Thread: Radio won't come on

Sport Button On

Radio won't come on

I just started the car for the first time in a couple of months (I have been out of the country) and everything works, but the radio/cd/etc will not come on. Do you think it is a fuse? Any suggestions? I am heading out of town again tomorrow so any help is appreciated.

I would certainly check the fuses before anything else. The radios have been pretty trouble free to the best of my knowledge.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I know of several cars that have had various issues with the radios, including total failure. I would check fuses first, but I wouldn't be shocked if it's a bad unit.
    thegunguy

DSC Off

Radios have had some problems....

.....as some of you know I replaced my whole unit. Head, speakers, amps, etc. and continue to be happy I did. But I'd be sure to determine if it is a recurring problem before resorted to this remedy.

My car did the same thing after sitting for an extended period. Even had the car on the charger, so I didn't really suspect the battery. Did it for about 3 days.

Then it just started working again.

Z8 Novice

Try removing and re-inserting fuse on back of head unit

I had the radio-not-working problem following a dead battery episode. I eventually removed the head unit and the fuse on the back. Re-inserted the fuse, re-installed the head unit, and everything worked.

Pretty easy to pull the head unit. Flip up tabs on left and right sides of front faceplate, then use wrench (allen/hex wrench I believe) to unfasten unit. Then pull to remove.

There is a fuse on the back of the head unit. I removed and re-inserted it (it was not blown) and then the radio worked.

This could just be random, or it could be the fix.

- Jkh21

Sport Button On
    I'll give that a try! Thanks!

DSC Off

radio Z8

I have now my third radio in the car. One was replaced under guaranty. The second I had to pay myself.My Z8 is often used (118000 km).
    The damage can occur by changing or disconnecting the battery. If you connect the battery again you get at once full electric power on the memory of the radio. It is importend to keep 12 volt power on the system by an adaptor.
    Z8Ros
    The Netherlands

Radio wont come on

I have the very same problem. I'm sure it's because the battery is very weak. in fact after four batteries in six years, it's time for an Optima or other batteries I've seen you guys discussing over the years.

Z8 Novice
    I have just experienced a radio problem too. No battery issues, just heard a few pops from the speakers and the head unit went mostly dead. (I could still see the station numbers on the LCD display but that was all). I will let you know what the dealer says the problem is.

Z8Mania
    Ive had this before and then it got better?! Curious to know what it is.