Thread: windscreen

Z8 Novice

windscreen

I brought my 2003 Z8 back from sea island to my farm in central georgia last week for some fall driving with the top down. On I 16 ( georgia's autobbahn) I maintained 120+ for about 100 miles or so following another fast driver and noticed my windscreen had cracked in the middle forward of the mirror. I had installed the hard top earlier that day and am wondering if there is stress created by this or was it the fast driving on a somewhat rough interstate?

The screens on our cars are notorious for stress cracking, it can be the top, the heat, a stone chip, even a sneeze it seems. Our rather upright screens are only good for around 15-25,000 miles before they are so covered in stone chips that you want to replace them anyway, so it isn't such a serious loss, unless it happens right after installing a new one!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks I have a BMW dealership in Atlanta dealing with it unfourtunatley they have never repaired one, so we shall see

Sport Button On - DSC Off Old Baillie's Avatar
    Happened to me when Macfly and I went to the concourse in Carmel this year. Combination of a small chip that increased when a very hot day turned into a very chilly night, and I parked the car on a slight incline that probably increased the stress.
    Alpina, Silver/Black

Z8 Madness
    Same here. Went out for a drive (coincidentally with Andrew ) got a small chip from a flying rock that I just couldn't live with.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

Cool

I know the feeling.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

I guess karma means it's me next! At 15,000 miles mine already looks like frosted glass when the low sun hits it, so I'll just wait for mine to crack.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8 Madness
    Does anyone have any experience with windshield protector film? (e.g., this)
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

It says that you have to replace it every so often, depending of use, etc. so my concern would be that our upright screen would challenge it enough to need replacing it every few thousand miles.
    Andrew Macpherson

Well I cracked mine 2 years ago while trying to replace the rear view mirror. Apparently I have few more years to go with a secure windshield.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    At about 14000, my Z8 was on its 3rd windscreen. I am the second owner and she had 4400 miles and was on (at least) her second when I got her. Hoping this one lasts a bit longer than average or else I am about due for another!

Sport Button On - DSC Off jpklecker's Avatar
    I'm on my second replacement windshield in 37,000 miles. The first was a stone that hit just below the left side wiper, the second was a stone near the middle of the windshield below the rearview mirror. The current one is only slightly pitted--problem here in Phoenix is all the oversized trucks which go off-road, then race down the highway. My problem is the chips in the paint on the nose section of the car--I'm going to need to have it re-sprayed but I would like to find a good protective film to put on it once this is done.
    John Klecker - 2002 Topaz / Crema (61782)

I think Andrew is the frontman for the Z8 Windshield Replacement Cartel. They may deny it, but this evil cartel is making huge profits from the windshields that Andrew is causing to fail 'mysteriously'.

I've attached a surveillance photo of Andrew applying a failure causing substance (from Fiji) to a members windshield as evidence of this ne'er do well's nefarious deeds.

Hey, thats my car! (V1 is the give away) so Fiji must be the magic savior of my second glass. My first one stress cracked during a wash in the sun!
    Andrew Macpherson

No Tom, I think I am responsible for all those replacements. How many of you have had to replace glass after following me on "spirited" drives? I do feel guilty, for what it's worth. Must be my tires (S03 pole positions). Truly, I think the wide tread grooves kick up more rocks (?)

So to all, my sincere apologies.

I, on the other hand am still on my first glass @ 30k+, but it is horribly pitted with numerous chips. I'll replace it someday, but why? It will only be ruined again in short order. Perhaps in 2011 (10 yrs). Not being a slave to perfection has its freedom! That and my road rashed paint is merely more, hard earned character!

One unfortunate reminder of the Oregon trip is a chip in the windscreen. I recall hearing that replacing one requires special care to ensure that the replacement doesn't crack shortly thereafter. Does anyone have detailed instructions so that I can ensure that the work is done properly?

Thanks, Robin
    61339 Silver/Black
    Robin Ensom

Z8 Madness
    I recall that Irvine BMW had to obtain 3 parts (the glass + a couple of additional items). The installation required a fairly long period for the glue to cure. During this time, the car had to be on perfectly level grounds. I also know that they had a special instrument to check the status of the glue. They had my car for 3 days.
    2016 Porsche GTS/MT

My car has at least two new "stars". My windshield is beginning to resemble the milky way as seen from crater lake! But my theory is to drive it until it breaks... then replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    drive it until it breaks
    We found the text for our next grill badge!