Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last

Thread: Phone snaps

Phone snaps

I thought a thread on the greatness of phone snaps might be fun.

Here's one I grabbed a few moments ago in the garden. The broken light was really highlighting this one bloom, which caught my eye.

I snapped it with my iPhone 4S which has a fixed f2.0 aperture. The DOF is far more shallow than I expected with only the stamens on the left side of the flower sharp in focus. Everything beyond starts to blur a bit. It's a shame that I can't stop down just a hair to pull in the entire center of the flower. I was maybe an three inches off the flower.

A lovely little guy.

thegunguy

I love mine, it's become my point & shoot for most things, and its super easy to take out with the bikes. Here's a bunch of fragments of my life in LA seen with the iPhone.

Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Beyond the Valley of Z8 Madness
    Awesome photos.
    2003 Z8
    2019 GT3 Touring
    https://www.instagram.com/tgivargis/

A lovely little guy.[/QUOTE]

My wife says it looks like a passion flower. Here is one of our Japanese Maple.

Charles Guerin
    AH61406 - Titanium Silver/ /Black

I haven't processed any of my iPhone snaps. I looks like they hold up fairly well.

These are really great, Andrew. I love the crispness of the HP2 shots.
    thegunguy

It just goes to show... it's still about the eye & experience behind the device not just technology. My "Snaps" are not nearly as good as yours Andrew. Go figure!

I wanted to throw out an iPhone app suggestion that I found over the weekend listening to a podcast. Check out 645 Pro. It's one of the better camera apps that I've seen. The key feature for me was a better AE lock. The standard lock target seems really big, and sometimes it's hard to get the exposure just right. This one is smaller, and it behaves more familiar to a standard camera.

The LCD readout with histogram is pretty nice too.

The app also gives you the ability to capture in a less compressed JPG format and lossless TIF, which is kind of cool.

645 in App Store for $2.99

thegunguy

nice shots, all

well, i can't participate, since i'm the last person in the world still using a a camera-less phone! however, i usually do carry my similarly sized S100 - a nice little phone-less camera

Andrew, from what location did you take the 2nd and the last image of your series?

Griffith Park, on the trail up above the Observatory.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Thanks for the advice fellas. Andrew any processing on those shots?

Z8Mania
    PS- great shots!!!!!

No, straight out of the phone, it's all about seeing and catching the light.
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Awesome. Thats how I feel as well. People ask me whats the most important thing with pictures and my response is- well aside from making sure you get your subject in the frame- its lighting. Its critical.

Like being faster at the track... adjust the nut behind the wheel!

Where's the love?

Name:  LOVE.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  133.4 KB

Tokyo, Japan
    Shinjuku Ward
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Z8Mania
    Its right there!

Z8Mania
    Heres one I call "Flowers" - I took it last year on 4/11/2011 with the iPhone 4. The only thing I did was resize in to 800xwhatever it is (close to 600) in PS and then save for web. No other edits at all.

Z8Mania
    Heres one I snuck in March of 2011.... iPhone 4. No PS tweaks besides for resizing to 800 and save for web- jpeg 65 level.

Z8Mania
    Heres two from St.Thomas. I did not use the HDR versions. Same no PS tweaks except size and save for web. These are with the 4S though. From December 2011.

Z8Mania
    Here are two doggies. One is our doggie, Ruby. (She began life much more of a ruby color hence her name) and the other is my friends doggie, Ziggy. Both iPhone 4S and no tweaks except size and safe for web. I don't believe either is HDR. Ive found the iPhone HDR can sometimes be a big help but often it makes things look unnatural.

Great shot of Manhattan!
    Andrew Macpherson

Name:  photo-23.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  85.8 KB
    Walking the streets of Milan, I came across the Giro d'Italia race! The speed these riders achieved was amazing for this weekend warrior on two wheels.
    My Best,

Ed

Great shot!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Fantastic shot!

I've been getting into Instagram with the iPhone which is pretty good fun. I snuck off these iPhone snaps of my last shoot with David Guetta, the worlds #1 DJ, and now I guess kind of the unofficial global ambassador for EDM - Electronic Dance Music, or House as we always called it. All the colors are done with the in app filters.

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Those are awesome. I really like the Lamborghini shot because its a juxtaposition of the ultra modern design with a kind of aged photo look. Same for the Sears tower. I have to say I find the iPhone camera adequate but I really prize clarity and lack of noise, color vibrance and resolution/ smoothness. I guess its a lot to ask of a pinhole camera- which, by the way is attached to a computer that does more than a Star Trek communicator. Judged that way its quite impressive. But for me, when I want to truly capture a moment thats important, Im reaching for a "real" camera. To that end, everyone's suggestion on the S100 is a great one.

Cool stuff!

These are great, Andrew. I was following along on Instagram as well. It really is such great way to capture fun snaps, and they've done an amazing job with tasteful filters really making the best of the low-fi phone snaps. I'd go out on a limb and say that Instagram has done more for casual photography than anything since the original Polaroid.

To Jerry's point, my biggest gripe with the phone cams relates to their handling. It's so hard to hold them without getting blur from shake. Then sensors are plenty sharp, but they're so fiddly in big hands that getting anything crisp is often an accident. I would think that they could combat it to some extent with the onboard accelerometer, etc. Regardless, the best camera is always the one you have with you.
    thegunguy

Quote Originally Posted by Z8Mania View Post
    Heres one I call "Flowers" - I took it last year on 4/11/2011 with the iPhone 4. The only thing I did was resize in to 800xwhatever it is (close to 600) in PS and then save for web. No other edits at all.
    Great shot! It still always amazes me to see a flower come out of a tree or woody bush.
    Charles Guerin

Great shots Andrew, and I admire how you're able to tell a story with your pictures.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania

gold chains optional! ;->

The first one is straight out of my iPhone except it was resized and save for the web in PS.

The second one is with some editing of the color balance etc by yours truly. I prefer the second one but since we are showing phone pics I didn't want to leave the impression this was the result straight out of the iPhone. Camera is iPhone 4S. It was a beautiful day.

Looks lovely, the pix and the car!! :-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Looks like the next version of iOS will finally associate the camera roll container with photo uploading. This might make it possible to upload photos direct from Apple mobile devices to bmwz8.us. It might require some small tweaks to the backend. I'm lookin in to it.
    thegunguy

I doubt it's a good idea to do it though because the softwares built in compression to size to 800px wide is not nearly as nice as when you size and prepare it yourself.
    Andrew Macpherson

True.

It's looking like this will work without any modifications to the site. So, if you have a utility on the phone to crop/resize, you will be able to upload photos in the same 'Manage Attachments' dialog that we use from the desktop browsers. While not the preferred for quality, this will be super convenient for uploading some shots on the go.
    thegunguy

Z8Mania
    Cool. Thanks for the compliments. Whats interesting is depending on the monitor Im on the sky in my shots looks better in one or the other pic I did. Go figure.

Now throw in pre-press and on pre-press print quality to imagine the catacomb of color matching that is my life!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Andrew, I can only imagine how frustrating that can be and I bet it's heart breaking
    If the resultant image that gets published isn't what you had
    In your minds eye.... Fortunately for all
    Of us, my audience is much more limited!!

iPhone v1 snap from way back....

And edited in iPhoto.

I have > 20,000 photos in iphoto. After several upgrades (Machine, OS and iPhoto) my photos in iphoto are in a terrible mess. Along the way I seem to have managed to generate tons of duplicates. Photo stream seems to make matters worse....

I tried to find a commercial de-duping utility but nothing seemed to work terribly well. And I was a little nervous about losing images.

What do you guys use to manage your photo libraries?

Quote Originally Posted by biffom View Post
    And edited in iPhoto.

I have > 20,000 photos in iphoto. After several upgrades (Machine, OS and iPhoto) my photos in iphoto are in a terrible mess. Along the way I seem to have managed to generate tons of duplicates. Photo stream seems to make matters worse....

I tried to find a commercial de-duping utility but nothing seemed to work terribly well. And I was a little nervous about losing images.

What do you guys use to manage your photo libraries?
    Peter Krogh wrote 'the book' on this topic, including on how to get yourself initially organized, which is your area of interest at the moment.

http://www.thedambook.com/

the book covers enterprise solutions & pro environments - so can be overkill in some areas for a hobbyist - however, the concepts are sound and can be scaled down/ simplified according to need.

there are also forums on his site where you can get more info and ask questions.

i used to use iView Media Pro, which got bought by Microsoft (renaming it to Expression Media 2), which got bought by Phase One (renaming it Media Pro 1). This app is still one of the best for just evaluating what you have on your various disks, and to do initial organizing and sorting out of your collections. unfortunately the multiple changes in ownership had its impact on the product. i still use the EM2 version.

i have since switched to Lightroom for managing my library (approx. 120,000 mainly RAW images). LR is not yet quite as nice as Media Pro for DAM, but of course offers great non-destructive image processing functionality that MP doesn't - and the lure of mastering only 1 app is high (for me).

btw, i still return to MP for some tasks (MP also have a 'find duplicates' and 'find similar' options that may come in handy in your case). MP has a free trial, so you can see if it will suit your purposes.

Media Pro

there may be other (and better) tools, but these are the ones I have used.

good luck!

Z8Mania
    First, nice shot. Second, I think your question would be a great new thread: how to organize one's digital photos.

I think Raka offers some great advice. I'm kind of self taught and maybe his links are even better than what I'd do but if it were me, here is what I'd do/ actually do.

I think I'd ask iPhoto to sort the pictures by date taken and then weed out the doubles by hand. Its the only way to truly be sure you're not eliminating the wrong photos.

Then I'd organize them into different events. I do mine chronologically- I name them for example "2012 06 16 Z8 Drive" and allows me to sort them. Then I create albums of things like Z8 pictures I really like or whatever the topic is. I do annual greatest pics albums so I have 2008, 2009, 2010 etc and those are family pics I sync to my phones, iPads, etc. I have an album of doggie pics, Z8 pics also.

Before I get anything into iPhoto, if its coming off my SLR, I use Image Capture (its an Apple app supplied with the OS) and copy them into a folder in my pictures folder- which is dated just like above "2012 06 16 ----" and then I use Adobe bridge to scan through them and PS to edit them to where I want them. I then apply generalized sharpening to the ones I want to move to iPhoto and I save them into a different folder- "iPhoto 2012 06 16 ---". Then I import that folder into iPhoto. Yes this makes for lots of duplicates on the hard drive- but I can always get back to the untouched originals if I want to. I know aperture does this also but I don't like how you don't see where the files are (Im old school that way). If its off a point and shoot camera I just import to iPhoto and I use PS to edit them.

Its just my system, Im sure its got serious problems for some people but it works for me. One thing Ive been thinking of doing is using Aperture the way I use iPhoto since in a moment to weakness I bought a copy of Aperture to try out and I really do not like its file system. But I need something that allows me to easily sync to my iStuff and also SmugMug which iPhoto, and maybe Aperture do.

Cobra 50th and Shelby Memorial - Dallas, June 30, 2012

I do some work for Aaron Shelby at LegacyTexas Bank, which is owned in part by his father, Pat Shelby, son of Carroll. Today, the Bank held it's annual gathering of all things Shelby, and at 11:30am Aaron led all the cars in a start up and rev to remember Carroll. It was quite moving.

I road with a buddy with a sweet '66 Mustang convertible (first pic), not a Shelby, but we all can't be so lucky. As you can see below, there were plenty of Shelby Mustangs (including the new 800hp Super Snake) and other ponies, together with a collection from the Shelby Cobra Club of America, part of Pat's personal collection of original stock Shelby's, and some GT40's, Ford GT's, Pantera's, Sunbeam Tigers and even a Daytona. No Series 1, though, which I would have liked to have seen. Anyway, here are the pictures. straight from my Blackberry.

Charles Guerin

Love all those Fords!

Thanks for Posting!

2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

Great shots of a great event, thanks for sharing!!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Very cool!!! Great shots and great cars. I love it. Thank you.

That one's worthy of it's own thread! Awesome shots.
    thegunguy

Thanks guys. What I could not capture was the excitement and pride of all the Shelby owners I saw, both men and women. Truly a good group of folks, like the men and women on this site. I have met several of the Texas and one Oklahoma member, and hope to meet more of the locals, and those farther away, at some point in the future.

I can't say I bought my Z8 because of you (I really just loved the car), but can say that you all add so much to the excitement and pride of ownership.
    Charles Guerin

Z8Mania

all you phone snappers may find this interesting

btw, how do you like his studio? probably requires a fair amount of trust / faith from the models to be willing to follow him there!

Getty licenses Nick Laham Photographs Of NY Yankees Taken With iPhone

Awesome blog post! An artist making great use of the available tools.
    thegunguy

Interesting...

but it doesn't add up, if he had his LED light kit then how come he wasn't shooting on Canon 5D which would be the obvious choice in this situation. This strikes me as a trick and a gimmick trying to sell his shots, which aren't bad, but there's something fishy here that doesn't add up.
    Andrew Macpherson

I think the story is over dramatized. It's probably simply that he wanted (or the client wanted) something "different" and to make a story out of it, including the "location".

I like the one of A Rod.
    thegunguy

Instagram #z8

Clive just pointed out that there are 500 random users posting Z8 content on instagram, so I created a Z8 account and threw some pix up there too. Add yours as well, with links back to the site of course, as it looks like loads of Z8 peeps posting stuff out there who aren't here yet!
    Andrew Macpherson

It's cheating if you import from your DSLR!
    thegunguy

Loads of peeps are doing that - I was surprised to see, but Instagram is becoming used by many as a sort of rolling portfolio, so cheating, yes, but since everyone else is doing it so will I !! ;-)
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Maybe its someone driving an agenda like Apple or instagram or someone else but those shots look great.

This is a very fun little article with some good app tips on iPhone snapping - link
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania

Here's some snaps from this weeks location scout done on my older iPhone 4 and processed with Snapseed...

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Really nice Andrew. Im going to have to give this Snapspeed a try. I have a ton of Nik software already.

Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Here's some snaps from this weeks location scout done on my older iPhone 4 and processed with Snapseed...
    I couldn't see the pictures on my iPad.
    My Best,

Ed

I think our new 'big' size has exceeded the reason of the tablets, my iPhone also couldn't load them, but they show up here on the laptop just fine.
    Andrew Macpherson

Great pics, but I too couldn't see them until I got them on the 30" and stretched the browser to super wide.

It's a hard tradeoff. Most of the web is built around a maximum width of 1,000 pixels (many sites at 960) more so for eye travel than device resolutions. I like seeing the photos at higher resolutions, but it requires adjusting the window to such a wide viewport that reading posts is more laborious.

Photos vs. reading...tough call.

I've been meaning to check out Snapseed too.

thegunguy

As you suggested, the pictures showed up on the MacBook just fine. Wow, great shots of what looks to be a great location.
    My Best,

Ed

Z8Mania
    I didn't know that about the web and 1000px wide but I don't care. Give me as much resolution as you can please. Thats just me.

Well we'll leave the forum at 1200px wide since we have such a budding photo section going here!
    Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    YES!!!!! I took some shots today and Im really pleased with the 24-70 lens. Heres a shot from my iphone.

A couple of black beauties

The sun shining brightly on a couple of black beauties on a crisp November day
    Alice's Restaurant
    Highways 84 and 35
    Woodside, CA

My Best,

Ed

Looks like the weather was great Ed! Love that road. Particularly south from there to Soquel.

Z8Mania
    Yes!!!!!!!! Thats great!

Here are some iPhone snaps...Thanksgiving dinner and a shot from London. No processing at all (straight from the phone to iPhoto to you). Cuz I don't know what processing is.

Greg AH61930 - 2003 - Silver/Black

This is processing...

Andrew Macpherson

Z8Mania
    Jolly good!

Downloading pictures onto my laptop I found this...

Bowling alley with Mt Fuji in the background
    Shinkansen Train
    February 2013
    Enhanced with Snapseed
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  93.1 KB
    My Best,

Ed

That's cool, did you spend any time in Kyoto?
    Andrew Macpherson

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 Last