Thread: Performance Package installed too high

Performance Package installed too high

My PP brace is a little too high in the engine pay, so closing the hood takes a good push, and there is clearly tension on the catches at the front of the hood.

I've lived with it for several years, but I'd like to know if there is an easy way to get this lowered by a few mm to improve this situation without destroying the car?

The easiest fix I think is to get some chalk and see where it is rubbing. Then take a grinder to it followed by some paint. I don't think that trying to move the attachment holes slightly would be a good solution.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Dinan low restriction carbon fiber airboxes
    Dinan high flow air mass meters
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    custom short shift linkage
    cdv modifacation
    Quaiffe differential/military grade gear polishing
    19 inch 3 piece HRE mags/Toyo tires
    Custom crossdrilled/slotted rotors
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    custom Sachs clutch /pressure plate
    Dinan pedal set

Z8Mania
    I like Josh's idea. I think it will depend on how much correction is required and if that would be within a safe spec on the bar.

I'm guessing the bar is a tube and not a solid piece. Anyone know the thickness of the metal in the middle part of the tube?

If your hood closes I can't imagine your brace being more than 1/8 of an inch out. Just grind a little at a time and keep marking with the chalk. cover your (cold) engine with a towel to keep the shavings off.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    cdv modifacation
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    Dinan pedal set

No way that tube is an eighth inch thick...? Hood padding?

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post
    Should have said installed maybe 1/8 to high.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    cdv modifacation
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    Dinan pedal set

I looked at an earlier post with pictures of the mounting bracket for the perfomance package to determine if there was any adjustent potential there. Unfortunately the holes for the screws to secure the performance package are perfectly round instead of oblong/rectangular to make the minor adjustment you are seeking.
    My Best,

Ed

2002 Z8 Jet Black//Sport Red
    2012 SLS AMG Obsidian Black/Classic Red

Quote Originally Posted by Norcal View Post

I agree. I would not grind any aluminum. I would think the interface with the padding is where the hang up is or you would already see marks in either the hood edges or the brace.
    2000 Red over black
    heavily modified for performance. Although, not to the level of GM's car

I would hate to start cutting out padding on a something that will affect judging down the road but if this is not a consideration then cut the padding. My speculation is since that brace is not a round or even an oblong tube it is either solid or has a lot more meat on the top and bottom. If it was me I would take a small drill to the top surface and drill down. If I didnt hit a void before 1/4 inch then I have plenty of material to work with. If I did well all that has to be done is to fill in the small hole and add a dab of paint.
    2002 Silver Black/Red

Dinan stage 4 software
    Hamann headers
    Supersprint exhaust
    performance package
    cdv modifacation
    ceramic brake pads
    stainless brake lines
    Dinan caster plates
    Dinan duel mass flywheel
    Dinan pedal set

Z8Mania
    Perhaps a combination of:
    1- filing down the bar just a hair;
    2- gently removing some of the padding; and
    3- maybe theres a slight adjustment that can be made to the hood itself so it might sit a hair higher

Would do the trick.

Keep in mind the padding is supposed to protect the hood from the heat from the motor so I wouldnt want to cut too much off. If you are worried about having a car that is factory fresh then I have two thoughts:

1- the PP means its not factory fresh but IMHO its better and it is still a factory mod
    2- buy a replacement engine bay pad. You could modify this one and remove the one that came with the car and keep that in case someone ever wanted to make it just like it rolled out of the factory.

Or more simply buy a Dremmel tool, remove the PP, and slightly elongate the holes to drop the PP 1/16 or so.
    Andrew Macpherson

Expert Z8 Inspections, with full support for both Z8 sale and purchases.

Z8Mania
    But then wont you have to worry that the bolts could shift while driving? I suppose you could use some kind of filler or perhaps get modified bolts to fit the new holes?

I think with locking washer and a good tighten it'll lock firmly, and in the event of a bad pothole impact the stress or tension is on the top lip of the hole, not the lower lip, so there shouldn't be too much of a reason for it to shift.
    Andrew Macpherson

I have had several projects over the years that had vaguely similar mounting issues. Regarding Andrew's suggestion to elongate the holes; I have found welding the original holes solid and redrillling fresh holes always gave me a more accurate location. Making a template before welding shut also facilitates the drilling of the new.
    2000 Red over black

I have my mechanic taking a look at the padding under the hood.

The outside part of the padding is a molded sheet that has some softer stuff behind it. I think we can get a few mm out from the softer stuff to allow a bit more give.

As I was showing him the problem this morning, the hood felt a lot easier to close than I remembered, so we're probably only looking at 2-5mm of extra space needed.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Remove a bit from the back of the padding, so as not to disturb the appearance.

Z8Mania
    I like the idea and I would suggest you check the fitment under at least these two circumstances:

1- before driven when cold
    2- after driven when hot (expansion / contraction)

I also want to reiterate I like this approach over messing with the holes and Id be very careful about adding material back in there because its aluminum not steel and who knows if the aluminum is of a certain type how it all bonds together- if it gets messed up all of a sudden you have a screwed up frame.

I would order a replacement hood pad and modify that one- this way you keep the original one. Youd be surprised how handy this advice can be for a sale.

Team Z8

My PP was also installed too high...

Even the resident "expert" tech at Crevier BMW couldn't get it right. They almost had to sit on the hood to get it closed, then they tried cutting away the hood insulation. DON'T CUT THE INSULATION...it doesn't cut well, it'll break apart and flake everywhere. The solution was to remove the PP and slot the holes. I don't understand why BMW designed the PP with so little margin for error in locating, knowing that many different techs with different skill levels would be challenged with that first installation. Since the installation it's never moved on my car (that I can see) from it's bolted location.

Z8Mania
    This is great info. Very interesting. As to the tight fit, there is precious little room in the engine bay and thats why when asked I stress that you really need someone experienced to do this work. There is simply no room for error.

DSC Off
    Quote Originally Posted by ron's rocket View Post
    Even the resident "expert" tech at Crevier BMW couldn't get it right. They almost had to sit on the hood to get it closed, then they tried cutting away the hood insulation. DON'T CUT THE INSULATION...it doesn't cut well, it'll break apart and flake everywhere. The solution was to remove the PP and slot the holes. I don't understand why BMW designed the PP with so little margin for error in locating, knowing that many different techs with different skill levels would be challenged with that first installation. Since the installation it's never moved on my car (that I can see) from it's bolted location.
    If you do exactly what is in the manual ,there is no probleem. No cut in the insulation and the
    hood will close as before.
    Z8Ros

The good news is that the PP saved the frame when I broke a front wheel on the trip this week

Quote Originally Posted by tomfakes View Post
    I broke a front wheel on the trip this week
    Glad you and car survived that. Can you tell us more?

2000 Red over black

There were 6 of us driving a road to avoid the traffic in Santa Cruz. This road is very bumpy. The first 2 cars missed the spot that I hit. It was a significant impact.

A few seconds later the tire pressure light started flashing and we all pulled over (walkie talkies for group drives are a must)

Andrew had an air compressor, but z8doc got no more than 10 psi into the tire. We called around and found a tire shop in Los Gatos that was open for another hour. The run flat got us there easily and then it got tricky

I eventually ended up borrowing a pair of front wheels and tires from NorCal and re-joined the Napa trip a day later.

When they took the wheel off to put a new tire on, the inner rim of the wheel was very clearly bent out of shape, so we discarded it at the run flat with 25 miles of no-air driving

Here's the wheel

Z8Mania
    Yieeks! I've done that before. Glad everyone is ok. Its for the best- the wheel took the damage as opposed to things further up the chain.

Thank heavens the impact was on the relatively unsupported inner rim, allowing it to absorb the impact rather than transmit it. The same impact on the outer rim with its the proximity to the spokes could have resulted in a much worse outcome.
    Andrew Macpherson

I just realized that I felt nothing at the rear - that wheel missed completely

Wow,

And a circumstance where the Run flat came in useful. I thought everyone gave those up.
    2000 Red over black

I had been thinking of dumping them at my next tire refresh, but now I think I won't

The road we were on had very little cell coverage - the location we stopped at was almost a mile from where the wheel was damaged. The car was completely drivable throughout the event