Thread: Changes to programming

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Changes to programming

Hi,

I recently acquired a Z8 and have been absolutely loving it! As I figure out the intricacies of the car, a few questions have arisen. They mainly deal with the different programmable elements of the car - i.e. those that need to be done by the dealership. Does anyone know of a list somewhere that details what they are? As well, I know on my Audi there is a cable that one can buy to change them... is there such a thing on this car?

Much appreciated!

PW

I think everything on the Z8 is OBD ll compliant, and the only tuning house who've done software changes that I'd trust are Dinan.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

If your referring to programming the alarm, door locks, etc page 49 (excerpt below) of the owners manual has a partial list of dealer programmable functions. My car had the headlight programmed to come on at all times, which I changed after I took ownership.

Vehicle Memory, Key Memory

What the system can do
    No doubt you have reflected at one time or another on how great it would be if you could permanently configure your vehicle's various features and adjustments to mirror your own indi- vidual preferences. In developing the Z8, BMW has incorporated a number of options for personal adjustment that can be programmed into your vehicle by your BMW center.
    Your BMW center can provide you with details on the capabilities of the Vehicle Memory and Key Memory systems. Below a few examples:
    The available configuration data fall into two categories, according to whether their primary orientation is the vehicle – Vehicle Memory – or the individual – Key Memory. Provided that each person has a separate remote-control key, you can have your BMW center enter adjustment data for as many as four different individuals into the system.
    > Deactivate/activate the Follow me home lamps function, refer to page 69.
    The system then relies on a bilateral data exchange to identify the individual user and dial in the selected settings whenever the remote-control unit is used to disengage the door locks.
    Owner's Manual you will find this symbol, indicating that the equipment or system described in the adjacent section can be preset for automatic adjustment using the Vehicle or Key Memory.<
    A Vehicle Memory sampler:
    > Different signals as acknowledge- ment for locking/unlocking of the vehicle, refer to pages 32, 34
    A Key Memory sampler:
    > Locking vehicle after driving off, refer to page 36.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    The most important program is the one running inside your mind

Tail lights coding - ZCS

Dear Z8 friends, i need your help !
    i brought my car to Europe and to get compliance, I need to reprogram the way the tail lights & break lights are functioning.

On the Euro version (with orange blinkers - I purchased and have them installed), the blinkers do not light up when you brake. On the US version, when you brake, it lights up the brake light and the blinker at the same time.

On the Z8, the codes for the LM (lights module) is called a ZCS code. I think it was the type of code before 2009.

Since BMW Europe does not want to touch the codes, I brought the car to a garage who reprograms foreign cars. But he does not know how to read and modify the ZCS code !

I need to find someone who knows how to do this and that could help us do it here in France. It could be the knowledge of a software or hardware needed to reprogram the tail lights. It could be help over the phone, or the address of a garage who has done it in France.

Would you be able to help me, please ?

Thank you very much !

JC

Quote Originally Posted by EDEZ8 View Post
    If your referring to programming the alarm, door locks, etc page 49 (excerpt below) of the owners manual has a partial list of dealer programmable functions. My car had the headlight programmed to come on at all times, which I changed after I took ownership.

Vehicle Memory, Key Memory

What the system can do
    No doubt you have reflected at one time or another on how great it would be if you could permanently configure your vehicle's various features and adjustments to mirror your own indi- vidual preferences. In developing the Z8, BMW has incorporated a number of options for personal adjustment that can be programmed into your vehicle by your BMW center.
    Your BMW center can provide you with details on the capabilities of the Vehicle Memory and Key Memory systems. Below a few examples:
    The available configuration data fall into two categories, according to whether their primary orientation is the vehicle – Vehicle Memory – or the individual – Key Memory. Provided that each person has a separate remote-control key, you can have your BMW center enter adjustment data for as many as four different individuals into the system.
    > Deactivate/activate the Follow me home lamps function, refer to page 69.
    The system then relies on a bilateral data exchange to identify the individual user and dial in the selected settings whenever the remote-control unit is used to disengage the door locks.
    Owner's Manual you will find this symbol, indicating that the equipment or system described in the adjacent section can be preset for automatic adjustment using the Vehicle or Key Memory.<
    A Vehicle Memory sampler:
    > Different signals as acknowledge- ment for locking/unlocking of the vehicle, refer to pages 32, 34
    A Key Memory sampler:
    > Locking vehicle after driving off, refer to page 36.
    60737 - Silver / Red - Performance Package

I would absolutely reach out to the Z8 Club in the EU as they may have an answer for that.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Thank you very much Andrew.
    It makes sense and I will do. It is just that these guys don’t even reply if you don’t take the 400€ membership, which is not how I envision the spirit of such a club...
    60737 - Silver / Red - Performance Package

Quote Originally Posted by jc.guilbaud View Post
    Thank you very much Andrew.
    It makes sense and I will do. It is just that these guys don’t even reply if you don’t take the 400€ membership, which is not how I envision the spirit of such a club...
    Being one of the “guys and gals” of the Z8 club spending hours to answer emails, telephone calls (most of them to non-members) I don’t recognize this in general. But there are situations it happens…

The €400 “membership” is not correct. The yearly membership costs are €200. When you enter the club there is a one time €200 administration fee.

We all love our car(s) we care for them and want to keep them running. Please keep in mind that the club is a vital partner in this effort to keep our cars running. There are (sometimes weekly) contacts with BMW Classic about this subject and the 50 years parts promise. That is the spirit of the club and to continue this the club needs to represent a big group of owners. No members…no club…no running Z8 in the future.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

No sure where you are located but the following BMW Alpina dealer I took my US Z8 to get the tail lights reprogrammed is: http://www.bmw-heidegger.ch/They have a large Z8 clientele and are a fantastic go to place for us who live within driving distance of Lichtenstein.
    ------------------------
    Regards,
    Bruno

2003 Stratus/Crema