Thread: Z8 Performance Package

Z8 Novice

Z8 Performance Package

Has anyone installed the strut bar reinforcement? And did the Tech have an problems with hood clearance? After $800 in parts, and 14 hours of labour. I was wondering if this was something that anyone has experienced. My concern is wether or not this is a fix for the frame deformity issue, or is it something that BMW has put together to distract owners from a more serious issue. I walked into the bay were my Z8 was having the strut bar installed to find the tech taking a Dremel to the bolt holes in order to drop the strut bar down enough to clear hood closure. Please let me know if tis is something that anyone has experienced. Thanks MMC

Look in the Frame Forum section, you'll find a lot on this issue.
    http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.p...0&referrerid=2
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Wink

The only problem with my installation was that they didn't adjust the headlights after installation. The car was not drivable in the dark.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC2488 View Post
    Has anyone installed the strut bar reinforcement? And did the Tech have an problems with hood clearance? After $800 in parts, and 14 hours of labour. I was wondering if this was something that anyone has experienced. My concern is wether or not this is a fix for the frame deformity issue, or is it something that BMW has put together to distract owners from a more serious issue. I walked into the bay were my Z8 was having the strut bar installed to find the tech taking a Dremel to the bolt holes in order to drop the strut bar down enough to clear hood closure. Please let me know if tis is something that anyone has experienced. Thanks MMC
    I am having the PP installed in a few days. It will be installed in Madrid centrtal BMW dealer which belongs to BMW. They have never installed any, as this item is almost unknown in Europe. I will let you Know. I believe it is better to prevent, but I must also say that nobody gets a PP over here. My car has 30.000 km. driven under normal road conditions and the axel and wheel alingment has been checked and is perfect. I read in the forum tha 20 vehicules in the USA have reported to suffer the problem. (Not even 1%) while there are articles assuring that 1 out of 2 cars are damage. If you enter mobile.de you will find more than forty z8 for sale, many of which show photos of the engine; not one PP installed. I also read in the forum that a law firm was contacted in New York, but no action has been forwarded,as a lawyer myself I can tell that the only reason why civil action should not be started is the fact that you don?t have a case. I think that a small number of cars have reported the damage, that BMW has said that not even one checked case could be considered a normal driving effect. At the same time that we can personally minimize the risk with PP and no Run Flats, we, ownwers, should be cautious when biggering the whole thing against our interest, and which is more important agains nude figures and facts. all the best.

Make sure that you dealer reads the instructions very carefully, because it is possible to mount the strut bar too high, as you have no doubt seen in the Frame Forum.

Happily the whole issue is behind us now, but just to clarify the reason we did not go through with a class action law suit here was because when we looked long and hard at the possible outcome none of us wanted to hurt BMW trying to extract punitive damages for what was an honest miscalculation. We simply wanted our cars fixed and safe to drive on the very poor roads we have here in the US. The Z8 Club in Europe shared our position, and our goals, and was able to work with BMW AG to obtain the release the PP within a very short period of time. Since this was all we wanted we had no more reason to go to law.

If you are not yet a member of the Z8 Club in Europe I'd strongly suggest joining as it is an amazing organization with a great ability to work with BMW AG to look after both our cars, and us the owners.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8 Novice
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    Make sure that you dealer reads the instructions very carefully, because it is possible to mount the strut bar too high, as you have no doubt seen in the Frame Forum.

Happily the whole issue is behind us now, but just to clarify the reason we did not go through with a class action law suit here was because when we looked long and hard at the possible outcome none of us wanted to hurt BMW trying to extract punitive damages for what was an honest miscalculation. We simply wanted our cars fixed and safe to drive on the very poor roads we have here in the US. The Z8 Club in Europe shared our position, and our goals, and was able to work with BMW AG to obtain the release the PP within a very short period of time. Since this was all we wanted we had no more reason to go to law.

If you are not yet a member of the Z8 Club in Europe I'd strongly suggest joining as it is an amazing organization with a great ability to work with BMW AG to look after both our cars, and us the owners.
    Thanks Andrew for your response. The roll I play, of a little reluctancy aginst biggering the problem, does not mean, at all, that I do not very much appreciate the merits of your club, thanks to whom the PP has been developed by BMW. It is US z8 club merit, and from the other side, an honest reaction from the maker. I have found the forum quite illustrating and very nice to contact, as always happens when North Americans are involved. (We Europeans have to learn about your open mind and friendlyness to others). I enjoy the forum, but there is no club activity in Spain, so there is no point in joining the club in europe, as, unfortunately I will not be able to participate in any activity within 1000 miles from my home. Thanks again and consider me at your dispossal.