Thread: Fuel Tank Pump died at 55k miles

Z8 Novice

Fuel Tank Pump died at 55k miles

By way of sharing, I just purchased my 2000 Z8 and within a week it was dead in my garage. Swapped out the battery and still would not start. Checked the fuses and the fuel pump fuse was blown, so replaced the fuse, tried to start and immediately blew the fuse again. Had the car towed to the dealer, and surprisingly there was another Z8 in the service bay at the same time, with exactly the same issue and very similar mileage. The cause of the issue is a dead fuel tank pump, so that's being replaced now on 2 different Z8s, so it seems like this could be a common issue. So while most members of this forum will likely never see mileage over 50k on their cars, if you do and all of a sudden your car refuses to start, the likely culprit is your fuel pump. Takes a week to get a new one from Germany, so be prepared.

Team Z8
    A trip to the dealership last year showed my fuel pump was dying/low fuel pressure. There's a previous thread here that had several of us sharing the same issue.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by ron's rocket View Post
    A trip to the dealership last year showed my fuel pump was dying/low fuel pressure. There's a previous thread here that had several of us sharing the same issue.
    Apologies Ron, I didn't mean to be repetitive, I searched the forum for similar posts and did not find any, so wanted to share my experience. https://www.bmwz8.us/forum/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

Team Z8
    No apologies needed, just bringing attention that this seems to be a growing problem in the last few years.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    I don't have that many miles and I think my replacement pump is showing signs the the end is near.Thinking about putting #3 in myself. If I recall, #2 took two weeks to arrive from Germany.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I replaced the fuel pump in Nancy Drew at a little over 100,000 miles (okay, prolly 105,000); it was intermittently going on strike. Of course, it was my own damn fault for running the tank dry in Oklahoma and cooking the fuel pump! Now I try never to run below a quarter of a tank, since the pump is cooled by the gasoline. But on my latest cross-country run, I had one stretch of 320 miles before I could find me some Shell V-Power Nitro Plus!

I'm curious as to what the symptoms are for a fuel pump ready to fail. Presumably other than being stranded by the side of the road!

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness 2112's Avatar
    Mine was failure to start. Push button and get a single click. Others may have had different symptoms.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Failing fuel pump

Boomster say: "I'm curious as to what the symptoms are for a fuel pump ready to fail. Presumably other than being stranded by the side of the road!" Well, that was certainly the most obvious symptom for me.... But invariably, the car could be started after sitting there for a while. However, these incidents became more and more frequent, so—it was time, Captain.