Thread: Post Performance Package Experiences

Sport Button On - DSC Off

Post Performance Package Experiences

Can those of you who have installed the Performance Package, make some statements about how the car rides post-installation? Do you have a sense of anything different about the car?

Has anyone with the Performance Package installed, experienced hitting some bad potholes and checked if their struts were affected at all?

I have a series of posts in the Z8 chatroom concerning the domed struts in my Z8. I am concerned that after I have them fixed, that the probem will not occur all over again.

DSC Off
    Can detect no difference in the ride/handling pre and post PP installation on the street, but I have not driven the car on the track since installation. Have not hit any potholes.

Handling at 7/10 seems a bit more crisp, but likely is all in my head. I'd recommend the pp. I believe it will greatly reduce the likelihood of future doming although I cannot prove it with any post install pothole encounters.
    Last edited by ZbobZ; December 28th 2006 at 14:25. Reason: clarity

DSC Off
    I have not noticed any difference except in my confidence driving over bumps. As an aside, the field engineer who inspected my car did not find any damage but noted and photographed some overspray under the front bumper. I found out that the original owner hit a parking curb and scraped some paint off the bumper and so he had it re-painted. The field engineer placed my car in the "accident" category which I believe is an attempt by BMW to build a case that any frame damage can only occur from "accidents." Scrapinig paint is NOT an "accident."

Bob Adler

Sport Button On - DSC Off
    I just wanted to report that my dealer, AutoWest BMW in Richmond BC installed my Performance Package and did a very nice job of it. This was their first one, but they obviously did it carefully as it fits beautifully. As usual, I am happy with their service.

I didn't notice any change in the feel of the car, but haven't really had it on the road much post-install. I don't expect any change at all.

I just had PP installed at BMW of Manhattan. It took them 4-5wks to get the parts in, but they did an excellent job with it once they had the parts.

I have the hard top on for the winter and I feel there is much less squeeks after the PP installed. May be its my imagination, but squeeking between the hard top and the body must be comming from the torsion of the frame.

Robert
    NYZ8

Any PP Photos?

Can any of you guys kindly post pics of the PP installed? Did the dealers have to cut out any of the hood insulation? Thanks, jim

Sport Button On - DSC Off Dogsbreath's Avatar
    Hey Jim

There are photos already posted of the installation. And NO, they should not be cutting insulation ! This was a problem with another install - the photos are also posted here.

Dave P

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by NYZ8 View Post
    I just had PP installed at BMW of Manhattan. It took them 4-5wks to get the parts in, but they did an excellent job.
    Can you give the contact & BMW of Manhattan's phone number..... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by melny View Post
    Can you give the contact & BMW of Manhattan's phone number..... thanks.
    Sure, BMW of Manhattan is 212-586-2269. They are apparently a BMW NA owned dealership, as opposed to a regular privately owned dealerships. My service adviser is Michael Ciasco.

Robert
    NYZ8

DSC Off
    thank you very much, my dealer will get the info monday.

DSC Off
    Again thanks, my dealership is now saying BMW has not released the tool or parts to do the upgrade, what is goimg on? Snowy and stranded in Wisconsin.

PP availability

It is supposed to be available, but my dealer did have some difficulty getting the parts in. Service manager had to be involved and it took them about 6 weeks. I am not sure if others on this web had to nudge to get it as well.

Good luck!

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by melny View Post
    Again thanks, my dealership is now saying BMW has not released the tool or parts to do the upgrade, what is goimg on? Snowy and stranded in Wisconsin.

My post PP experience is excellent, but my car has had so many changes over this winter that I couldn't say that the PP does anything more than add peace of mind.

However it is the peace of mind that I most wanted and I am very, very happy to have. I am no longer driving in fear of every shadow in the road, and am enjoying my car tremenously in the knowledge that it is 'pothole proofed'. Now this is all behind us I am very happy that BMW AG made the PP available to us.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.