Thread: 2001 Z8 (#60508) sale withdrawn, owner keeping car

2001 Z8 (#60508) sale withdrawn, owner keeping car

I am in the process of moving back to the US and decided it makes too much sense to leave my Z8 here. I went to a lot of trouble and expense to get this car registered in Zurich with all the upgrades that have been done to the car. If I bring it back to the US, it is all for naught. In addition, I am planning on doing some more major upgrades and it makes sense to start again with a stock car. Here are the upgrades that are homologated on the Swiss Registration:

Dinan S2 engine package:
    Lightweight flywheel
    Hi flow air filter and carbon filter box cover
    Hi flow MAF sensor
    Enlarged throttle bodies
    Ceramic coated headers
    Together good for 461HP

Suspension:
    K&W Competition three way adjustable monotube dampers, adjustable monoball mounts
    http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/bmw-z8-cha...n-z8-2497.html

Wheels:
    BBS Forged Individual
    http://www.bmwz8.us/forum/tires-whee...dual-2397.html

Battery:
    Lithium Ion

Differential:
    Quaife Limited Slip Differential
    3.64:1 final drive

In addition, I have Dinan branded Brembo brakes and Meisterschaft titanium exhaust, but these are not homologated in Switzerland. Getting the certificate for the brakes would cost around 3k CHF. The exhaust will never pass the Swiss tests, but adds another 10hp and oh the sound!

The car itself is in truly excellent, nearly like new condition. 8k miles. I have attended to all the idiosyncrasies that the Z8 exhibits except for some mild bubbling of the dash leather and the radio popping (I don't use the radio). The headlights, MAF sensors, and cam sensors have been replaced. The convertible top strings have been repaired. The performance package has been installed (no warpage). Various glue failure points repaired. Regular fluid changes during my ownership (since 2009 and 5k miles). Confirmed with BMW NA that the car was a creampuff with all maintenance prior to then. The car was manufactured in Dec 2000 and has the important addition of the pressure valve on the VANOS. Also, the Dinan kit was installed in 2007 and there was no modification of the frame in the process. I have a clean Carfax for the car during the time it was in the US.

I can be contacted at +41 79 207 3604

thanks and regards, John
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    Dinan by Brembo brake kit and monoball control arm bushings
    BBS forged individual wheels
    Quaife differential, 3.64:1 final drive
    Meisterschaft GT titanium mufflers
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Z8Mania
    Such a well sorted and beautiful car, is there any chance you'll be going back to Switzerland?

Just out of curiosity, what would it cost to bring this car to the US?

Which coast are you returning to, and will we get to see you out on any of our drives?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    is there any chance you'll be going back to Switzerland?

Just out of curiosity, what would it cost to bring this car to the US?
    I'm not likely to return, but you never know. It's a nice place to live, but the school system is a little "unique". I don't want to subject my 10 year old daughter to certain aspects of it. She's too young to start stressing about her career.

It would only cost a couple thousand to bring it back.
    Silver/black
    Dinan S2 package: headers, throttle bodies, oversized MAFs, airfilters, anti-roll bars, lightweight flywheel
    K&W 3 way adjustable competition monotube dampers and monoball adjustable mounts
    CDV delete

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Which coast are you returning to, and will we get to see you out on any of our drives?
    That's a long story Andrew . My wife agreed to my choice of country (US), but she is picking the city. Looks like Naples, FL is going to be the place. God I hate humidity. I really tried doing a sales job on California, but in the end the earthquakes killed it .

Is there a Florida contingent here? I saw a black Z8 on St Armand's Circle in Sarasota while I was there.
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

There's a lot of Z8's in Florida, but all the great roads are in Cali!
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMates View Post
    ... Looks like Naples, FL is going to be the place. God I hate humidity...
    Is there a Florida contingent here? I saw a black Z8 on St Armand's Circle in Sarasota while I was there.
    Stay in Naples for a while before making that final decision. You may regret it.
    Many Z8's in Florida but we never get together, because WE HAVE NOWHERE TO GO !
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8Mania
    I love Naples, but thats just as a visitor. Things are often very different as a visitor/ vacationer than when you live there. Either way its an exciting time for you so I wish you only good things on your move. I think protecting your daughter is the right priority.

Did you sell your car yet?
    Andrew Macpherson

Hi Andrew,

I haven't sold it yet. Now that it is spring I need to advertise it here. To be honest, I am really torn about selling it since it is a great example and I am emotionally attached. However, I went to great pains and expense to get it homologated in Switzerland with all the performance upgrades. It just makes too much sense to leave it here and start from scratch with a new stock example when I get back to the US. Asking price is 180,000CHF.

A request for you, Andrew: would you change the title of the thread to for sale in Switzerland rather than the EU?

thanks, John
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Team Z8
    Any interest in selling your not yet installed exhaust system ? Is it the "Z8 Forum" edition that was made a little extra loud? I'd like to step up from my Einesmann (sp?) race exhaust and that seems to be the only direction to go in. Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ron's rocket View Post
    Any interest in selling your not yet installed exhaust system ? Is it the "Z8 Forum" edition that was made a little extra loud? I'd like to step up from my Einesmann (sp?) race exhaust and that seems to be the only direction to go in. Ron
    Ron - if you end up doing this, I would like to get first dibbs on you Eiseman (sp?) exhaust.
    Skip Hammerman

2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

Hi Ron,

I'm going to keep the exhaust for my next Z8.

John
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

Just checking if this car is still on the market, or if it sold.
    Andrew Macpherson

Hi Andrew: not sold, but at this point I think I'll keep it. I am panicked, though, at the thought of going through another homologation exercise: this time in Portugal.

I had the car advertised on Autoscout.ch for 4 months at a very reasonable price relative to other Z8s and only got one call: from an Italian running a money laundering operation. I also noticed that the same cars have been for sale for months and in some cases years without moving. Is the bubble about to burst?
    Silver/black
    CDV delete

The bubble I see bursting is far bigger than just a Z8 one!

Cars are currently selling over here for sure, I've sold four already this year and we're only just entering 'convertible season'.
    Andrew Macpherson

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Since last summer the market in Holland is running smooth: sometimes cars are sold within a month. I think you narrowed your market within the EU because of the all your modifications: an original car with all the papers, books etc. is what the market wants in Europe.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Should we keep your car for sale here, as I believe its now in Portugal with you?
    Andrew Macpherson