Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3

Thread: Broken plastic tabs on convertible top boot

Z8 Millennial Monster hayvenhurstkid's Avatar
    I will take two pair, so now we are at 25.
    Let's see if we can keep the momentum going.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2014 Range Rover sport Autobiography
    2013 Ford Raptor
    2011 Porsche 911 turbo S coupe

Does the Club know about them yet?
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Please count me in for one pair! Thanks,

Sport Button On
    Count me in for one pair. Chris

Z8 Novice
    Count me in for one pair please. Thanks, Len

Fast & Lazy x1
    macfly x1
    Pandaman x2
    Z8Mania x2
    2112 x1
    hlmiii x2
    jawz x1
    Tyler x1
    M Blitz x1
    JoshB x1
    Z8LVR x 2
    ZAchterbahn x3
    The CE x2
    Zzzz8 x1
    DirkZ8 x1
    NorCal x1
    Hayvenhurstkid 2
    Z8 4JR x1
    mrcjackson x1
    lzabot x1

Total - 28
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

I will check with them to see how much more it would cost to run off 30 to 35 pairs.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Put me in for a pair. Two if it helps make the volume for the order. Thanks!

All seems to have gone quiet on this trail of late, what's the progress on this project?
    Andrew Macpherson

We never got anywhere near the required 100 orders to have them made.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

I will check with them to see how much more it would cost to run off 30 to 35 pairs.
    What did they say to doing a smaller order?
    Andrew Macpherson

in Coral Gables, Florida DirkZ8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    We never got anywhere near the required 100 orders to have them made.
    Wouldn't the club in Germany be interested in purchasing 65 and re-selling it in their boutique ?
    Dirk

Alpina #142
    www.bmwccca.com

You woul think... Christian?

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    Christian commented that Europe didn't understand our concern about the tabs. He stated that almost all of them never cover there top when down. I know if you don't use the toneau in our Texas sun the exposed fabric will fade. I have seen several cars with faded material.
    Panda man

Latest update is Marty's sold his car, so I'm going to try and pick this up, and see what we can accomplish. This is who I have done so far, so let me know if you are no longer interested, otherwise I'll keep this list as my bible for production.
    Andrew Macpherson

Wait... I've lost track.... Didn't Marty sell his alpine and buy a z8? Now he sold that? How many has he owned thus far? For those who don't know, he is a broker, so if he can turn a buck.....

I think five so far, a silver/red, a silver/black, the only stratus/red, the Alpina and the last one which was a silver/red!!
    Andrew Macpherson

DSC Off
    Will def remain IN.
    For two.
    Thank you.

Andrew is right. And so is Ian as far as selling them and turning a profit. I am sure there will be more in the future.
    Marty

2001 Z8
    2013 Ford Raptor

Z8Mania
    Im still interested.

I have two BMW repair kits sitting in my parts cabinet, but I'll still go in with the group if you need me to fill a slot.
    thegunguy

I might need one pair to make a design plan from, or better still can you guys make up a scale design plan at work? :-)

Right now Christian is seeing if he has an aviation lead in TX and I'm trying to get an answer from India & China as Seattle are in military budget fantasy land, they wants 13,500 for the job!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by hayvenhurstkid View Post
    Andrew is right. And so is Ian as far as selling them and turning a profit. I am sure there will be more in the future.
    Don't worry, we don't take it personally!

Andrew needs to buy another to keep up the count. I know this guy called 'Marty' who may be able to hook you up!

I am in for a set. One of my tabs just broke. I will try to order an OEM set, but am in for the aftermarket one you are proposing regardless.
    Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

Fast & Lazy x1
    macfly x1
    Pandaman x2
    Z8Mania x2
    2112 x1
    hlmiii x2
    jawz x1
    Tyler x1
    M Blitz x1
    JoshB x1
    Z8LVR x 2
    ZAchterbahn x3
    The CE x2
    Zzzz8 x1
    DirkZ8 x1
    NorCal x1
    Z8 4JR x1
    mrcjackson x1
    lzabot x1
    porscheguy x1
    VegasAlpina x1
    Charles x1

Total - 29
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    I am in for a set. One of my tabs just broke. I will try to order an OEM set, but am in for the aftermarket one you are proposing regardless.
    Let us know how the factory supply is. I grabbed my two last year before the stock ran out. I'm curious to know if they've built supply back again.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Charles, which tab broke? I bought a replacement boot cover a few years ago because of this and I have the original one still around here somewhere. If you broke the one I didn't break, I could have the good one removed and sent to you....

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Seattle are in military budget fantasy land, they wants 13,500 for the job!!
    I agree it was very expensive with the set up charges. They want volume orders. They are busy supplying the 787 as well as Airbus now.

If we were able to order 500, it would get more affordable but that probably is out of reach.

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

It seems that these parts would be ideal candidates for the emerging 3D printing technology industry. I don't know a lot about it, except that it is excels in small size and quantity runs, and can be done in a variety of materials. I will do some homework to see what more can be learned.

DSC Off
    I wonder if BMW would go for a run, if it had a guaranteed number of customers?
    I obviously don't know their economics on something like this, but is there a possibility it could work?
    They could use the up-front product sales to fund their order and end up with a (replenished) stock for future orders.

Has anyone checked on the BMW inventory lately?
    thegunguy

Sport Button On

plastic tabs

I just called BMW and there are 21 sets available in the US and 38 in Germany and the part is NOT discontinued.

Hah, well that's good to know, maybe we should just use these up before going to all the trouble and expense of making up the indestructible ones.
    Andrew Macpherson

Quote Originally Posted by lanny View Post
    I just called BMW and there are 21 sets available in the US and 38 in Germany and the part is NOT discontinued.
    That makes a lot more sense to me. It seems that while inevitable failure is likely, the frequency is pretty low, and BMW appears to be producing a steady supply. I wonder if these parts are common across multiple models (Z3 perhaps?).
    thegunguy

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness Z-acht's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunguy View Post
    That makes a lot more sense to me. It seems that while inevitable failure is likely, the frequency is pretty low, and BMW appears to be producing a steady supply. I wonder if these parts are common across multiple models (Z3 perhaps?).
    The Z3 does not have a cover like the Z8. BTW You can order it online at the BMW classic shop.
    Ton
    1 of the 71 original Dutch sold cars (jetblack/red)

Problem solved, at least for now. I may just order a spare set to have templates in hand and pursue nice metal replacements without any time pressure. But if BMW Classic has the support of the manufacturer who hopefully still owns the tools, that may remain the more sensible solution.
    ZAchterbahn
    2001 Z8

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Charles, which tab broke? I bought a replacement boot cover a few years ago because of this and I have the original one still around here somewhere. If you broke the one I didn't break, I could have the good one removed and sent to you....
    Thanks, Jerry. I have been off the board for a bit. The one that broke is the passenger side one. Pat Arnold at Classic said they are available and ordered one for me last week. If it does not arrive soon, and you have the one I broke, I may take you up on your offer.

I did find out that the cover will stay on with just one tab. I am still in for the permanent fix if we get enough takers.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania
    Very nicely done. FWIW, from memory, the one I broke is the longer one which I think is on the drivers side.

Ok, I have my tab set. Anybody figure out procedures for removing the plastic rivets? I started to use a small screwdriver, but was afraid I would scratch the cover plastic. The guys at Classic BMW were going to use a drill on one they were doing for a customer, but had not determined exactly how.

There must be a right and wrong way to do that. Maybe start a drill hole with a nail, so the bit does not travel, and then slowly use a drill with a 1/8" bit? Must be very careful not to drill through to the leather? I think I may be able to slide a piece of sheet metal between the plastic and the leather.

Surely one of you that is less of a clutz than me has done this
    Charles Guerin

I'd suggest using a drill mounted on a table stand like this...

Andrew Macpherson

Not using THAT wood bit though, I hope...

Step 1 Getting the rivet out

Here are some pictures I took. There is enough space to slip your hand under the plastic covering and to slip a piece of sheet metal so you wont drill through to the leather. Then I used a nail to tap a hole to guide the drill bit so it would not slip. I used progressively larger bits until the rivet top could be separated from the bottom, and reached in and got the bottom piece of it.

For step 2 it is easy to line up the new tab with the rivet hole, but when I went to buy a rivet gun to install it, the guy at Home Depot said the length of the top shaft of the rivet which is pushed down by the gun, was too small for the standard guns they have.

Anybody know what kind of rivet gun to use for the second step of installing the rivet?

Charles Guerin

Very nice detailed explanation, thank you!
    Andrew Macpherson

Following up, I could never get the new rivet in. All the rivet tools I could find were too big and required a longer, bigger rivet.

When I took her in for all new fluids, Pat Arnold at Classic BMW in Dallas was kind enough to fix it gratis. Thanks, Pat!! He either had the right tool or some other secret, but a least it is now fixed.
    Charles Guerin

Sport Button On
    Have just ordered too and was told there are 26 kits in Germany. Chris

Anyone knows the part number? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Z8 4JR View Post
    Anyone knows the part number? Thanks,

Ton

Thanks for the quick reply!

Sport Button On

Folding top cover repair kit

Just collected mine - 48 hour service! And to confirm it is made up of the two tabs (of differing length) and the plastic rivets. Not sure I understand why so much has been written on this subject when they are readily available. Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mrcjackson View Post
    Not sure I understand why so much has been written on this subject when they are readily available. Chris
    Hi Chris,

The (broken) tabs were always seen as a part of the cover and no one wanted to buy a new cover so the idea of self-fabricating the tabs was there. The tabs were "accidentally " found. Ordering all kinds of parts for my car I ordered also "a repair set for the cover"( did not know what it was) and this set contained a pair of tabs with rivets :-)
    Ton

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar

Bad tabs - or inserts ?

Ive always had a loose windbreaker and also noted that the tonneau would occasionally pop up at the back.

I noted that the windbreaker tabs and tonneau cover plug into plastic oval inserts in the vertical panel behind the seats. There are 4 inserts All 4 of mine were broken. The price to replace them was about 10 dollars. I did this recently and the tonneau and windbreaker issues are totally resolved.

I had noted intermittent resistance to inserting the tonneau It occurs to me that the broken inserts could be contributing to the broken tonneau tabs. The windbreaker ones should be unaffected as they are metal. .

The inserts can be popped out easily by hand. If you are having issues with the tonneau or the windbreaker it may be worth checking

Dave P
    Vancouver, BC

Page 3 of 3 First 1 2 3