Thread: another battery installation note

Sport Button On - DSC Off harvey2's Avatar

another battery installation note

I've replaced my battery a couple of times before, but this time, something new went wrong and I thought it would be a good idea to mention it here. The bolts that hold down the battery hold-down brace (the piece of metal that goes over the battery) thread into nuts that are pressed into the plastic floor. Be careful when re-installing those bolts. Don't press down hard when starting them or you will push the nut out of its hole in the plastic floor and then be in for a heap of hassle to get it back in place.

I had one of those days where I wasn't thinking straight. It was a couple of weeks since I had removed the dead old battery and I had forgotten the details of where everything goes, exactly. I tried to install the hold down bracket on top of the black carpet (behind the battery) instead of under it. It didn't line up well and so I gave it a push downwards to get it started. That didn't work, and then I realized the bracket was supposed to go under the carpet, not on top of it. So I lifted the carpet and positioned the bracket correctly, but when I went to start the bolt, I found there was no nut to thread in to! I looked down the hole with a flashlight and could see the nut sitting on a strip of metal about an inch below the hole. I had pushed it out of it's hole with only a moderate amount of pressure. After a few minutes of poking around to see how to get the nut back in place, I was starting to worry. It looked like it was going to be a big hassle, requiring removal of the entire lower bumper to get at it. After some hard thinking and some advice from my wife, I came up with a trick that had a chance of working (well, to be honest it was mostly her idea). I used a wire to poke through the hole and carefully slid the nut, which had landed on a little shelf of metal upright, to align it with the hole exactly. Then I made a tool out of a 6 mm bolt with its head cut off, extended with a handle made out of some cable insulation. This fit down through the hole and allowed me to carefully thread the tool into the nut and then pull it up with some force and back into its proper place. So, the dreaded bumper disassembly was avoided.

I can tell you I was surprised how easily that nut was pushed out of its hole. It is only a modest friction fit. Beware.

The picture shows the spot I'm talking about, with the nut out of place. It seems to show the nut very close under the hole, but its not, it took about 1 1/2 inches of bolt length to catch it.

Ron, Original Canadian owner 2001 Z8. 18 years (and counting)!

Great teamwork!Thanks for taking the time to document the problem and solution.

Sport Button On - DSC Off harvey2's Avatar
    You don't know the half of it. Back in 2000, it was her idea to buy the Z8 in the first place. She has a lot of ideas. Sometimes too many.
    Ron, Original Canadian owner 2001 Z8. 18 years (and counting)!