Thread: Proposed Maintenance Master Plan

Proposed Maintenance Master Plan

I've been searching the forum and owner's manual for developing a 10-year look ahead maintenance master plan for my 2002 Z8. In the spirit that feedback is a gift, I share this proposal with the Chat Room board before considering posting a generic version on the open forum.

A couple of my own comments. The original owner of my car apparently never used the cloth rear window protector, and in my case I plan to replace the scratched plastic window in 2012. The transmission and differential oil changes on a biannual cycle feels a bit too frequent, but since that was one of the recommendations in the 10-year fluid thread it continues. The battery was replaced in 2011, and this reset the 5-year cycle.

My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

I like it, what a good idea, clean, simple and easy to follow.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    I would love to use this as a template as well. So well done.

Can't think of any feedback other than possibly adding full leather and paint rejuvenation one a years.
    2003 Z8 Black/Red

I have a very similar schedule that I keep all my BMWs on. The main difference between yours and mine is that I replace the coolant and belts every two years. Arguably, changing the belts every two years is a bit of overkill, but since I do all the work myself, it is a very easy job.

As far as the coolant goes, by the time two years roll by there is enough electrolysis (you might want to test your cooling system to see) in the cooling system that it could cause damage.
    C.A. Cardenas (AKA Dan)2003 (last one?) Z8 - Hellrot / Sport Rot Original Owner - Munich Tourist Delivery-- Others --1988 M6 - 32K mi. - Original Owner1989 DINAN 750iL - 73K mi. - Original Owner1998 M3 - 63K mi. - Original Owner2015 X5 (F15) Diesel - Daily Driver2008 Porsche Turbo Cab - 9K mi. (Mezger motor/6-sp. manual)

Z8Mania
    This is wonderful idea and great execution. Thank you very much. Happy Holidays!!

MS Word Document of Updated Maintenance 10-Year Plan

Thanks for the feedback on the proposed 10-year maintenance master plan! Attached is an updated MS Word version of the document. I hope this plan will be helpful to other Z8 owners in developing their own maintenance strategy.
    My Best,

Ed

DSC Off
    The only item that could be added is cleaning out the debri in and around the radiator once every 5 years. One doesn't see the collection of leaves, etc., so it doesn't get done, except possibly at the time of replacing hoses or belts. Some dissasembly required.

Version 3.0: Radiator debris and soft top strings

Thanks for the additional feedback on the plan, and it has been updated with this your suggestion for removing debris from the radiator. Last year, I used a "pick up" tool to remove the leaves from my radiator without disassembling the car http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog.

Other enhancements to the v3.0 master plan include inspecting the strings to the soft top twice per year. In addition, the convertible top replacement includes a new rear window, so a range of 10 - 15 years was shown for its replacement and the rear window reference was removed.

I hope this document helps other owners with planning and budgeting for maintaining their Z8.
    My Best,

Ed

Great plan, and good tip on that leaf grabber too, thanks!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

As I recall, the radiator disassebly is because there is a second exchanger behind the one in front. You have to remove the forward one the get to the behind.
    thegunguy