Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Thread: Central rear view mirror discoloration

DSC Off
    There's a neon place in Oceanside, CA near my house. They build neon signs, repair neon, recharge neon, etc... I had them recharge the neon on an antique Glo-Dial clock that I have and they did a perfect job. If anyone has a failed tail light and wants me to take it over there and see what they have to say, I'd be happy to.

Gar

Sent the mirror to radar mirror from Istanbul Turkey and and got it back last week. Excellent work. Looks no different than a new one and auto dimming function works.
    Hattat

AF77768 Topasblau / Schwarz

PP installed
    Motorsport 20" style 101 wheels
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Sport Button On - DSC Off Z8-NL's Avatar
    rearview mirror went pear shaped as well.
    BMW here in NL states that there are 47 in backorder with no view of when delivered by BMW

any repair shops for mirrors in the Netherlands that anyone knows off??

regards
    Klaus
    Z8-NL

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Klaus, Never heard of one. I know you can buy a new glass in germany but that is without the dimming.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Klaus send it to radar mirror. Nothing different than the oe one.
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

DSC Off
    Another unreserved suggestion to send your mirror to Radar Mirror. Repair at -
    http://radar-mirror.com/Mirror_Repair.html

Several perfect repairs for my experience. 2 - 3 day service. Simply email for shipping instructions -
    [email protected]
    The service and parts will last with at least as good as performance as OEM. You won't need the optional lifetime warranty - the work is lifetime.

Yes, they receive and ship outside USA.

I sent it from Turkey. Total time for shipment and repair took 10 days.
    Hattat

PP installed
    Eisenmann catback
    Supersprint headers
    CDV removed
    Quaife LSD
    3.64 gearing

Z8 Novice
    I have the dreaded rear view mirror issue with a curvy line across the mirror. Any updates on how to deal with this issue?
    Thanks,
    Tasneem
    2001 Z8

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TiSmile View Post
    I have the dreaded rear view mirror issue with a curvy line across the mirror. Any updates on how to deal with this issue?
    Thanks,
    Tasneem
    2001 Z8
    Easy fix. Contact these guys: http://sybesmas.com/site/
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

Z8 Novice
    Thanks,
    Tasneem

Yes, I used them as well. Perfect result!
    61345 ​Jet Black/Sport Red

Z8 Novice
    thanks- thats very reassuring!

DSC Off
    The info at start about radar_mirror remains active and their service is flawless. 2 - 3 day turnaround. Look into them. My first repair on another BMW remains perfect after 5+ years.

Z8 Novice
    Thanks- I have sent an email to sybesmas. Did you by any chance contact sybesmas ? Glad for your recommendation for radar_mirror

I used Radar-mirror.com a few months ago to do this same repair on my E39 M5 and was very pleased. I think with return shipping the cost was around $110.00 and the turnaround was very quick. Looks and functions like new.

Sport Button On
    Just took my mirror to Radar-Mirror in Plano (just outside Dallas) and the owner restored it in 15 minutes while I watched the process, disassembling it, unsoldering, replacing the glass, re-soldering and reassembling. It looks brand new. He restores 10-15 per day (for lots of different car brands). These mirrors have a good bit of electronics inside. The glass is actually two pieces of glass with a rubber seal and fluid between them. It is the rubber seal that fails over time. I would highly recommend using Radar-Mirror, whose contact information is listed in Post #1. The proprietor's name is Scott Wheeler.

Don't even consider buying a new one as the repaired one is just as good and costs $99 to repair.

Rick

Are all three shops replacing the glass with non-liquid glass or just sybesmas ?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Sport Button On
    Radar-Mirror uses the same glass (with the liquid) that was originally installed.

Quote Originally Posted by ra0507 View Post
    Radar-Mirror uses the same glass (with the liquid) that was originally installed.

Hmm, does the Sybesmas unit work like the OEM unit? If so, seems liquid free has advantages.
    2000 Red over black

Sport Button On
    It's an electrochromic (or electrochromatic?) fluid that darkens when lights hit it from the rear. I would think you would want that. Since I have not used the Sybesmas for the repair, I am not able to comment.

I flipped a coin and sent mine to Sybesmas. It was in the earlier stages of failure.

They told me their version uses a Gel vs. the original fluid. They said this is less likely to ever leak.
    2000 Red over black

Just had mine done by Radar mirror. Very efficient and repaired mirror and all functions work perfectly.

Z8 Novice
    Is there anyone wanting to sell there damaged mirror? I need to buy one on a budget to see if it fits into a BMW Z3.

Quote Originally Posted by ryn004 View Post
    Is there anyone wanting to sell there damaged mirror? I need to buy one on a budget to see if it fits into a BMW Z3.
    The BMW E39 M5 mirror is essentially the same as that of the Z8. This fellow (Adam) has a very active business buying totaled/worn out M5's and parting them out. He usually has a couple on hand. http://www.m5board.com/.../364634-cl...rt-out-thread- multiple-m5-s-hand-all-times-378.htmlGood luck!Bill

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3