Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last
Results 1 to 75 of 105

Thread: Tail lights available (may 2016)

  1. #1
    Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    918

    Tail lights available (may 2016)

    FYI: a Message from the Z8 club
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

  2. #2
    Well that is some good news, well done to all involved!
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  3. #3
    It will be better news if and when they extend it to the U.S. and Canada........

  4. #4
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    201
    Good to hear they are available but far from ideal. 1600 euros for a defective lamp assembly doesn't leave me with a feeling of goodwill. Its almost worse that some were given allowance and not others

    dave p

  5. #5

    Pertinent Quote

    Can't help but bring up a quote regarding the multiple neon bulbs from page 131 of our owner's manual that colors this matter:
    "The service life of these lamps is very high and the likelihood of failure very minimal. Should a lamp ever [sic] fail however, please contact your BMW center for assistance."

  6. #6
    Team Z8
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    297
    Hmmm...A hypothetical problem, if you are a U.S. customer and need a replacement light how would you know if you were getting the "new and improved" version or one from old stock?

  7. #7
    Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by ron's rocket View Post
    Hmmm...A hypothetical problem, if you are a U.S. customer and need a replacement light how would you know if you were getting the "new and improved" version or one from only stock?
    There is a date stamp on the plastic.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

  8. #8
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    So this good will campaign still does not apply to the USA?

  9. #9
    Team Z8 zed8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    313

    Tail lights arrived

    New tail lights are finally installed. They are replaced under goodwill campaign. I checked the production date and they are 1st of March 2016.

    Name:  IMG_3277.JPG
Views: 1410
Size:  460.9 KB
    Name:  IMG_3286.JPG
Views: 1492
Size:  417.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_3288.JPG
Views: 1290
Size:  385.2 KB
    Hattat

    AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

    PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

  10. #10
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    48
    I have just had my rear lights replaced at my expense. One of them has a chrome finish in the boot as my original US lights, the other a matt black finish. Does this mean I have one from old production and another from new?? My dealer has agreed to get a new chrome finish one to replace the matt black one but it doesn't say much for BMW if they have tried to fob me off ith old defective lights.

  11. #11
    Team Z8 zed8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcjackson View Post
    I have just had my rear lights replaced at my expense. One of them has a chrome finish in the boot as my original US lights, the other a matt black finish. Does this mean I have one from old production and another from new?? My dealer has agreed to get a new chrome finish one to replace the matt black one but it doesn't say much for BMW if they have tried to fob me off ith old defective lights.
    My original factory lights and the new replaced ones came with the plastic finish. Actually they are plastic covers completes with the plastic covers around the trunk gasket.
    Hattat

    AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

    PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

  12. #12
    Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    133
    Hi,

    Not sure if you have seen my message in the BMW Club section, but... My experience was as follows - BMW NA paid 70% of the full installed price of new tail lights, and I paid 30%. My cost was roughly 3K CAD I believe for both lights, which was still crazy, but better than nothing. I had to push for it.

    PM me if you have any questions.

    Patrick

  13. #13
    Z8 Novice Z8Z1-HOOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks so much for sharing this information with us.

    However I did see 2 different letters from the BMW Z8 club. The German version and the English version.
    There are contradictions in these 2 letters and it is not clear to me what is actually happening.

    If the tail lights fail, do US Z8 owners get a goodwill replacement or do they have to pay? (The German letter clearly states the red/red lights will be replaced under goodwill as well.) Only exception seems to be made for cars being modified from US tail lights to ECE tail lights......
    These apparently will not be covered under the goodwill action.

    To have things completely clear, did anybody see official correspondence from BMW directly?
    I guess there must be correspondence from BMW, BMW US to the club or to other individuals?

    This will be the only way to get things completely clear, since the correspondence of the club is their interpretation only (the club understandably indicates in the German letter that their interpretation of what BMW wrote to them is at their best knowledge and the club cannot take any responsibility )
    Therefore only the official letter from BMW can be used as a guide to make things 100% clear.

    Will appreciate if anybody could help me.

    Thanks.

  14. #14

    BMWNA refuses to participate in BMW good will

    BMWNA is not participating in this program. I just spoke to Bill Steuart at BMWNA. That is the info as of 8/31/16. Pretty weird.
    I guest our Z8 club in Europe has more clout than we do. Opps what clout do we have at all? I have bought a 530, 540 sport, M5, Z8, and 3 M6s about $725,000. Worth of BMWs
    certainly many of you have given BMW more business than i, but.....
    BMW in Germany has acknowledged a defect, and has offered to fix it. I thought my Z8 was a BMW made in Germany? Hmm maybe they think it ia a Z4?

  15. #15
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by BearZ8 View Post
    BMWNA is not participating in this program. I just spoke to Bill Steuart at BMWNA. That is the info as of 8/31/16. Pretty weird.
    I guest our Z8 club in Europe has more clout than we do. Opps what clout do we have at all? I have bought a 530, 540 sport, M5, Z8, and 3 M6s about $725,000. Worth of BMWs
    certainly many of you have given BMW more business than i, but.....
    BMW in Germany has acknowledged a defect, and has offered to fix it. I thought my Z8 was a BMW made in Germany? Hmm maybe they think it ia a Z4?
    BearZ8 we have no clout, IMO, because owners here are passive and not standing up for their rights. I spoke to NHTSA about the tali light defect. They said they would investigate but there was only one complaint on file. So I made a complaint. Then I posted the "how to" make a complaint on this site. I don't see Z8 owners taking any action other than whining on this website. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If NHTSA discovered a high degree of complaints relative to cars imported I can assure you BMW would take voluntary action to make the situation right.

    BMW realizes Z8 owners won't do anything and suspects they will continue buying BMW products.....so why remedy the situation and spend money fixing the problem?

    IF PEOPLE WANT BMW TO DO SOMETHING THEY NEED TO FILE THE QUICK AND EASY REPORT WITH NHTSA.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    BearZ8 we have no clout, IMO, because owners here are passive and not standing up for their rights. I spoke to NHTSA about the tali light defect. They said they would investigate but there was only one complaint on file. So I made a complaint. Then I posted the "how to" make a complaint on this site. I don't see Z8 owners taking any action other than whining on this website. As they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. If NHTSA discovered a high degree of complaints relative to cars imported I can assure you BMW would take voluntary action to make the situation right.

    BMW realizes Z8 owners won't do anything and suspects they will continue buying BMW products.....so why remedy the situation and spend money fixing the problem?

    IF PEOPLE WANT BMW TO DO SOMETHING THEY NEED TO FILE THE QUICK AND EASY REPORT WITH NHTSA.
    Filed 5 days ago

  17. #17
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by BearZ8 View Post
    Filed 5 days ago
    YAY!!!!!! Thank you BearZ8!!!!! Now if everyone with a light problem on this forum did this I assure you NHTSA would start heating up and BMW would jump in to nip this in the bud. Please, folks, time to grow an pair and take a few minutes to stand up for your God given right (to drive a car that doesn't have safety defects) )

    BTW, my Z1, Z8 and my Z4....all made in Germany
     

  18. #18
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3
    I would like to file a tail light complaint as well. Can someone point me to a link or email of where to send it?

  19. #19
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFZ8 View Post
    I would like to file a tail light complaint as well. Can someone point me to a link or email of where to send it?
    Hello JEFZ8! Here's a repost. This has all the information you need:

    Everyone with this issue take 5 minutes to make your complaint to NHTSA. Send Randy an email then call in your complaint. This is where you file your Complaint. Emailing Randy makes this problem front and center with an investigator! When you call the toll free number NHTSA will take your information over the phone and generate a formal complaint. It is quick and easy. All you need is your VIN number. Call 1-888-327-4236. I chose not to make a selection as they will have then have a live operator answer the phone (as if you have a rotary phone, i.e., don't select an option). The more complaints we file with NHTSA....which will appear on SaferCar.gov, the more likely BMW will take us seriously.


    The design defect Z8 tail light issue will ultimately cost every Z8 owner thousands of dollars and it will lower the value of your Z8 unless you take action now. You have the power to make a difference on this issue rather than just posting a gripe on a forum.

    I just spoke to Randy with NHTSA / DOT. He says I am the only Z8 owner to file a 5 minute complaint to NHTSA on the Z8 tail light issue!

    PLEASE SEND HIM AN EMAIL AND TELL HIM IF YOU HAD A NEON LIGHT FAILURE ON YOUR Z8! It will take you less than 5 minutes to send Randy an email at [email protected]


    [email protected]


    Fellow Z8 owners out there.....If you have a light problem you must report it to NHTSA otherwise BMW knows nothing will ever be done about it.

    So if you like the idea of paying thousands of dollars PER LAMP each time one fails....AND THEY WILL FAIL due to their defective design....then do not contact NHTSA.

    If you like lowering the value of your Z8 then do not complain to NHTSA! Yes, your Z8 is worth less as people who would be buyers hear of these tail light issues and how it will cost thousands to repair and this is a repair that will have to be done sooner or later...and over again!

    All a potential buyer needs to do is read from this Z8 forum and elsewhere and they will be less inclined to buy the car or at least pay a lower price. This is exactly what happened with the 355 Ferrari market as owners complained about defects but never took action. Instead, they spent thousands to fix the design defect issues and potential buyers hearing of these issues shied away from buying 355s or offered lower prices.

    BMW owners in Europe were apparently much more vocal to the powers that be over there so BMW took action.

    If you were BMW USA and realized NHTSA won't do anything would you spend your money replacing Z8 taillights?

    If you want action take action!

    If you want to preserve or even boost the value of your Z8 take action!

    If you don't want to spend $4k or more replacing a defectively designed tail light.....and then later another $4k replacing the other one when it eventually fails, contact NHTSA!

    If you don't want someone rear ending you and potentially killing you, your passenger or the people who rear end you should your light fail when you don't know it, then contact NHTSA!

  20. #20
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3
    Thank you. Will do it today!

  21. #21
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by JEFZ8 View Post
    Thank you. Will do it today!
    Great!!!!! If more folks would do this ASAP I know we'd get our lights fixed and updated!

  22. #22
    Team Z8 tomfakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    358
    Am I the only one that's not comfortable getting the NHTSA involved in this?

  23. #23
    When Z8DinanS2 first started aggressively pushing the idea, I was a little uncomfortable, still thinking that BMWNA would step up and do the right thing. However, it is clear BMWNA is throwing the US Z8 community under the bus, so I think whatever leverage we have to push them in the direction of a fair solution to what is clearly a design flaw is reasonable.

    Bill

  24. #24
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by boomster View Post
    When Z8DinanS2 first started aggressively pushing the idea, I was a little uncomfortable, still thinking that BMWNA would step up and do the right thing. However, it is clear BMWNA is throwing the US Z8 community under the bus, so I think whatever leverage we have to push them in the direction of a fair solution to what is clearly a design flaw is reasonable.

    Bill
    Agreed. BMW should be held accountable. If this were something minor it would not be such a big issue. But it is not and BMW has literally turned its back on us....while helping those in its European market.

    BTW, as a footnote, I had to replace a cracked SL65 taillight on my Mercedes. It's a car with an MSRP of ~200k and I bought the rather large and handsome light for a few hundred dollars from Mercedes. If our lights were defective but only cost a few hundred dollars to repair I'd suck it up and take it. But we're talking thousands of dollars here. Worse, the parts are defective and eventually they will (both) fail.

  25. #25
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5
    Well, this is somewhat timely. Just had an oil change done this morning and they identified my defective taillight. And just finished submitting my issue with Mr. Reid. Thanks lots for this.

  26. #26
    Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8DinanS2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Z84me2 View Post
    Well, this is somewhat timely. Just had an oil change done this morning and they identified my defective taillight. And just finished submitting my issue with Mr. Reid. Thanks lots for this.
    So sorry to hear about your tail light. It really is just a matter of time for all of us

    Thank you for taking the time to file.

    What was it Ben Franklin said? "We can hang together or hang separately"

  27. #27
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    I understand that new EU red/amber tail lights have been produced in 2016 and are now available under a dedicated part number identifying this new production. Does anyone know if new US red/red lights have also been produced and what the part number would be?

    Thanks
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  28. #28
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Z8DinanS2 View Post
    So sorry to hear about your tail light. It really is just a matter of time for all of us

    Thank you for taking the time to file.

    What was it Ben Franklin said? "We can hang together or hang separately"
    Your welcome. Again, thanks for the contact info and tips. Easy and fast, like you said. And the gal at the DOT volunteered, saying that with enough complaints, that there will be a likely higher possibility of them taking some sort of action.

    In my case, on the driver's side, the upper row of lights (blinker) is out, along with the side blinker in the front, also on the driver's side. A coincidence, or maybe just a relay switch, I am hoping that's affecting both, rather than the actual bulb. Dealer wants $175 for an evaluation, so might just go ahead and get it looked at and see if it's something simple like that.

  29. #29
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    I have received a verbal approval from my dealer in Switzerland to replace both tail lights under the BMW "Goodwill Campaign" / PUMA. That being said, I have also been told that the left EU tail light will be out of stock until sometimes in November... I will keep you posted.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  30. #30
    Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by bclaude View Post
    I have also been told that the left EU tail light will be out of stock until sometimes in November... I will keep you posted.
    It looks like the problems are not over yet
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

  31. #31
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    Wow, They are burning thru inventory quickly. I received my EU units (both) 2 weeks ago. Guess I got lucky.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  32. #32
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7
    does the Goodwill campaign applies to the tail brake light ?

    Mine is on failure

  33. #33
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    If you mean the center rear brake light on top of the trunk lid, the answer is no the goodwill campaign doesn't cover that.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  34. #34
    Z8 Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by bclaude View Post
    If you mean the center rear brake light on top of the trunk lid, the answer is no the goodwill campaign doesn't cover that.
    It not a neon light ?

    Thanks

  35. #35
    Team Z8 zed8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    313
    The campaign only covers left and right tail lights. Front neon turn signal lights or side led turn signal lights are not covered as well.
    Hattat

    AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

    PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

  36. #36
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    Today I received a call from my BMW dealer in Switzerland confirming he had a new set of tail lights in stock and to schedule an appointment for replacement under the goodwill campaign. He confirmed that BMW had already reimbursed him for the cost of the new tail lights and that no further approval was needed in order to proceed with the free installation. It's a bit early to claim victory but it looks as if the stars may finally be lined up right. I will keep you posted.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  37. #37
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81

    New tail lights being installed under goodwill initiative

    My new tail lights are finally being installed under the PUMA/Goodwill initiative.
    One was manufactured in March 2016 and the other in June 2016.
    Given the stated price of these units, it is hard to accept that BMW has not improved the seal around the wire harness, the wires were already bear straight out of the box, see pictures below. The dealer offered to improve the seal with sikaflex...

    Since the rear bumper had to be taken off to install the lights, I am using the opportunity to replace the rear US bumper shell with the Euro spec. Of course I will retain all the original parts so that the car can be restored to its original state if necessary or if it ever returns to the US.

    Z8 owners in Switzerland should feel free to send me a private message for details as to how the PUMA case was handled.

    Apologies for the two upside down pictures. I posted them right side up and they came out that way. I Then tried to post them upside down and figured they would come out right but they stubbornly came out the wrong way...
             
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  38. #38
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    3M 5200 is a Marine silicone sealant that might be better than Sikaflex (I have used both) Mostly because it shrinks less with age.

    Did Your rear bumper come painted or did they paint to match? Did they have to sweep up onto the fenders to get the blend correct?

    I ask because my rear valance connectors were damaged by the BMW dealer when I did the Quaiffe LSD install and I know I am on borrowed time. I wondered if the Endura (flexible plastic) pieces came painted or in Primer.

    Thanks for the update.
    .
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  39. #39
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    The bumper facia was flat black when I saw it. I don't know whether it came primed or not but will definitely need to be painted to match. I specifically asked them not to touch the rest of the car including sweeping up on to the fenders or cut the wire harnesses to convert from US to EU lights. Other than painting and swapping the bumper facia and tail lights, the instruction was to leave everything original. It was work in progress when I last saw it and I will report back once the job is completed. Swiss folks are generally meticulous so I am hopeful.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  40. #40
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    New EU and bumper facia and tail lights installed. Paint match sensational, can't see any difference in color and finish. Original US tail lights and bumper facia nicely bubble wrapped to keep the option to return the car to its original configuration open. Very very pleased with the result. Big thanks to all those who have worked on the new tail light project!
             
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  41. #41
    Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    918
    splendid job!
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

  42. #42
    Looks so good with the EU tail lights, I far prefer them to the all red USA ones.
    Andrew Macpherson

    Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

  43. #43
    Looks absolutely FANTASTIC!
    Skip Hammerman

    2002 BMW Z8 - Meisterschaft GT, PP installed, CDV delete
    2013 BMW X3
    2015 Porsche 911 Targa 4S

  44. #44
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81

    Help needed with rewiring or reprogramming of the CPU after US to EU tail lights swap

    Thanks guys,

    I did run into an issue though.

    As it stands, and with the US setup on the car, the tail lights work in every respect except that when I step on the brakes, both amber turn signals come on (steady) as opposed to the lower red section of the tail light.

    This was expected and my instructions to the dealer was to reprogram the CPU on the car to use the EU setup code as opposed to splicing wire harnesses. The dealer was willing to do that but needed the cooperation of the factory to provide the relevant code. The answer from the factory was that the conversion is "prohibited" and they refused to provide the necessary code... Needless to say, I am not impressed.

    As opposed to splicing the wire harnesses, the dealer offered to move pins around the connectors behind the tail lights to get to the desired result. This would be a clean alternative to programming the CPU and it would allow to revert back to red tail lights if ever needed. The concern is that this may cause a difference in power load that the CPU might interpret as a fault. In turn this could leave me with a permanent fault warning on the dash. Also the neon lights are finicky, I am told they run on 5V as opposed to 12V, and we want to proceed gingerly as opposed to risking blowing up one of these "precious" new tail lights.

    It's winter time here and the roads are covered with salt and grime, and I am not driving the car in any event. No point rushing and do it wrong or poorly. There is definitely a tried ans tested way to do it, many Z8 have been so converted and work just fine.

    Any suggestion or experience with this that I could put to good use?

    Thanks!
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  45. #45

  46. #46
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Looks so good with the EU tail lights, I far prefer them to the all red USA ones.
    Me Too. Fantastic match on the paint.

    Shocked on the Factory's response on the code. Why?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  47. #47
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    They claim they don't want to have a mismatch of US and EU codes on the same car. I think it is for their convenience as they troubleshoot, they want you entirely in one or the other category. If a dealer were to reinstall the software as per US factory settings without further thought, you would leave the dealer with your tail lights wrong and they don't want to have to manage grey area cases.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  48. #48
    Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    918
    BMW is afraid of or had legal issues ( I forgot) concerning the US-EU conversion
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

  49. #49
    DSC Off
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    57
    I believe that another forum member ("mrcjackon") got round this by buying and fitting an EU CPU.

  50. #50
    Team Z8 zed8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    313
    Quote Originally Posted by bclaude View Post
    Thanks guys,

    I did run into an issue though.

    As it stands, and with the US setup on the car, the tail lights work in every respect except that when I step on the brakes, both amber turn signals come on (steady) as opposed to the lower red section of the tail light.

    This was expected and my instructions to the dealer was to reprogram the CPU on the car to use the EU setup code as opposed to splicing wire harnesses. The dealer was willing to do that but needed the cooperation of the factory to provide the relevant code. The answer from the factory was that the conversion is "prohibited" and they refused to provide the necessary code... Needless to say, I am not impressed.

    As opposed to splicing the wire harnesses, the dealer offered to move pins around the connectors behind the tail lights to get to the desired result. This would be a clean alternative to programming the CPU and it would allow to revert back to red tail lights if ever needed. The concern is that this may cause a difference in power load that the CPU might interpret as a fault. In turn this could leave me with a permanent fault warning on the dash. Also the neon lights are finicky, I am told they run on 5V as opposed to 12V, and we want to proceed gingerly as opposed to risking blowing up one of these "precious" new tail lights.

    It's winter time here and the roads are covered with salt and grime, and I am not driving the car in any event. No point rushing and do it wrong or poorly. There is definitely a tried ans tested way to do it, many Z8 have been so converted and work just fine.

    Any suggestion or experience with this that I could put to good use?

    Thanks!
    Hello Bruno, in which city are you located? I talked to my coder and he told me he can remote code your car. But he wants to know where you are. Because He is working with several coders across Europe and you have to be connected at one of these coders.
    Hattat

    AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

    PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

  51. #51
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    Hello guys,

    Apologies for the late reply, I was traveling.

    Hattat, the car is at the BMW dealership in Martigny, Switzerland. I sent you a PM.

    There is an Alpina dealer in Lichtenstein who knows how to do it but he is 450km away and its winter time over here. He told me it requires both a programming of the CPU and a connector pin swap...

    I wiii reach out to mrcjackon as well.

    Thanks for the suggestions, very much obliged.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  52. #52
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by bclaude View Post
    Hello guys,

    Apologies for the late reply, I was traveling.

    Hattat, the car is at the BMW dealership in Martigny, Switzerland. I sent you a PM.

    There is an Alpina dealer in Lichtenstein who knows how to do it but he is 450km away and its winter time over here. He told me it requires both a programming of the CPU and a connector pin swap...

    I wiii reach out to mrcjackon as well.

    Thanks for the suggestions, very much obliged.

    Hello Bruno, I have the same Problem here in Dortmund but my dealer solved it, you can contact me via PM to get more Details.
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

  53. #53
    RHD Z88 Peter Koh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    43
    Hi Bruno,
    I am doing a taillight conversion shortly from US to EU. Could you please advise as to how you resolved the both amber turn signal come on when step on the brakes?[
    Would love to hear from you soon. Cheers Peter Koh QUOTE=bclaude;52591]Thanks guys,

    I did run into an issue though.

    As it stands, and with the US setup on the car, the tail lights work in every respect except that when I step on the brakes, both amber turn signals come on (steady) as opposed to the lower red section of the tail light.

    This was expected and my instructions to the dealer was to reprogram the CPU on the car to use the EU setup code as opposed to splicing wire harnesses. The dealer was willing to do that but needed the cooperation of the factory to provide the relevant code. The answer from the factory was that the conversion is "prohibited" and they refused to provide the necessary code... Needless to say, I am not impressed.

    As opposed to splicing the wire harnesses, the dealer offered to move pins around the connectors behind the tail lights to get to the desired result. This would be a clean alternative to programming the CPU and it would allow to revert back to red tail lights if ever needed. The concern is that this may cause a difference in power load that the CPU might interpret as a fault. In turn this could leave me with a permanent fault warning on the dash. Also the neon lights are finicky, I am told they run on 5V as opposed to 12V, and we want to proceed gingerly as opposed to risking blowing up one of these "precious" new tail lights.

    It's winter time here and the roads are covered with salt and grime, and I am not driving the car in any event. No point rushing and do it wrong or poorly. There is definitely a tried ans tested way to do it, many Z8 have been so converted and work just fine.

    Any suggestion or experience with this that I could put to good use?

    Thanks![/QUOTE]

  54. #54
    DSC Off bclaude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    81
    Unfortunately, I haven't solved the issue. After keeping my car for 3 weeks the BMW dealer called me to say there was nothing they could do and that I needed to pick up the car as is, unbelievable! In a normal situation I would raise hell, in this case I combined the goodwill campaign and a conversion which puts me on shaky grounds to begin with...

    There are two types of BMW dealers, those who treat us like fellons because we had the audacity to import a car into "their" market and the others who are pleased and even honored to work on any Z8. Unfortunately BMW Switzerland belongs to the first category.

    It it is winter time here and I will not be driving the car for a while anyways. Max Heidegger AG is an Alpina dealer in Lichtenstein who has the competence and the willingness to make the change, I am told it is an easy job that takes less than an hour. It is a nice drive though the mountains from here and I am scheduled to go there when the weather turns.

    I will be there when the work gets done and will gather all the info I can to share on this forum.

    For anyone who lives in my neck of the woods, Max Heidegger AG is THE most knowledgeable place to get your Z8 worked on. BMW Switzerland is outrageously expensive and arrogant.

    My daily drivers since the mid 90's ave all, without exception, been BMW's and I expected my next ones to be BMW's. I was in the midst of replacing my daily driver when all this unfolded and decided to go for a Porsche Macan Turbo, deposit made, car ordered!
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

    2003 Stratus/Crema

  55. #55
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Koh View Post
    Hi Bruno,
    I am doing a taillight conversion shortly from US to EU. Could you please advise as to how you resolved the both amber turn signal come on when step on the brakes?[
    Would love to hear from you soon. Cheers Peter Koh QUOTE=bclaude;52591]Thanks guys,

    I did run into an issue though.

    As it stands, and with the US setup on the car, the tail lights work in every respect except that when I step on the brakes, both amber turn signals come on (steady) as opposed to the lower red section of the tail light.

    This was expected and my instructions to the dealer was to reprogram the CPU on the car to use the EU setup code as opposed to splicing wire harnesses. The dealer was willing to do that but needed the cooperation of the factory to provide the relevant code. The answer from the factory was that the conversion is "prohibited" and they refused to provide the necessary code... Needless to say, I am not impressed.

    As opposed to splicing the wire harnesses, the dealer offered to move pins around the connectors behind the tail lights to get to the desired result. This would be a clean alternative to programming the CPU and it would allow to revert back to red tail lights if ever needed. The concern is that this may cause a difference in power load that the CPU might interpret as a fault. In turn this could leave me with a permanent fault warning on the dash. Also the neon lights are finicky, I am told they run on 5V as opposed to 12V, and we want to proceed gingerly as opposed to risking blowing up one of these "precious" new tail lights.

    It's winter time here and the roads are covered with salt and grime, and I am not driving the car in any event. No point rushing and do it wrong or poorly. There is definitely a tried ans tested way to do it, many Z8 have been so converted and work just fine.

    Any suggestion or experience with this that I could put to good use?

    Thanks!
    [/QUOTE]

    Hi Peter,
    I have my US car in Dortmund at the dealer with the same issue. Is spoke to Bruno the other day and we shared our experiences. Please contact my via PM to get more details from me as it is not that easy. At the moment it looks like that there might be a problem with the new ECE lights, I will have more details by end of next week.
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

  56. #56
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by bclaude View Post
    Unfortunately, I haven't solved the issue. After keeping my car for 3 weeks the BMW dealer called me to say there was nothing they could do and that I needed to pick up the car as is, unbelievable! In a normal situation I would raise hell, in this case I combined the goodwill campaign and a conversion which puts me on shaky grounds to begin with...

    There are two types of BMW dealers, those who treat us like fellons because we had the audacity to import a car into "their" market and the others who are pleased and even honored to work on any Z8. Unfortunately BMW Switzerland belongs to the first category.

    It it is winter time here and I will not be driving the car for a while anyways. Max Heidegger AG is an Alpina dealer in Lichtenstein who has the competence and the willingness to make the change, I am told it is an easy job that takes less than an hour. It is a nice drive though the mountains from here and I am scheduled to go there when the weather turns.

    I will be there when the work gets done and will gather all the info I can to share on this forum.

    For anyone who lives in my neck of the woods, Max Heidegger AG is THE most knowledgeable place to get your Z8 worked on. BMW Switzerland is outrageously expensive and arrogant.
    Hi Bruno,

    sorry to hear that from you, I thought you were on a good way. My car is still at the dealer as there might be a problem with the new ECE tail lights. Everything else is done and working nicely. As spoken before I will give some more details in the private part of the forum as soon as my car is ready on the road.
    By the way, you are right, that BMW Europe does not want to get cars reimported, but at the end with the Z8 they made an exception at least with my car.
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

  57. #57
    RHD Z88 Peter Koh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    43
    Hi Karstan
    Thank you for your reply and I await for your finding and hopefully all good news. Cheers Peter Koh

    Hi Peter,
    I have my US car in Dortmund at the dealer with the same issue. Is spoke to Bruno the other day and we shared our experiences. Please contact my via PM to get more details from me as it is not that easy. At the moment it looks like that there might be a problem with the new ECE lights, I will have more details by end of next week.[/QUOTE]

  58. #58
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    What kind of problem with the new ECE lights?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  59. #59
    DSC Off
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    57
    Hi guys,
    My US spec Z8 arrives in England next week. I have ordered some ECE lights from BMW and the guy who is fitting them has converted quite a few US spec tail lights before......but not any of the new batch. I too am very interested in the findings. Karsten - don't forget me if you have some info please?
    Best
    Peter

  60. #60
    RHD Z88 Peter Koh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPortugal View Post
    Hi guys,
    My US spec Z8 arrives in England next week. I have ordered some ECE lights from BMW and the guy who is fitting them has converted quite a few US spec tail lights before......but not any of the new batch. I too am very interested in the findings. Karsten - don't forget me if you have some info please?
    Best
    Peter
    Hi Peter, while we are waiting for Karsten to get back to us. Could you please tell me how much did you pay for a pair of ECE taillights? Also, are you planning to do RHD conversion on your Z8 to be road legal? Cheers Peter Koh

  61. #61
    DSC Off
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    57
    Hi Peter,

    The lights cost 3.5k GBP. This included some small additional items that apparently are required to fit them to an early car (2001).

    You can register and drive LHD cars in the UK, no problem.

    Cheers

    Peter

  62. #62
    RHD Z88 Peter Koh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    43
    Thanks mate. I take that the price 3.5kGBP was for a pair.

  63. #63
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterPortugal View Post
    Hi Peter,

    The lights cost 3.5k GBP. This included some small additional items that apparently are required to fit them to an early car (2001).

    Cheers

    Peter
    I have an early car and bought a pair of ECE tailights to put on the shelf for that inevitable day that will come. I was not told of any additional parts needed. could you share which parts those were?

    Thanks
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  64. #64
    DSC Off
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    57
    Hi guys. the 3.5k GBP was for a pair. Once I get the parts delivered I shall post the part numbers / description of the additional parts.

  65. #65
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    Dear All,
    no more news today, there are still some problems with one tail light, the other one is working fine so far.
    The only advice I have at the moment is, do not buy a tail light to store it just in case, because you will loose warranty after two years even thow you have not used it.
    I will get back the forum after easter with more details, I hope my car will be fine by then.
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

  66. #66
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Z803 View Post
    Dear All,
    The only advice I have at the moment is, do not buy a tail light to store it just in case, because you will loose warranty after two years even thow you have not used it.

    Catch 22

    Don't buy because the warranty will run out, but if you wait until you HAVE to have one, it is likely to be unavailable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Z803 View Post

    My car is still at the dealer as there might be a problem with the new ECE tail lights.
    Is this a problem with the ECE lights in general or just in your application?

    Thank you
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  67. #67
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    BMW stated there should not be a problem with tail lights any longer concerning avaibility, but who knows. On the other hand what is a new tail light worth if it is not working?

    it is not a problem with my application, it looks like a failure in some ECE lights, not in all
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

  68. #68
    DSC Off
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    57
    Hi Karsten,

    Do I understand correctly that the problem is not in reconfiguring the CPU but that one of your new tail lights is actually faulty "straight out of the box"?

    Regards

    Peter

  69. #69
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    Yes, more details after Easter
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

  70. #70
    RHD Z88 Peter Koh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    43
    Thanks Karstan. Looking forward to hear from you after Easter. Cheers PK

  71. #71
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Koh View Post
    Thanks Karstan. Looking forward to hear from you after Easter. Cheers PK
    +1 ​I too am anxious to hear.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  72. #72
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Z803 View Post
    Yes, more details after Easter

    Hi Karsten,

    Wondering if you could share what is going on with the ECE tail light replacement units at this juncture?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  73. #73
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    Dear All,

    the problem seems to be the parking light bulb, that is working for a 100 times and than for some reason not! The mechanic at BMW tried the switch for the light each more than 200 times and after that both tail lights are now >>
    working but the former once did not do so. So be careful and have a look on it, because you might not see the fault by the first time and while you are driving you won't see the default anyway.
    BMW Dortmund talked to the guys in Munich but they were not able to help. They are happy that they are able to provide the new tail lights.
    So just try and see wether they are working or not.
    Mine are fine and I am just waiting for some nice weather. to drive the Z8.

    That was all as I know.>>
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

  74. #74
    Z8 Guru 2112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    791
    Hmmm,

    By parking, you mean the amber running light? Is the switch you mentioned in the dash? Did it get removed for testing or just turned on/off?

    With the labor being so involved in getting these installed, I wonder if there is a way for us to cycle these on a bench first

    thank you Karsten.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

  75. #75
    Sport Button On
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    30
    What I ment is the red parking light = break light, not the indicator light. BMW installed the new lights but not the bumper before testing, that was the good part. I do not know how to test them in forhand. The switch is the main light switch on the left hand side of the dash.
    Best regards from Dortmund

    Karsten
    Alpina Z8 #550/555
    AH61420

Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 38
    Last Post: April 14th 2017, 12:11
  2. Tail Lights - Breaking News
    By dwz8 in forum Z8 Club Information
    Replies: 164
    Last Post: September 6th 2016, 18:37
  3. Tail lights
    By Z-acht in forum Z8 Chat Room
    Replies: 129
    Last Post: August 25th 2016, 00:16
  4. Tail lights
    By Z-acht in forum Body, Interior and Exterior
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: October 21st 2013, 14:33