Thread: Maverics madness...

Maverics madness...

Not sure if anyone else has taken the dive into Mavericks yet, but if you haven't, I'm really serious when I say DON'T DO IT!

It's a swarm of bugginess and stupidity on a level on unimaginable incompetence. Safari has become completely unusable, so I am posting this using Firefox, and the new iBooks wiped out all my PDF's, most of which were our Z8 related stuff like the owners manual and all the Club tech docs that I really like having on my iPad & iPhone to have all the info on our cars in my pockets or trunk when we're out.

I'm putting all Z8 related PDF's up on a Dropbox so you can download and replace in case you already got Mavericks and thus lost all yours. Here's the link, they're about 1.5GB of PDFs.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I installed Mavericks today on my HD and my iBooks are still there. Safari works fine for me . Did you made a clean install or an update? Plz try "permission repair" this can sort some things out. I have been on the customers testing program since June and I did not meet many bugs in the day to day workflow. But I am sure there will be an update soon.....
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

I just ran the update from within the App Store, which was the only option I had. Check your PDF's in your iBooks, my books were still in there as they're in the cloud, it was all the PDF's that were simply all gone.
    Andrew Macpherson

I only have the iBook format and they are in the cloud too.
    Ton

The sRGB issue is a major pain and Safari is literally dead in the water, you can only have one window open at a time, it doesn't respond to URL's typed into the address bar, it doesn't respond the Command-N to open a new window, and it doesn't respond to refresh. I'll try a full reinstall once I've uploaded the PDF's, but they still have a couple of hours to run as there's a lot of info in them.
    Andrew Macpherson

Is this (Versie 7.0 (9537.71) the safari version you got ? I did not do a full install either. Did you do a restart after the safari troubles. The sRGB issue is unknown to me ...what is the problem?
    Ton

Doing a full reinstall on the laptop now, so answering this on the iPhone, will let you know more after I've done the reinstall, but the tech who was doing screen share with me had no other ideas, he just said what I knew, that it was unworkably buggy.
    Andrew Macpherson

Argh, don't rush into this upgrade is all I can say!! A day of helpline madness with no solutions and no call backs. I am hating Apple today, even though they're giving it away for free!

It looks like it'll be a couple more hours till the PDF upload's done in case you had the same PDF wipeout I did.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Happy
    There's always IE11!!
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner

Z8Mania
    That really stinks Andrew. I think with things like this it really depends. I usually wait a week to see what bugs there might be but I just couldn't wait on my two display systems. I did the upgrade on 6 macs of varying vintage and so far so good on my end.

Man, that stinks. Sorry to hear it's been so frustrating for you.
    thegunguy

Argh, bug city persists, anyway I put all the PDF's up here in case anyone else had the same issue - https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vqtqmx7tvlg62ra/nVYfk23aiw
    Andrew Macpherson

Thanks Andrew!
    Ton

sorry to hear about your tech woes, Andrew :-(

i usually try to wait until forced to before upgrading OS - and this surely strengths my resolve to wait for months worths of Mavericks updates before diving in!

btw, perhaps your missing content could be due to funky iCloud syncing - i recall Lloyd (at the great macperformanceguide.com) has been very critical of it & the issues he experienced (duplicate / deleted content)

here is a sample post i found:

MPG blog - Apple iCloud: Broken by Design

Z8Mania
    No problems here whatsoever.....

I upgraded with no problems, but I didn't have PDFs in my iBooks. My safari works just like it used to. So, it must be a glitch in your install. That said, someone who posts on another forum I frequent is lamenting Mavericks and iOS7 too. Perhaps it has to do with what software / hardware configuration is in place for the upgrade. I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, Andrew. I hope it gets sorted out. To you have a Time Machine backup you can restore to?
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

After a week of help lines all is sorted, but now it is I have to confess to noticing no difference to the Mac, but my enforced step up to a 5s has been pretty impressive, everything on my phone now works so much better, and I love the new and improved camera.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    I bet you love the improved speed the 4G gets you and the much faster processor really is incredible. Glad its all sorted out. I can tell you on my 2008 Mac Pro workstations- which are seriously hot rodded with a lot of non apple stuff like memory and even some really fast SSDs (boot time went from 67 seconds with a 7200 RPM 4 drive RAID 0 array- for max speed!! to 15 seconds with the SSD- like getting a new computer).... Mavericks makes these machines run even faster! Thats a win. I don't see the speed increase quite as much on my MBP but its still noticeable.

Well after a week of Mavericks, I'm impressed with most of the updates. I've had Mail bomb twice, but that's it. I'm super cautious about upgrades with redundant backups and lots of organizing in advance. I know Andrew had some issues on the upgrade process, but Apple has really made it smooth for me since they moved to all digital with Lion.

I'm really enjoying the new approach to multiple monitors. I've always been a heavy users of spaces, organizing my various tasks across multiple desktops, and running my MacBook Air with a 30" Cinema Display is now a treat. I've got a Mail, Calendar, Message, and other thing pegged on the MacBook screen with several flexible desktops on the 30". This just wasn't possible between Snow Leopard and Mavericks.

I'm also a big gesture user, and the interface is SO much smoother now. It was butter before, but wow, they've really gone under the hood to speed up interface responsiveness. Scrolling is iOS fast.

Finder tabs are so welcome too. Sure there were add-ons that would do the same, but I don't like extensions at the OS level. They tend to cause issues.

The coolest thing with this free new OS is the battery improvement. Apple's marketing on this is conservative. I was getting ~7 hours on a charge on my 2012 MacBook Air, which was so cool for travel, but with Mavericks, I'm now getting close to 9. I call voodoo.

Anyway, it's been smooth for me, but as others have pointed out, check with your app vendors for Mavericks compatibility, backup (multiple times), and upgrade with caution. The new OS has some great stuff, but I'm also hyper capable of supporting myself. For most users, I'd recommend waiting for .1 at least.
    thegunguy

.....and don't forget to use "repair permissions".
    Ton

Repairing permissions is one of those things that has been over recommended as a general fix or even maintenance. While it can help system related issues after an update, it's not normally necessary, and it shouldn't be performed as maintenance. It can cause issues if your particular setup requires modified permissions. It's one of those, use when required tools. So, I often suggest approaching a problem based on its symptoms first by seeking out vendor support, forums, etc.

One of the common arguments against post update permission repair is that if it were truly necessary, Apple would perform it as part of the install. They don't. I think this goes back to the potential to cause issues on systems that have purposefully modified permissions by the user or user installed apps.

Anyway, it's a use to purpose thing for me.

A good overview of permissions repair from a somewhat aged article in MacWorld.
    thegunguy

Apple would perform it as part of the install. They don't
    True, but during testing the Apple development team recommended it after every update
    Ton

Sure, that's a great case for it – testing dev builds. I'm just cautious at recommending it as a blanket maintenance step as it's not applicable in most cases, and while generally harmless, it can cause problems.

I think of it like disconnecting and replacing a battery when your Z8 won't start. It's a common problem and generally harmful, but unless its the actual issue, it could be pointless...plus, there's always a slight risk that you might cook the engine management system.
    thegunguy

I'm just cautious at recommending it as a blanket maintenance step as it's not applicable in most cases, and while generally harmless, it can cause problems.
    Stand corrected, it has to be used with caution!
    Ton

Oops. Meant to type harmless, not ful. Generally harmless.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    Oops. Meant to type harmless, not ful. Generally harmless.
    No problem...forgot the smiley :-)
    Ton

So mail is still buggy as all hell, I've been reduced to doing everything on the server, and Safari is now completely unusable with the ad-blocking extensions I love. Overall I see no improvement to my work flow, and just a whole lot of pain.

I run a completely stripped down lightweight system with only PS CC added to Apple's own built in programs.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Andrew, could you have some corrupt preference files causing problems? Have you tried creating a new user and seeing how that user fares?

I am running a pretty complex setup with zero issues including popular ad blockers.

Safari has some pretty major changes with its architecture. So, I could see some extensions taking a while to catch up with compatibility. The new stuff is aimed at speed and stability, and I'm finding both to be true compared to Safari 5 (groan) or 6.

Mail has been my lone problem area. Rules are wonky, and it's crashed twice in a week. However, I do tax mail pretty heavily with 9 IMAP accounts and over 30k messages.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I have 6 accounts and probably 8k active messages with probably something like 60-70k archived messages that the program has to deal with... no issues whatsoever. But I don't really use rules.........

I bypassed the upgrade issues by buying a whole new machine. I've conceded that Apple really isn't ever building a 17" Macbook Pro again, and got the loaded 15" Retina version. This thing benchmarks at 3X the speed of my 2010 Macbook Pro - mostly from the 2 extra cores. Overall, I'm liking the new OS and hardware, but I'm still getting things configured just the way I want them

Z8Mania
    Nice! I made the same move when they came out with the RD pro and I was worried about going to the smaller screen. Turns out with all that resolution it's easy. I haven't missed a beat since!

- - - Updated - - -

Btw- Rifle, Andrew, others with mail issues, the rumor sites all report apple is working on fixes.

- - - Updated - - -

Btw- Rifle, Andrew, others with mail issues, the rumor sites all report apple is working on fixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    That could be true!
    Ton

I'm very ready for the incoming Mail fixes.

Tom, which model did you get? Embedded or discrete GPU?
    thegunguy

I got the discrete GPU, but it's used much less often than my 2010 MBP, so I'm mostly running the embedded for regular tasks. 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM and the 2.6Ghz CPU. It's pretty sweet!

Sounds like a great machine. I switched to a loaded Air last year for portability, but with the slimmer and lighter 13 retina, I may upgrade soon. That screen...
    thegunguy

The rumored Mail update came in this afternoon. Check the App Store for the update (in case you don't have automatic updates turned on, but even those are only done at certain times of the day).
    thegunguy

Thanks for the tip, downloading it now.
    Andrew Macpherson

Just received this warning from my backup company:

* * * DATA LOSS WARNING FOR WD USERS! * * *

a serious issue for Western Digital users - please check if you're impacted

Backblaze Blog » Western Digital Warning Customers of Data Loss with Apple Mavericks

Apple customers upgrading to OS X 10.9 Mavericks are complaining in droves about data loss on their Western Digital hard drives. WD has acknowledged the issue today in an email to its customers and is working to determine the root cause and a solution.

Western Digital recommendation

At this point, WD is recommending customers either:
    * Hold off upgrading to Mavericks, or, if they have already upgraded,
    * Uninstall WD software

To be clear, if you are fully backed up with Backblaze, you are safe.

You will be able to restore the data lost from your WD drive. If that happens to you, please immediately prepare a free download restore or order a USB hard drive or flash drive with your data. Before you prepare your restore, review the Backblaze file list for the WD drive you are restoring. If necessary, you can roll back time with Backblaze to before you installed Mavericks.

More detail on the cause

While it is not completely clear from WD or Apple the set of circumstances causing the data loss, WD at this point believes it is an issue between Mavericks and Western Digital’s WD Drive Manager, WD Raid Manager and WD SmartWare software applications.

In reading through the threads on the WD forums and Apple forums, it seems this has happened primarily to users that have chosen to setup their drive as RAID 0 or RAID 1. The experience for the user is that the drive appears to reset, simply become called MyBook, claim the partition is damaged, with all data gone. However, this is not yet definitive and the recommendation of not upgrading or uninstalling the WD software is the best plan for the “safe rather than sorry” approach.

Consider sharing this with friends who plan to, or have, upgraded to Mavericks.

Yikes, all the drives in my Drobo back-up unit are WD dives, but they're running on the Drobo Dashboard and Time Machine software, so am I safe?

(Just checked and all appears well on the surface.)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    It seems this applies to those using the Backblaze WD backup system.....

I'm using Backblaze online back up, but it's massively slow, it still hasn't backed up my system, and its been running for months!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a lacie big something or other on my network raid 5. Im paranoid about storing my data elsewhere.

But you should keep a duplicate off-site too.

My first time machine drive was a WD MyBook 3 years ago and it failed in under 3 months. I just bought a Time Capsule and the drive was DOA, so apple replaced it immediately.

Hardware fails - plan for it!

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    Hardware fails - plan for it!
    Never rely on a single backup. I do Time Machine at home plus constant offsite backup to Crashplan's cloud service and a few trusted friends (encrypted) who also use Crashplan. I'm looking at getting a File Transporter to send out to a few other trusted households out of state to house critical data (private DropBox). Just like tires, hardware wears out. Natural disasters happen. I want to make sure that I have everything in multiple places in planning for the worst. My data is one of my most valuable assets.

The WD issue is if you're using their drive management software, not just their hardware. Their communication on this is a bit poor. Like Andrew, I'm using a pack of WD drives in my Drobo at home (further safety net).

Anybody seen my tinfoil hat?
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    I'm using Backblaze online back up, but it's massively slow, it still hasn't backed up my system, and its been running for months!
    Your storage needs are probably HUGE, but you can also fiddle with the settings with these services. I don't use BackBlaze (though I recommend it), but with Crashplan, I can adjust the amount of bandwidth that it will use. Their servers can't handle over about 10Mb/sec, but the default setting is around 2Mb/sec. They're still assuming most users are on DSL speed services. So, if you have a strong connection, you might be able to boost your settings.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    I haven't opened up to trusting any of these services but I hear they are very good. I backup to time machine at home and then I have an exact duplicate of all my files on my office machine which also has time machine on it and both time machines are to raid 5. I think I really should give these off site services a try.

I know numerous people who use either BackBlaze or Crashplan. The both have their pluses and minuses, but I don't think you can go wrong with either.
    thegunguy

I use my Time Machine ...works perfect with Mavericks. I don't want to become dependent on an external source. .....and I don't want to give the NSA more work to do....they are so busy already
    Ton

True dat! Still I do like having off site back up, the old .mac service was really smart and super useful, I'm still sad Apple gave that up, the iCloud thing sux by comparison.

It seems most of my tech problems have been solved by a system erase-reinstall, but in mail it still takes two separate goes to empty the mail-thrash folder. Anyone else getting that?
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    No. Never had that problem but the skuttlebutt on the rumor websites is they have seeded a new version of the os to developers and asked them to focus on......... mail........... so we will see.

As for the NSA- that sort of thing is exactly why I choose to not put my info off site like that. Instead I just dump everything to an external drive and bring it to a firesafe off site. The problem with this is its annually. But since I am backing up to my office as well and that is backing up locally to its own time machine Im less worried.

they have seeded a new version of the os
    Ready to download but focus areas are wider.

I use a Time Machine for the hourly update of several computers and really important things are backed up elsewhere ...in case off. The only problem with TM is that when they break in to my house it can be stolen....if they find it
    Ton

Z8Mania
    LOL! I also back up my most recent and important things to a USB flash drive I keep in my brief case. Just another redundancy. I should do it daily but its more like whenever I feel like it, which is like every other week...

I keep in my brief case
    ermm....help me ...what was your address again?
    Ton

Z8Mania
    Its one of those brief cases with handcuffs