Thread: Service / VANOS

DSC Off

Service / VANOS

Guys,My car is in for service (in UK) and the garage just came back with this...----------------------------------------------"Also noted that a Check Service Light is currently showing on your dashboard,our technician assumed this was to do with your service and would reset after carrying out the appropriate service. The light was reset and did go out after servicing and clearing the system of any fault codes stored. That warning light is now back on we have checked into it and have found out that this warning is the American equivalent of our engine management light. After carrying out diagnosis to find out why this light is showing we found faults stored for the Vanos engine timing system and traced the fault to the exhaust camshaft sensor Only exhaust camshaft sensor showing faulty but the technician has advised due to the engine being a V8 to replace both exhaust and inlet camshaft sensors."-------------------------------------------------------------------Does this sound right? I know there has been a lot of talk about this in the past.RegardsPeterSorry for the format of the message I just cannot get it to accept the darn return key !!

I am by no means an expert on these issues, but the recommendation to replace all four camshaft position sensors (2 intake, two exhaust) does sound appropriate to me. If a failed sensor is sending incorrect signals, the entire ignition timing system would likely be thrown out of kilter. These sensors are normal wear items, if he is replacing one it probably makes sense to do them all at the same time.

DSC Off
    Thanks Boomster. I am getting both changed...for the princely sum of 600 USD.

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Note that I recently got a similar code (intake in my case) and I basically traced it to wiring issues rather than the sensor itself. Worth having them check that first (unplug, plug etc.)

DSC Off
    Screenap - thanks for your reply. I would hope that the dealer tried things like that before charging me handsomely for new sensors.....I may be naive !!

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPortugal View Post
    Screenap - thanks for your reply. I would hope that the dealer tried things like that before charging me handsomely for new sensors.....I may be naive !!
    Please let us know how things turn out.