, thanks.

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by riverflyer View Post
    My question is, would you trade my Z8 for a low miles, no stories SL65, straight up?
    No, no, no, never. You'd be be trading your timeless roadster for a disposable asset

Quote Originally Posted by riverflyer View Post
    I know maintenance costs are higher for the 12cyl twin turbo car, and I would be trading the open road feel(I do have another convertible in the garage) for the thrill of a boosted 12cyl.
    Rent one for a few days and get it out of your system.
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

I'm with Dirk, you'd be trading an appreciating asset for one on a very, very steeply depreciating slope.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Ben...US_Cars_Trucks

here is a link with some pics (this is not the car in question, just an easy example with pics)

- - - Updated - - -

Ha, exactly what my wife said!

Rent one for a few days and get it out of your system.[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'm with Dirk, you'd be trading an appreciating asset for one on a very, very steeply depreciating slope.
    I have been following them (SL 65 black series) for several years and it seems they have been pretty steady over the last couple of years. $160 to $240, with most being around $180.
    I know the SL65 has been tumbling but black series not so from my watch. They only made 175 of them in total.

I know the car for which you sent the link is not the car you are looking at, but is it significant that the Ebay car has already gone through 3 owners? Could it say something about the overall satisfaction level of driving a high-tech, paddle-shifted car that you cannot utilize the unique capability (dazzling acceleration) on public roads? On the other hand I must say it is an awesome looking beast, and if you are growing tired of your Z8 (heresy!) perhaps it is an itch you need to scratch. Any way you can swing holding onto the Z8 along with the SL on the assumption that both cars will hold their value, and sell one or the other in a year or so when you decide which you like better?

Bill

Bill, good idea. I have been trying to sort out the best direction to take. I guess as long as I do nothing the Z8 stays home and the SL65 stays at the dealers. No harm, no foul. Dirk, if I knew where I could rent one, I would take that advice, any ideas?

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I would strongly support what has been stated here so far. You have happened upon (or maybe you had the foresight - for me it was blind luck) on one of the few cars from the 90s/00s that is a real investment. I certainly cannot question your interest in driving an SL, they are very nice. But I would only do it as an addition to the Z8 - not as a replacement. I am currently looking for a 599, and am thinking the exact same thing... and I am fully prepared to see the 599 drop by 20-30% over the next few years. I would NEVER trade in the Z8 for it though.

Sport Button On
    Riverflyer - I disagree that the SL65 Black is going to take a steep drop in value. This is the very limited run vehicle with supercar performance. There may be a longer cycle on it but I believe that these are going to hold their value and may appreciate. The Z8 has been appreciating very nicely but there is not guarantee that this continues. As far as an investment goes, based on current value I think that there may even be more upside in the M-B if you are willing to hold onto it for 5-10 years.
    Obviously the cars are very different. I think that the Z8 is a better cruiser around town while the SL65 will be a beast that you will want to find open roads or track use for. Both should be decent investments with modest miles added to the odometer.
    If it is what floats your boat, I don't think you should feel fine about pulling the trigger.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    The issue I find (although certainly conjecture as only time will tell) is that the majors have put out too many of these 'special edition' cars. Yes there are only a couple of hundred, but they exist in a sea of 10s of thousands of vehicles, which prevents them from really getting into collector's hearts.

I agree that the depreciation on these cars will not be as great as, say, a regular SL. But I think people who invest want something that is truly unique - Ford GT, Ferrari 550 Barchetta, Countach, etc. The SL Black edition, in my opinion, will at best track the 'regular' Ferraris. So I would compare it to the price curve of a 458 or 599, vs to what has/will occur to more unique cars.

Personally, I would look at a MB SLS AMG coupe instead. I still don't think they will do as well as the Z8s short term, but the potential is there since they are at the top of the MB stable, and more unique. Plus, they have many similarities to the Z8 in being a vehicle that is a re-imagination of something legendary.

Money is cheap. By the SL65 and keep the Z8. Make the decision which to sell this time next year. If the SL has fallen much then maybe you sell it and have it out of your system. If instead you have found that when you drive the Z8 you wish for the SL then sell the Z8. I used to go through these trials and often sold a car I wished later I had kept. You won't know how much the car actually cost until you sell it so just add the SL, enjoy it and make your decision on what to sell later.
    Robert C. - BMW Enthusiast
    03- Alpina Z8 62141 #243/555

Thank you everyone who took the time of offer their advice. MB are new to me, the last one I had I did not like and quickly sold it. HOwever, have long entertained the idea of the SL hardtop convertible and encouraged by Mac's enthusiasm for them, I picked one up a couple of days ago. Just got delivered on thursday and we put the top down and took a 200 mile cruise through the backroads of Sonoma wine country. Glorious drive and glorious car. It has the factory 030 performance package ($16k handling options) and the designo interior. Not an SL but a very sweet car.
    Comfortable, fast, wonderful ride. We love it, just what I was looking for, a nice two seater that does not beat me up and I can throw the miles on. True, I could do that with the Z8 but being that it just nosed over 18k I am feeling like I just want to do the occasional coastal drive and leave it as a special car.
    I am going to live with this car for a while and decide whether the SL65 compliments the rest or not. I do have a TT 12cyl rocket for that particular speed itch but thats another story.
    thanks again, will post up any action.

Sport Button On - DSC Off Kevin's Avatar
    Nice!!!! congrats, I'm sure you'll love the car. Also P30 option is super rare, got yourself a great car.
    2003 Z8 Silver/Black AH62031 (Sold)

I love my SL55, it's a real gem, bravo, you got a good one, and the prettiest body style too, the new ones are really rather ugly.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by danfitz View Post
    Riverflyer - I disagree that the SL65 Black is going to take a steep drop in value. This is the very limited run vehicle with supercar performance. There may be a longer cycle on it but I believe that these are going to hold their value and may appreciate. The Z8 has been appreciating very nicely but there is not guarantee that this continues. As far as an investment goes, based on current value I think that there may even be more upside in the M-B if you are willing to hold onto it for 5-10 years.
    Obviously the cars are very different. I think that the Z8 is a better cruiser around town while the SL65 will be a beast that you will want to find open roads or track use for. Both should be decent investments with modest miles added to the odometer.
    If it is what floats your boat, I don't think you should feel fine about pulling the trigger.
    Dan, I agree that both cars will likely appreciate. Since the SL is 6 years newer it might be a few years out, but with only 175 units and the unique nature of it, I have to think it will be a good investment vehicle.

Kevin and Andrew, thanks for the comments, and I agree!
    I bought the car on the advice of the former owner who I reached out to on MB forum. He had just sold it to the dealer as he was moving out of the country.
    He assured me of condition and I was also able to pm with the previous owner. I bought it sight unseen and could not be happier with the condition. Its like a new car, especially the paint. At 21k its been regularly used but has lots of miles in waiting.

That is an absolutely stunning example and such great color too, bravo. I did my longest day in the saddle in mine yesterday, and all I can say is its the best long distance mile eater ever!

Andrew Macpherson

That is impressive, and the mgp as well. I have put 500 miles on mine since delivery on Thursday and all a pleasure and mostly with the top down.

Sport Button On
    My wife drives a 2011 SL550 Night Edition (matte black) - it is perfect for her - beautiful car, easy to drive, comfortable, and smooth. I have always wanted to drive one of the AMG because I do not love the way that hers handles. The car self levels which just doesn't feel natural on a sweeper or tighter low speed corner.
    She barely drives it so I have a feeling it will be with us for a long time.