Thread: Matching Michelin PSS with PS2

Z8 Novice

Matching Michelin PSS with PS2

I'm a newbie here, but I have a question that I'm hoping some of the enthusiasts who are much more knowledgeable about these great cars might have solved and can provide guidance.

I read up on the tire issue with standard Z8 wheels on a couple of threads, and I have since searched for replacement tires. I prefer to go to the local Discount Tire near my house, and upon searching found that Michelin no longer provides a matching set of tires with their PS2 brand, and they do not make a tire for the back with their highly reviewed Super Sport brand. I'm a dedicated Michelin customer, and the guy at Discount Tire suggested that, because the tread patterns are almost identical between the two Michelin tires mentioned, I should put the PS2 on the rears and the SS on the fronts. He stated that they have done that on other cars with the same matching tire set issue.

I've received mixed feedback from friends about going this route, but the alternatives are probably equally enticing. I can go with Michelin Pilot Sport All Season tires, but I live in San Diego, never drive the car in rain, and I can't really see the attraction with an A/S tire on a car of this caliber when weather doesn't impact the driving experience. I currently have Bridgestone S-03s on the car, which have done a good job, but I'd prefer to play out the Michelin options first, and I don't know if Bridgestone even makes a matching set of S-03s these days.

Welcome, and I think you're right on the S03, they are no longer in production,.

You should be fine matching the PSS fronts with PS2's rear since they are essentially the same kind of sport tire. The SS will be a bit grippier, which will actually suit the stock set up as it has a lot of understeer dialed in from the factory.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Unless you're set on Michelin, you might also look at the Potenza RE-11. I'd guess they're the best tire that's available in quantity for the original 18" wheel.
    thegunguy

Mixing tires sounds like a bad idea to me.....

Z8 Novice
    Thank you gentlemen for the feedback. The Potenza RE-11 is an option, and I just verified its availability for the standard Z8 wheel sizes. I'm just so heavily biased toward the Michelin that its going to take some motivation to diversify. I actually called Michelin last week to ask about planned expansion of the Super Sport sizes, but I could barely understand the guy on the phone, and he didn't have a whole lot of interest in helping out -- maybe I called during lunch hour. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Mixing tires sounds like a bad idea to me.....
    I "think" the mixed set "could" be fine (including the additional grip in the front), but Norcal's right the unknowns are hard to quantify.

One of my concerns would be what happens in 6 months when one of the rears gets a nail that can't be repaired and there are no longer any PS2s available and the PSS is still not offered in your size. Now you're faced with needing to replace the damaged tire with something else, but you'd really need to look to replace all four, essentially wasting three good tires.

Michelin is great. They are my favorite, hands-down tire for just about anything on the street. However, they just don't seem to be the best solution for the 18" wheel right now. I think the safe move is the Potenzas.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Welcome.

I would not mix the types of tires.

#1- Performance/ Safety: The MPS2 and the MPSS use different compounds and they will behave differently. The differences might be very small if you are just cruising around, but if you take a corner too quickly, or want to drive spirited, this will create different handling characteristics between the front and rear. This can lead to understeer (the car plows ahead although you have the steering wheel turned- there is simply not enough front tire grip) or oversteer (the front end grips more than the rear end and the rear end comes around on you- aka spin out). When conditions deteriorate such as rain, snow, cold, or perhaps extreme heat, the differences will be magnified, thus lowering the threshold for problems. The odds are I'm overstating what could go wrong, but I would not compromise my safety/ and or driving fun simply out of brand preference, and I say this as a huge Michelin fan. They are by far my favorite.

#2- Rifle's point about practical concerns.

Personally, Id go with the Bridgestone Potenzas. They are good tires IMHO.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    I "think" the mixed set "could" be fine (including the additional grip in the front), but Norcal's right the unknowns are hard to quantify.

One of my concerns would be what happens in 6 months when one of the rears gets a nail that can't be repaired and there are no longer any PS2s available and the PSS is still not offered in your size. Now you're faced with needing to replace the damaged tire with something else, but you'd really need to look to replace all four, essentially wasting three good tires.

Michelin is great. They are my favorite, hands-down tire for just about anything on the street. However, they just don't seem to be the best solution for the 18" wheel right now. I think the safe move is the Potenzas.
    I've read on some of the other threads here that the PS2s are nearing the end of their lifecycle, and I share the concern of the tire phasing out this year or next. I just checked with my local Costco. They could have a set of Potenza RE-11s by week's end, and the price for all four would set me back a little over $1,100. Not bad.

I'll probably go this route to at least have the reassurance that my tires are a matched set and can be replaced as such, but my mind will probably be repeating Macfly's thinking about the Michelins. I'm just crossing my fingers that the Super Sport line will expand enough to cover the Z8 before the next set of tires needs to be purchased.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Welcome.

I would not mix the types of tires.

#1- Performance/ Safety: The MPS2 and the MPSS use different compounds and they will behave differently. The differences might be very small if you are just cruising around, but if you take a corner too quickly, or want to drive spirited, this will create different handling characteristics between the front and rear. This can lead to understeer (the car plows ahead although you have the steering wheel turned- there is simply not enough front tire grip) or oversteer (the front end grips more than the rear end and the rear end comes around on you- aka spin out). When conditions deteriorate such as rain, snow, cold, or perhaps extreme heat, the differences will be magnified, thus lowering the threshold for problems. The odds are I'm overstating what could go wrong, but I would not compromise my safety/ and or driving fun simply out of brand preference, and I say this as a huge Michelin fan. They are by far my favorite.

#2- Rifle's point about practical concerns.

Personally, Id go with the Bridgestone Potenzas. They are good tires IMHO.
    Good points. My best friend from Germany bought himself a matching Z8 to mine a few years back, proclaiming he'd just purchased his dream car, shipped the car back to Germany, and then had a freak accident driving home from the port. He is an excellent driver, and despite totaling the vehicle, he is at a loss about what exactly happened during his drive that caused what he says felt like one or two of the wheels to seize, putting him into an irrecoverable spin. I share this story not to cause anyone to cringe but to emphasize the point you made about prioritizing safety.

Hey! Maybe I should sell you (cheap) my good set of tires sitting on my stock wheels in my garage! I think they are S04 Pole positions in good condition (as I recall). I'm not using them and they'll just get old. Of course, if you get a nail etc as GunGuy pointed out, you may have "a time" finding a replacement... but hey, why not go for it? Maybe by the time they are toast, the Mich. SS will have your size. PM me if interested.

Z8 Novice
    Hey! Maybe I should sell you (cheap) my good set of tires sitting on my stock wheels in my garage! I think they are S04 Pole positions in good condition (as I recall). I'm not using them and they'll just get old. Of course, if you get a nail etc as GunGuy pointed out, you may have "a time" finding a replacement... but hey, why not go for it? Maybe by the time they are toast, the Mich. SS will have your size. PM me if interested.
    Much obliged, Norcal, but I already put my credit card down payment against the Potenza order yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't mind having two sets, but I've got nowhere to store them, and my wife would just as soon leave me without the stack of tires in the corner of the garage.

Z8Mania
    Congratulations on the new shoes. I am sure they will treat you well. I think your story highlights that sometimes things happen so its a good idea to maximize the odds in your favor. How is your friend doing? It seems from your story that he walked away. The Z8 is a well built car that I think is surprisingly safe (given its size).

Quote Originally Posted by BeemZ8 View Post
    Much obliged, Norcal, but I already put my credit card down payment against the Potenza order yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't mind having two sets, but I've got nowhere to store them, and my wife would just as soon leave me without the stack of tires in the corner of the garage.
    I feel your pain! I have the four stock Z8 wheels and tires, 2 Pilot sport cup tires off my old GT3, and am getting new wheels and tires this week for my new-to-me cayman S, so will have 4 stock cayman wheels with great rubber too! Good thing my son moved out and took his 2 pairs of spare wheels & tires etc. with him!

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Congratulations on the new shoes. I am sure they will treat you well. I think your story highlights that sometimes things happen so its a good idea to maximize the odds in your favor. How is your friend doing? It seems from your story that he walked away. The Z8 is a well built car that I think is surprisingly safe (given its size).
    Sorry... been traveling. My friend walked away from the accident, thank goodness. The Z8 is a phenomenally designed safe vehicle, and he credits it with not only saving his skin, but doing it so well that he literally didn't even visit a hospital. The car fell on the sword, however, and he sold it as a salvage vehicle to some guy in Russia I believe for a decent enough price that he didn't incur a devastating financial loss.

As for the tires, I'm sure they're sitting at my dealer waiting for me to get back and install them. I'm looking forward to it, and I'll post soon afterward to share how the tires are performing.

Z8 Novice
    I feel your pain! I have the four stock Z8 wheels and tires, 2 Pilot sport cup tires off my old GT3, and am getting new wheels and tires this week for my new-to-me cayman S, so will have 4 stock cayman wheels with great rubber too! Good thing my son moved out and took his 2 pairs of spare wheels & tires etc. with him!
    All I can say is that if you're married, you definitely found the right woman! Enjoy the Cayman S... they're supposed to be outstanding driving cars. You know how to pick 'em.