Thread: Convertible top won't go up

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar

Convertible top won't go up

This morning I went to put the top up on my Z8 Alpina and nothing happened. I tried several times pushing the button both up and down but the top would not move. The top warning light was flashing in the tachometer. I called Matt at Peter Pan BMW and he said he had seen this problem several times before and to try the following. He stayed on the phone with me while I did it. He told me to disconnect both the positive and negative cables from the battery and wait a few minutes, which I did. Then he told me to reconnect them, positive cable first and then the negative cable. Then he told me to get in the car, shut the door and start the car. Then he told me to hold the top button in the down position and the windows should both roll up, which they did. Then he told me the push the top button in the up position and the top should go up, which it did. Needless to say, I was very happy that what I thought may have been an expensive repair turned out to be a simple fix. Matt told me he figured out this system through trial and error but has found it to work when the top button won't operate the top. Just thought I would share this so in case this should happen to anyone else you know the remedy ahead of time.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    Marty, I've had this problem several times and what's worked for me is the following:

Lowering both windows and then raising them. This resets something in the computer and then the top works. Go figure.

Anyway Id try my windows down and up thing before you start disconnecting the battery. I guess the Z8 is simple enough but with these modern cars disconnecting the battery is usually not recommended. Also you can send one serious surge through the system when you reconnect it so be careful.

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    Hopefully it won't happen again but if it does I will try your method. Thanks for the advice!
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Z8Mania
    I also had my top stop functioning when it was about 9/10ths of the way engaged. turns out a micro switch failed. There is a manual system you can use- its in the instruction book. It only took me 30 minutes to figure that out while I was freaking out on a hot day. At least I got it fully closed. These cars are getting on in age a bit so we're finding out all the little nick nacks.

I've had it happen too once about three years ago. I just turned the key off, took it out, waited a few seconds and tried again. After a couple of go rounds of that it worked fine and has never done it again!?
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

It's posts like these that have me comming back to the forum over and over.Usefull info that sticks in the brain when something like this occurs. Joshb

Very very helpful post. I was away from home and when came time to park the car and close the top, I pressed the button and nothing happened. I zipped my iPhone out of my pocket and searched the forum for solutions and found this post. The first thing I did was the simpler procedure of lowering both windows and then raise them and I was back in business (Marty's more thorough procedure was my next hope if the simple one did not work). THANKS!
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

2 years later same problem, the top would not close any more. Rolled both windows down and then back up and everything is back to normal.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema

Well, when it happened to me, I tried rolling windows up and down and turning off the engine. Not only would the top not go up, but the little squeeze controller stopped locking it into place. Turns out that a wiring harness inside the top broke. There are two such harnesses. So, had to replace them both or risk replacing the wrong one. The labor is the big cost because Matt had to thread the harnesses through the top manually. It's a bear. Once the harnesses were replaced, all good.
    Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

Yikes, sorry to hear, but happy its all fixed!
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.