Thread: New member from London

New member from London

Hi
    I bought Z8 from club member in Feb, after 6 month for shipping, modification of tail lights, and registration work, finally it's delivered to me.
    I'm still driving it so nervously, but its powerful acceleration and Eisenmann sound make me crazy everytime I drive it!
    I'm trying to get used to it step by step and like to get lots of fun from driving it under Autumn sun.
    Hope I can share fantastic experience with you all from now on.

At last I like to say special thanks to Marty. Because like other buyers, I asked his support for buying my car. Marty gave me proper and precise inspection report as well as right advise for both good and inferior points of the cars he inspected. Actually it was me that asked Marty to inspect a car of Jim Lyons. So, without his support, it was impossible for me to buy a reliable car from UK.
    I really appreciate your support, Marty!

Kei

Congratulations on finally being united with your Z8! I have the jet black/sport red color combination as well and I still find myself staring at the car after nearly two years of ownership because of the way the light bounces off the paint, and the pop of that red interior. Enjoy.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Congratulations, and welcome aboard! Please do share loads of pix with us, we haven't seen nearly enough of the UK on the site!

Is that Mark's old car from Point Dume here in LA?

And great shots too by the way!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Love the ever increasing international flavor!! Welcome and enjoy that beautiful beast.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)
    2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot
    Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery
    -- Others --
    1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner
    1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner
    1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner
    2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    My pleasure helping you out Kei. You ended up with a superb car! Love the shot with Big Ben in the background. Be sure and post more pictures! Oh, and yes, that was Mark's car from Point Dume.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    What a fantastic story and car and photos. Congratulations Kai. Have you done the performance package and also CDV removal?

Thanks all.
    Actually I bought it from Bob Adler in Maribu. Thanks his careful maintainance, the condition is superb. Yes PP had been installed but not sure about CDV. I like to taste its original condition for a while then start modifying it to my favorite taste (if necessary).
    My pics, it was not an easy work because it was just in front of UK's parliament building and restricted parking area, mortorcycle cop came to me immediately!
    I love my red x red LED tail lights. But as you can see some bulbs have already died. Need to check it with builder though.
    Cheers
    Kei

That's right, it was Bob, I was getting it muddled up with Mark Jordan's car that Marty recently sold. I dropped off the hard top stand to Bob just before your car left, so I saw it then, and of course it was one of our cars at the big Monterey '08 event. Here it is in one of our biggest ever group shots, right under the tank at the entrance to the Hunter Liggat Military Base.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I got the names mixed up too. It was Bob Adler and he did live in Malibu. Mark's car went to Sag Harbor New York.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Yeah its more than 6 month ago and you look after lots of cars, so you may mix up.
    It's a shame that I couldnt meet Andrew when I visited Bob in Feb. Thanks a lot for delivering hard top stand. Also nice pic of the meeting.
    Next time I will upload day time pic.

Kei

Welcome aboard, beautiful car and you are right, the Eisenmann is intoxicating.

Z8Mania
    Here is a link on the CDV- an easy mod to have done and very much worth it. The E39 M5, from which there is much shared, did not have one of these. This is an evil device from the bean counters. Its best to remove it. You will also increase your clutch life quite a bit. An example is I had an E39 M5 with ~36k miles on it with the original clutch and no problems. My Z8 clutch was worn out at ~17k miles. Thats what got me wondering why this happened and I discovered the CDV.

http://zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm

Tks riverflyer! Eisenmann gets me excited while having more torque.

Jerry, thank you so much about CDV. I will check it tomorrow. Actually it gets jerky from 1st to 2nd so I kept doing slower start.
    P.P is definitely necessary for bumpy European road.

Kei

Z8Mania
    Im not sure this will work well with the stock diff (I have a modified gear set in mine that makes about 8% more rear wheel power at the sacrifice of some top speed); but try starting off on flat or even declining surfaces in 2nd gear. This way you eliminate the shift all together and in many circumstances you don't really need the power 1st can generate...... though it is FUN !

Z8 Happy
    More pictures please! Welcome !

Mark
    AKA Mark from SoCal

2003 Alpina - Black/Black
    Original Owner

I still find the clutch take up to be a little jerky in first and second. It diminishes some when I am less timid with the gas, and smooths out when the car is warmed up after being driven a while.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Z8Mania
    Charles did you remove the CDV? I find the car is pretty smooth. Most cars get smoother when the fluids are at operating temp. Thats one of the reasons I bring up starting off in 2nd gear- its more gentle for everything and everyone.

Yes, the CDV was removed by Peter Pan BMW right after I purchased it. Ironically, I don't remember having this issue when I tested the car or any of the other Z8's before I bought mine. It would be sacrilege, but it could be that some of us do better with the CDV, although the car does seem to rocket more without it, and I am not seriously considering putting the CDV back, even if it were possible. Right now I am crediting it to the car having been so lightly driven before I bought it that the clutch is still tight, and the fact it is a more powerful car than I drive daily. As I accelerate it goes, then hesitates, then really goes. Sometimes I get it just right and eliminate the hesitation. It has got to be something I am doing that will pass with practice.

I will try starting off in 2nd. Goodness knows you could almost start off in any gear. I am still surprised how much power is on tap even when in 6th gear at highway speeds. Unless you are really hot dogging it, you don't need to downshift. Just step on the gas. I originally thought 6th was just a long overdrive, but it is really just another gear. I am used to a four cylynder which inspires confidence as long as you are at 3000 rpm and up. The Z8 is always ready at 2000 - 2200 rpm. Higher revs are just not necesary to move the car.
    Charles Guerin

That 1-2 transition is bad on every Z8 I've owned (4) and driven. It doesn't bother me too much because I really do use it just for open road drives, but no matter what you do, and I've done a lot, it is hard to remove the notchiness from that transition. Once the car is hot it is much, much better. I've tried different oils too, but to no noticeable effect.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    That is on every BMW stick Ive had.

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    That is on every BMW stick Ive had.
    Now don't get me started on my E21, so sweet and easy to drive, and my last (and only) new clutch was 120,000 miles ago.

Charles Guerin

Now that's a marriage!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Nice! I began with BMW a little later with the E36. They've all had a bit of a pause in the shift from 1-2. I know what you mean about engine power. Its a very flexible motor. One of the many appealing things about the Z8.

Does anyone else pause between the gears when the car is coming up to temperature to allow for the syncro's in the transmission to catch up with the shift? I was told this was a best practice many years ago when I owned my Triumph TR4A, and I still practice this technique.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Yes I do. I think having the 3.64 rear end (vs the 3.38 stock) helps with my starting off in 2nd gear technique.

Just as a technical point my issue is not jerkiness "from" 1st to 2nd, but rather "in" 1st. While in 1st I will step on the gas and start letting out the clutch. In the middle of this process the car starts out fine, hesitates, then finishes fine. It does not happen in any other gear, so I am thinking even after CDV removal, I either need to be slower with the clutch take-up or faster with the gas.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    Charles, I think I know of what you speak. Do you sometimes experience a kind of rubber band effect? I think you have it correct about the clutch/gas balance. I do think removing the CDV will help you because the CDV robs you of control over the clutch.

Finally I have removed CDV and realized the difference! It feels like released from long time decayed tooth. Shifting up and down so natural and quick/direct. I wonder why I haven't done it much earlier.
    I strongly recommend anyone who still have CDV to remove it immediately!!

Z8Mania